Goodbye Jesus

16F this morning

Fuego

I put out a heated hummingbird feeder a couple of days before the cold and it was nearly frozen solid this morning. It uses a old style christmas bulb to heat the base. Turns out that the food at base is actually liquid, but I don't know how the heat would ever melt the stuff above. I'll have to watch it. In the meantime I put out a 2nd non-heated feeder and will replenish them as they freeze. I can usually re-melt the liquid. 

feeder.jpg

Fuego, are you expecting hummingbirds to be around in these temperatures?  I’m missing something here…

We have quite a few that never leave the area (SW Washington state). When there is no nectar, they focus on gnats and such for food. 

19 minutes ago, Fuego said:

We have quite a few that never leave the area (SW Washington state). When there is no nectar, they focus on gnats and such for food. 

Wow.  Around here (Ohio River Valley) they up and leave in September-October.  Staying around would be a death sentence.  

It rarely gets this cold here. Usually the coldest we see is in the 20s. The forecast is for warming over the next few days.

Well, the idea in concept was fine. But both feeders were frozen solid in an hour. So I took them inside and remelted them on the stove. I put a hand warmer underneath where it counts the most. If the bottom is frozen, the top doesn't matter since they can't eat that. We'll see. I think a warming element down the middle into the base would be the best approach, but I'll have to design that for next year.

Oh, what I'd give for the temperature to go up to 16°F right now!  Current temperature is -15°F (-26°C) with the wind chill making it closer to -40 (F, C, doesn't matter).

I have to get some groceries today, so I plugged in the car block heater to warm up the oil pan - it's been about an hour now, so car is probably ready to go.

Nary a hummingbird in sight - the occasional annoyed crow, and some rabbits and an occasional squirrel.

Just checking one of my favorite cities, San Diego, it's 61 right now. Time to migrate?

• Super Moderator

We were in the 40s here on the Gulf Coast of Florida.  Fortunately, by mid-afternoon tomorrow, I'm sure we'll be back into the 50s and 60s.  Didn't see any hummingbirds today; but our resident Sandhill cranes, storks, and herons were around.

3 hours ago, older said:

San Diego

Nah, the relatives live there and seem to want to move up here. The highlight of the last trip there was going to a Mexican store and getting food. It was totally delish. I may be a bit jaded by having to do work every time we go there rather than vacationing. Meh, part of being a family. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Astreja said:

Oh, what I'd give for the temperature to go up to 16°F right now! 

Same here.  It is midnight in Kansas, and -5 degrees.

Here on the other side of the planet it's the middle of summer and we've had a small heatwave, temps this weekend have been 32-34C (90-93F according to Google).  Got the inflatable pool out for the kids and buckets of suncream.  I'm glad I work from home, I can stay within my aircon haven and not sit in public transport with hordes of sweaty people (at least till Friday when they want me to visit our warehouse 1.5hrs away).

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 9:21 PM, Wertbag said:

Here on the other side of the planet it's the middle of summer and we've had a small heatwave, temps this weekend have been 32-34C (90-93F according to Google).  Got the inflatable pool out for the kids and buckets of suncream.  I'm glad I work from home, I can stay within my aircon haven and not sit in public transport with hordes of sweaty people (at least till Friday when they want me to visit our warehouse 1.5hrs away).

It certainly was a very hot weekend in NZ. We were cooking on the East Coast!

We are also anticipating very cold weather here.  Most of the school systems have shutdown or gone remote for the day.  Looking at 15F tonight.  Got the faucets on a steady drip at the office and home.  Our pipes aren't buried deep enough for temperatures this low.

It’s a winter wonderland here today! IMG_2847.jpeg

• Super Moderator

I was out on the trails yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. 

Screenshot_20240115-153010_Teams.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:30 AM, Fuego said:

I put out a heated hummingbird feeder a couple of days before the cold and it was nearly frozen solid this morning. It uses a old style christmas bulb to heat the base. Turns out that the food at base is actually liquid, but I don't know how the heat would ever melt the stuff above. I'll have to watch it. In the meantime I put out a 2nd non-heated feeder and will replenish them as they freeze. I can usually re-melt the liquid. 

feeder.jpg

Good old Global Warming Cooling :)  That's pretty cold for Vancouver Washington, it being so close to Portland and the river.  In "recent" decades it got down to 1 degrees F in Vancouver Wa. in 1983.