Goodbye Jesus

Looking for resources

KrustyKrabPizza

Hi my apologies this isn’t going to be a testimony instead its a search for helpful resource. I just wasnt sure where to put this discussion under. 

What resources helped you guys deconstruct? Whether it was a book, an article, online website, video, etc.. I would appreciate reliable resources 

Anything about the bible, science, psychology, etc.. Whatever helped you guys cause to be honest im having kind of a hard time and feel like im just reading random stuff here and there

Thank you all 

Forgot to ask for resources that may also explain Christian/Spiritual experiences or phenomenon such as tongues, demons, prophecy, healings

DIABOLIC TRINITY  by a guy named "Karris" is excelent book (available on Kindle) for dealing with trauma and the fear of Hell.  Also for dealing with the thoughts that can occur, "what if They (christianity) is right and I am wrong?"  And for undersstanding how the early childhood conditioning from parents and church can get such a firm grip on people.  Experiences even in the first year of life that you don't even remember can have a huge effect on your fear of abnondonment and punishment.    

• Like 1

For me, many decades ago the best resource was reading the science of biology. Read the first chapter of the Bible, Genesis first. after that read the theory of natural selection. After reading both most can understand that the Book of Genesis cannot possibly be more than pure BS since there is more than a mountain of evidence to support the theory of natural selection. If one can believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny, then one can also believe in the Bible of almost any religion, I promise 🤡

• Like 1

I have been on the road for over fifteen years following retirement from Christian ministry.

I enjoy reading! (I used to read Strong’s Theology before settling down at night – eek) It’s been a struggle (and in some senses still is a struggle) to sort out my beliefs after so many years a Christian and so much commitment to the church and ministry. I have grown into a full atheist position but still feel that I need to read more of the absurdity of Christianity and its basic beliefs. So you may understand this mixed list of books that have helped me down the years. In no particular order.

Godless for God’s sake by David Boulton was a very important starter.

The Jesus Mysteries by Freke and Gandy really got me thinking!

The Age of reason by Thomas Paine.

Did Jesus exist (1986 edition) by G A Wells (my present reading, rather difficult)

God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

Who on Earth was Jesus by David Boulton.

All that’s wrong with the Bible by Jonah Conner.

The End of Faith by Sam Harris.

Atheism for Dummies.

The Dark Side by Valerie Tarico.

Jesus interupted by Bart Ehrman.

Goodbye Jesus by Tim Sledge.

The Portable Atheist (selected readings by Christopher Hitchens).

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman.

Crazy for God by Frank Schaeffer.

The world’s sixteen crucified Saviours by Kersey Graves.

I'd be interested to know what you find helpful from your own researches.

• Like 3

While Nontheist has given you enough to keep you busy for a long time, I'll toss this one onto the list: A Manual for Creating Atheists, by Peter Boghossian.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Don't underestimate resources that aren't actually "resources."  What I mean is that focusing on other things besides trying to explain all of the inexplicables can often be a profound source of enlightenment and relief.  Take up a completely unrelated hobby, or study a new language.  Learn to quilt.  Maybe just focus on upgrading the house for a bit.  If it doesn't help, I'll admit I was wrong; but you'll feel like you've accomplished something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is another very informative book that is not directly related to the subjects you are questioning, but is an overall view of the development of human beings that puts the whole concept of the biblical God and related religions into question.  I believe looking at the big picture is a more effective way of putting those individual concepts to rest, than focusing directly on them.  The book.  SAPIENS, by Yuval Noah Harari

• Like 1

KrustyKrabPizza: I've read your testimony with interest.

Do you have any resources that you have found that might be helpful to others? Perhaps you have specific questions that folk here may be able to respond to?

I know people would be pleased to hear from you.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

When I originally deconverted, it was because I realized I'd been tricked into following a cult. During my belief, I tended to only listen to Christian sources and shut out the others. But when I started questioning, it was like a flood of all the things I'd stored up over the years came rushing through my mind because I'd seen and heard so many things that didn't add up.

It still took a good year of praying, fasting, really asking questions, getting no answers, and eventually concluding no one was listening. I wrote out all of the troubling things I'd seen in scripture (god being a complete wank by setting up humanity in the garden, god having body parts, the cosmology of Genesis being messed up, Tower of Babel is tiny compared to skyscrapers but god is fine with those, airplanes go higher yet, spacecraft we built go up above and keep going without hitting a dome that separates us from Heaven, god blessing mass rape and genocide, etc). Even with built-in anxiety since I was small, I was able to overcome fear when I realized I was part of a cult and got angry at being deceived. 

These days I like to watch videos by Bart Ehrman on YouTube. He covers all kinds of reasons why the stories we have in the Bible are not historically accurate or eyewitness testimonies (they are made up by writers from different groups). Other scholars on YouTube like Dan McClellan and Digital Hammurabi take apart all kinds of claims of believers using actual history and knowledge of ancient languages. 

I also echo what TheRedneckProfessor wrote, get yourself involved in actual life doing things you enjoy and being with people you like, and you'll get used to not even thinking about the woo claims and ooga-booga fears of the cult. I took dance lessons, voice lessons, and now have a gang of musician friends. I garden, get out in nature, and cook well. Find fun, find humor, and explore your own unique self that has been suppressed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1