Goodbye Jesus

Daniel Dennett - RIP

disillusioned

I never really agreed with the guy, but he was definitely smart and worth taking seriously. "Breaking the Spell" is a good read.

Rest in peace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, disillusioned said:

I never really agreed with the guy, but he was definitely smart and worth taking seriously. "Breaking the Spell" is a good read.

Rest in peace.

Haven't heard from you for awhile now disillusioned. How goes it?  Yeah, never heard of Daniel Dennett before but will read about him now --  take care.

• Like 1

Dennett was a true thinker.  Often, I would need to read his writing more than once to grasp what he was saying.  He was often a bit thick in other words.  I've read many of his works.  Two of my favorites are:

From Bacteria to Bach and Back: The Evolution of Minds

and

Science and Religion: Are They Compatible?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, disillusioned said:

"Breaking the Spell" is a good read.

Would that mean the spell of religion or xtianity? Is he a recent philosopher? Tell us more.....🤔

• Like 1

23 hours ago, moxieflux66 said:

Would that mean the spell of religion or xtianity? Is he a recent philosopher? Tell us more.....🤔

Dennett was one of the "four horsemen" and was also deeply involved in The Clergy Project:

Daniel C. Dennett’s Predictions for The Clergy Project 

“In the short run, it will not only provide guidance and support and community for those who are trapped in their pulpits, but also provide a perspective on the clerical life that might alert many idealistic young people to the dangers, and dissuade them from committing themselves to such a life. This in turn might starve the churches of pastors and priests, until they have to let in the sunlight and change the nature of ministry altogether. Ideally, individual churches or whole denominations might quite forthrightly forsake the double-talk and hypocrisy and make it clear to young and old within the church that these rituals are symbolic celebrations of life, illustrated with strange and wonderful myths that can inspire us to live better lives, and that there is no obligation to try to believe in their literal truth. Then church services could evolve into a new kind of theater, intended to refocus folks’ attention on things more important than their mundane projects, and inspiring them to contribute their time, effort, and yes, money to making the world a better place.” 

Daniel C. Dennet Interview. As recorded by Catherine Dunphy in From Apostle to Apostate: The Story of the Clergy Project. Durham: Pitchstone, 2015.  Pg 47. 
  • Thanks 1