Goodbye Jesus

QUESTION FOR CHRISTIAN NATIONALIST

Weezer

If you are able to turn our nation into a “Christian” nation, which denomination or sect gets to make the rules?  That might create more division than we currently have!  Why aren’t you honest and admit you just want total control?

• Like 3

They're all in on having their cake and eating it too.

It's like how they're more than willing to trot out how there are 2 billion xians in the world whenever they need to have overwhelming numbers but when they don't they're equally willing to start hacking away at those very numbers to remove all those they don't really consider to be actual xians but might still come over to their side if pressured.

So there's 2 billion xians, EXCEPT, the clear cults like Mormons, and Jehovah's Witnesses, and basically all the Catholics.  While we're at it we may as well forget about most of the Protestants and let's not even start with all those other weird ones like Greek Orthodox and all that.

So barring all those frauds the religion is a united whole that is 2 billion strong.

As for which denomination will make the rules?  Why, the xian one of course.  You know, the one with 2 billion members and not one of those other ones.

mwc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks to me like most Americans just aren't that into it....not that xtians would ever give a damn about that! 

Poll: Vast majority of Americans cool to Christian nationalism as its influence grows (axios.com)

• Thanks 1

While the vast majority of Americans may be cool to Christian nationalism, those xians are worming their way into our government and just being "cool" to it is not going to stop it. We have already seen laws and judgments that favor Christian doctrine to the detriment of others, and there have been stories about plans to codify their agenda into law. And there are judges who cite the Bible in their decisions. (https://fortune.com/2024/02/23/alabama-supreme-court-tom-parker-ivf-bible-scripture/)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, moxieflux66 said:

Looks to me like most Americans just aren't that into it....not that xtians would ever give a damn about that! 

Poll: Vast majority of Americans cool to Christian nationalism as its influence grows (axios.com)

31 minutes ago, older said:

While the vast majority of Americans may be cool to Christian nationalism, those xians are worming their way into our government and just being "cool" to it is not going to stop it. We have already seen laws and judgments that favor Christian doctrine to the detriment of others, and there have been stories about plans to codify their agenda into law. And there are judges who cite the Bible in their decisions. (https://fortune.com/2024/02/23/alabama-supreme-court-tom-parker-ivf-bible-scripture/)

Thanks to both of you for those links.  With my wife's prodding, it occured to me a few days ago how serious this situation is.  We already have 6 catholics on the supreme court, The nationalists have been filling state and local positions for decades, and if they get Trump into office he will pardon himself and fill every position he can with right wing fanatics.  We would be in DEEP DODO if Trump gets into office.   The nationalist evidently have the support of some very wealthy people.  It is a power movement with a "christian" facade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In related news this week …

Ghana’s parliament passed a bill criminalising homosexuality. Under its provisions merely identifying as gay carries a prison sentence of up to three years in prison, and forming or funding LGBT groups carries a five-year sentence. The bill—which still needs to be signed by Ghana’s president to become law—is among several recent anti-gay laws passed in Africa. 

- from The Economist.  And Ghana is one of the few democratic countries in Africa.  This parliament was freely elected.  This is why the rights of minorities must always be protected.  Especially minorities we disapprove of.  Because one day the tables can be turned and the majority can become a minority.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, TABA said:

This is why the rights of minorities must always be protected.  Especially minorities we disapprove of.  Because one day the tables can be turned and the majority can become a minority.

I'm on board with protecting minorities, but what minorities is that statement referring to?

I didn’t have any specific minorities in mind.  But I think we each could think of minority groups or minority opinions we dislike and might even wish did not exist.  

4 minutes ago, TABA said:

I didn’t have any specific minorities in mind.  But I think we each could think of minority groups or minority opinions we dislike and might even wish did not exist.  

I suppose so, but I'm going to hold off discussing about this here because I don't want to derail the thread, nor do I want to stir up controversy where it needn't be, so if you want to continue the discussion in DMs, (because I am too curious for my own good) then we can do that. If not that's okay too. I'm curious about what opinions you might dislike or "wish they didn't exist" is all. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Sure, I'd be happy to discuss specifics with you via DM.  Not sure how much time I'll have today, but I think that would be worthwhile.

I just want to clarify a point I've been trying to make, without wanting to derail the thread, even though it's not specifically about Christian Nationalism.   I believe that respecting the rights of minorities is crucial in any country that aspires to call itself Free.  In other words, just winning an election should not allow you to pass whatever laws you want.  That's why a constitution is important, because it can provide safeguards that prevent a group with a simple majority of votes from infringing certain rights.  That's why the US has the Bill of Rights, which basically says "I don't care how many votes you have in Congress, you cannot take away the following rights from people".  Such as the right to express unpopular - even abhorrent or hateful - opinions.  A law passed by a majority in congress can be struck down by the courts because it conflicts with the Constitution.  

I'll leave it there.  Thank You.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TABA said:

Ghana is one of the few democratic countries in Africa.  This parliament was freely elected.  This is why the rights of minorities must always be protected.

People conflate democracy with freedoms for all. Spreading democracy is not some magic panacea.  The "will" of the voters always reflects their beliefs and bias.  And religion is one such very strong belief that will be reflected in a democracy.  Try being a known non-christian elected to any position in the South, ain't happening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Krowb said:

People conflate democracy with freedoms for all. Spreading democracy is not some magic panacea.  The "will" of the voters always reflects their beliefs and bias.  And religion is one such very strong belief that will be reflected in a democracy.  Try being a known non-christian elected to any position in the South, ain't happening.

Yep, if enough people believe something, the constitution can be changed, and certain freedoms fly out the window.

2 hours ago, Weezer said:

Yep, if enough people believe something, the constitution can be changed, and certain freedoms fly out the window.

True.  Fortunately, the US Constitution was designed to be difficult to change, so that it could not be done on a passing whim or at the behest of a slim majority.  To become part of the Constitution, an amendment must be ratified by three-fourths of the states: 38 since 1959.  That is a high hurdle to clear.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TABA said:

True.  Fortunately, the US Constitution was designed to be difficult to change, so that it could not be done on a passing whim or at the behest of a slim majority.  To become part of the Constitution, an amendment must be ratified by three-fourths of the states: 38 since 1959.  That is a high hurdle to clear.  

Unfortunately, the Constitution is subject to interpretation by the Supreme Court, which is a very slim group. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, older said:

Unfortunately, the Constitution is subject to interpretation by the Supreme Court, which is a very slim group. 

........and by other means..shall we talk about the Constitutional Convention? 

Found this from the Brennen Center for Justice; article originally  published on Newsweek: 

Is a New Constitutional Convention a Good Idea? | Brennan Center for Justice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems the Christian Nationalist and wealthy right wing have joined forces and are dead set on making working people pay almost all the taxes, while the wealthy set all the rules in their favor.   A wealthy student at Princeton University explained that to me in 1964 when I was visiting a cousin there.  And the rich are in a better position today to make that happen than they were in 1964. 

Plus giving Christians much more power. Money in their pockets and power in their hands is what they are after. 

• Like 2