Goodbye Jesus

How Is This An Answer?

HoustonHorn

I read on a Christian forum about a guy questioning God. As part of that he put a knife down and prayed that God would flip the knife over. Of course the knife didn't move and the prayer went unanswered. After some thought he went and flipped the knife over himself and used that as proof of the prayer being answered.

How is that an answer? To me it doesn't seem like proof that God answers prayers. It seems like it's proof that this guy wants to believe that God answers prayers.

Oh it is a proof alright...

...of the questioner's desperation :fdevil:

You don't have a link to this rather recognisably Christian story, do you? It would be fun to read, maybe see if anyone has any sensible comments to make!

well, sure, it was an answered prayer... God sent HIM to flip the knife over as a request and prayer of the knife being flipped over. He's his own prophet. After all, the knife WAS flipped over, eh?

You don't have a link to this rather recognisably Christian story, do you? It would be fun to read, maybe see if anyone has any sensible comments to make!

It's on ChristianForums. I inadvertantly hijacked the thread because I thought he was in a pretty similar place as me.

The story proves the man was God. I give prayer answer to myself all the time. For instance, the latest miracles was that I asked for some coffee this morning, and I started the brewer, and within minutes it was ready. Reallly cool. I turned water into coffee.

The story proves the man was God. I give prayer answer to myself all the time. For instance, the latest miracles was that I asked for some coffee this morning, and I started the brewer, and within minutes it was ready. Reallly cool. I turned water into coffee.

Oh, now I'm really confused. I'm drinking coffee right now. I seem to remember making it, but I was pretty spacy at the time. So am I a god, too, or should I be thanking you for this blessing? Or should I just drink another cup, and see if things get clearer?

Since the world is just an illusion, and only you exists, you are God in your world, and I'm God in my world. So you made the miracle of turning water to coffee in your space. :)

Since the world is just an illusion, and only you exists, you are God in your world, and I'm God in my world. So you made the miracle of turning water to coffee in your space. :)

And I looked at the coffee that I had made, and I tasted it, and behold! It was good.

Espresso 1:14

Guest tigg13

Wow! World peace, global warming, children dying from poverty: those prayers don't get answered. But, flipping knives - that he's got time for.

The guy was lucky that he didn't ask god to have the knife dance the Cha cha.

I read on a Christian forum about a guy questioning God. As part of that he put a knife down and prayed that God would flip the knife over. Of course the knife didn't move and the prayer went unanswered. After some thought he went and flipped the knife over himself and used that as proof of the prayer being answered.

How is that an answer? To me it doesn't seem like proof that God answers prayers. It seems like it's proof that this guy wants to believe that God answers prayers.

He must have decided, if God doesn't stop me from flipping the knife myself, it means he agrees with me! He should've done what Homer Simpson did and pray something like, "God, if your answer is Yes, do not give me any signs..."

Wow! World peace, global warming, children dying from poverty: those prayers don't get answered. But, flipping knives - that he's got time for.

Yeah. Exactly.

It's not an answer at all. He did it himself, not god. He's just using mental gymnastics to make himself believe in it.

Hehe - that was the bit where Homer is praying before bedtime and says (something like):

"Lord, thank you for taking care of me and my family. As an offering of thanks, I give you: this milk and cookies. If it is thy will for me to eat these milk and cookies, give me no sign." Pause. "Thy will be done."

Seriously - was that knife story fpr REAL?

I don't know if it was real or not. He posted a pretty long message calling himself a seeker and then after a few replies posted that he went and flipped the knife and believed again. Seems almost like a planted post.

And I posted a follow up mentioning that it didn't seem like proof of God, but proof of him wanting to believe. Haven't gotten a reply to that yet.

And I posted a follow up mentioning that it didn't seem like proof of God, but proof of him wanting to believe. Haven't gotten a reply to that yet.

Ah yes, the standard fundie way of dealing with reality: Ignore it. :lmao:

Oh, I just came up with the "perfect" proof of God:

My prayer: God, if you exists, don't answer my prayer.

I waited, and no answer, so he must exist.

To be sure, I prayed: God, if you don't exist, tell me.

I waited again, still no answer, so he really must exist.

First prayers God ever answered 100%!

:HaHa: