Goodbye Jesus

When Was the New Testament Put Together?

JamesDHampton

I have found that many Christians are unaware of the difficulty of the canon of the New Testament and how it came to be. I recently wrote a very brief summarization of how the New Testament list came to be. You can view it on my site here: https://examiningchristianity.com/2024/02/19/when-were-our-27-new-testament-books-accepted-as-authoritative/ 

I would love to hear your feedback or answer any questions you might have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moderator Note: This topic was mistakenly posted in the Pinned section of this forum, so members were unable to respond.  It has now been “unpinned”.  

23 hours ago, JamesDHampton said:

I have found that many Christians are unaware of the difficulty of the canon of the New Testament and how it came to be. I recently wrote a very brief summarization of how the New Testament list came to be. You can view it on my site

Your article is very informative and concise - well done!

Few people, including Christians, realize that the New Testament was developed only over the course of several centuries, with a lot of disagreement along the way as to which books were divinely inspired.  It was very far from the tidy, miraculous process that fundamentalists in particular think it was.

Of course, many fundamentalists believe that the Bible only really came into existence in 1611 with the publication of the King James Version…

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, TABA said:

Of course, many fundamentalists believe that the Bible only really came into existence in 1611 with the publication of the King James Version…

I chuckled at that statement, but sadly their is truth in the statement.

• Like 1

Hello James.

I concur with TABA.  You've done a lot of good work there on a central issue to Christianity - what is canonical to the New Testament.

This might be relevant and of interest to you too.

Heresy: Jesus Christ and the Other Sons of God: Amazon.co.uk: Nixey, Catherine: 9781529040357: Books

Just as which books truly belong in the NT there's also the issue of which Son of God belongs there.

It appears that there were many Sons of God, not just the one we read about in the NT.

Thanks,

Walter.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, seriously I missed this entire thread, which is where I wanted to know about this very subject. Sorry about that, JamesD. I will read your paper and ask you about any further questions. Thanks for this input!