Goodbye Jesus

2024 Self Check-In (Pt. 1)

AnonSan

It's been a while since I have been active on here due to school/work/home obligations. Also, the heavy rain from the past 2 weeks have been pretty crazy that I had to keep a young pine tree in the backyard from being tipped over during a very windy, wet day. 

My husband and I have been pretty busy in school. He is in his second semester in the Masters' program for his engineering field, while I stared taking courses at a snail's pace to be ASCP certified in Histotechnology. Our obligations in our continued education, however, also serves as a temporary "Get Out of Jail Free" pass from further proselytization from my parents, especially after my husband's interaction with a church member I used to know. Not sure if this position will serve as a good/bad thing after completing our academic goals in the future, as who knows what my parents will conspire once my household has more "free time."

My current situation is the calm before the storm. My golden child brother's wedding is scheduled later this year in the summer, which I will not be attending. In short, this upcoming event is enabling my family's toxic dynamic of upholding family "image" on the outside, but dysfunctional behind closed doors to the point of reliving unresolved trauma. However, I have yet to verbally communicate and establish firm boundaries regarding this issue with my family of origin as they are very conflict-avoidant and passive aggressive or dismissive from past interactions. I know this will most likely cause a rift with my family, but is absolutely necessary in terms of prioritizing my (mental) health and establishing a firm statement in how their neglectful actions, which they have yet to take accountable of, have long-term consequences. I refuse to participate in my family's generational (religious) trauma. 

Speaking of boundaries, my parents are ignoring their word. When I agreed to live and rent in my childhood home, they said that they would only come and stay over for a couple of nights once every 5-6 months for family obligations on the paternal side. The last time I hosted them in November, they said their next stay will come around Mother's Day (May) for grandma, which made perfect sense and was agreed once they left. But then my parents, via text, requested to stay over during the coming Presidents' Day weekend... 2 months later. I declined to host them as I already had plans and academic obligations right after that said weekend. Of course, they did not respond to my text after establishing my boundaries, but immediately responded right after my husband sent over the month's rent. The selective communication from my parents' end continue to frustrate me as they cannot acknowledge in respecting personal boundaries. let alone be proactive in resolving conflict.

Otherwise, everything is all well at the AnonSan household. I expect the next few months will become hectic hence the journaling right now. I hope everyone on the forum is doing well living through with our ex-Xtian livelihoods.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Histotechnolgy is an awesome field to pursue.  As much time as I have spent culturing cells and tissue in pharmaceutical labs, I coulda-shoulda-woulda been certified and licensed by now.  Let me know if you ever have questions or need help/advice.