Goodbye Jesus

Will religions always exist?

pantheory

Of course here, we are concerned with the problems with Christianity. But to a larger extent, will all the religions of the world eventually  be stamped out like Greek Mythology?

Concerning Christianity and religions in general, communism was against the belief in any religion.  This of course put a big dent in religious beliefs in communist countries because religion of any kind was considered a form of stupidity by the young people educated in those systems. But underneath it all. religion still prevails in some of the older folk, as well as a few of the young people of communism.

After all, religion makes promises, and "Pascal's Wager" says that the belief and practices of  Christianity are a good bet. As an atheist I believe that all religions are a bad bet for the same reasons why believing in Greek Mythology is a bad bet for obvious reasons.  What do you think?

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/

• Super Moderator

The christianity practiced today by fundamentalist evangelicals would be damn near alien to a medieval peasant in 1247CE.  The christianity of a thousand years from now will likely be just as foreign to us today.  Like any virus, it will mutant as necessary for survival. 

• Like 3

My position is that religions will always exist because they are a salve to the fundamental human emotion of fear. Fear is part of our evolution and those who can't deal with it use religion as a means of coping with it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, pantheory said:

will all the religions of the world eventually  be stamped out like Greek Mythology?

On 1/9/2024 at 4:53 PM, older said:

My position is that religions will always exist because they are a salve to the fundamental human emotion of fear. Fear is part of our evolution and those who can't deal with it use religion as a means of coping with it.

Perhaps religion will be stamped out when and if we find a better mechanism for coping with the 'problem' of fear. 

On 1/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, pantheory said:

communism was against the belief in any religion.

Why did it not work then as a replacement for religion? Wouldn't it follow that the 'state' in its allegedly equal distribution of goods and services not create less fear and more contentment? 🤔

I've always wondered....

On 3/26/2024 at 11:40 AM, moxieflux66 said:

Perhaps religion will be stamped out when and if we find a better mechanism for coping with the 'problem' of fear. 

Why did it not work then as a replacement for religion? Wouldn't it follow that the 'state' in its allegedly equal distribution of goods and services not create less fear and more contentment? 🤔

I've always wondered....

Communism did work to a certain extent concerning stamping out religion. Maybe half or even more of the people in China and Russia are atheists, not that I would want or vote for such a system that would ban religion, even though I consider the belief in any religion as simple foolishness -- but everyone should have the right to their own beliefs IMHO, especially if the expression of those beliefs does not hurt anyone including the believer.

They should have know that when you tell people they CAN'T do something, it actually encourages it with a lot of people.

I'm not sure how long religion will be with us, but discouraging higher education will prolong it's life.  And that is what most right wingers do.  

I feel that religion, in some fashion, will be with us for the long haul.  Even "athiest" countries have been unable to stamp out religion, it's much more effective to co-opt it.  Religion claims to answer a question no other system (government/political/economic/societal) can - the afterlife.  The better/worse the promise of the afterlife, the more impetus to achieve/avoid it for the believer.

People are simply not 100% rational, and that's not a bad thing, just a fact of the human condition.  The same irrational passions that can drive beautiful works of art, including music, can be stirred by religious ideas as well.  Religion has an almost peculiar tendency to bring out the best or worst that humanity has to offer on a large scale.  Political movements only wish they could create zealots on the same scale as a even a moderately successful religion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:00 PM, Weezer said:

I'm not sure how long religion will be with us, but discouraging higher education will prolong it's life.  And that is what most right wingers do.  

Can't recall the exact wording, but a pastor of my youth something along these lines:

"a church that encourages its youth to gain degrees, empties its pews by degrees"

The sermon of course was regarding the worldiness of academia and why we needed to safeguard our kids to only christian institutions, but it also exposed something more fundamental; education, writ large, was regarded by my church as hostile to religious belief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, Weezer said:

They should have know that when you tell people they CAN'T do something, it actually encourages it with a lot of people.

You mean like avoiding sexual sins? 😉

2 hours ago, moxieflux66 said:

You mean like avoiding sexual sins? 😉

Ha, those seem to happen regardless.  Sexual desire is even stronger than the fear of hell!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think if we can lose the default respect and honor our country gives to the cult, that will help unplug it. More and more it looks like a completely alien thing, which is good. But even evangelicals are seeing that and speaking out against it. Some lose their positions by doing that, others come from less fundamentalist groups and criticize the complete lack of the teachings of Jesus in many churches now. 

There will always be cults. Humans yearn for magic powers or at least for someone else that has them. I read a blurb this evening about a couple that killed a few people including kids because they thought they had demons. Even when I was in church, I knew of a few small cult groups led by manipulative guys that implied they had special knowledge or in-crowd aire about them. Even one popular Greek teacher I had briefly said that joining his class was like getting married, and he expected us to show up and have done our homework and regard it with utter seriousness. That's how cults start, a popular guy insisting on being a guru/daddy/husband figure instead of a professor. 

The popular Shen Yun performance dance team is a front for the Falun Gong Chinese cult. So cults come in a variety of packaging.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:51 PM, Krowb said:

Can't recall the exact wording, but a pastor of my youth something along these lines:

"a church that encourages its youth to gain degrees, empties its pews by degrees"

The sermon of course was regarding the worldiness of academia and why we needed to safeguard our kids to only christian institutions, but it also exposed something more fundamental; education, writ large, was regarded by my church as hostile to religious belief.

My father used to say "Fill the pulpit with degrees and by degrees you empty the church". Iroinically he would be proud, I think, that I became the first person in our family to get a degree and then go on to get a higher degree.

When I was researching the new charismatic churches in the 80's I was frequently surprised by the number of people I met who were highly educated. I suppose their vibrant worship (eek) was some sort of outlet for stress. It is this fact that makes me think that religion will always be with us.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, Fuego said:

That's how cults start, a popular guy insisting on being a guru/daddy/husband figure instead of a professor. 

I feel attacked. 

• Haha 5