Goodbye Jesus

Ex-christian On Wiki

Poonis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-Christian

Looking for NPOV contributors.

Looks pretty good, Poonis.

May I ask a question, regarding the Deconversion section, from the outside looking in?

De-conversion is the process of apostasy and the matter of how long it takes is often based upon the depth of the apostate's involvement within Christianity. For example, someone who has considered themselves a Christian for a few months will likely have a rapid de-conversion versus someone who was born into fundamentalist Christianity and has spent the majority of their life in it. It is not uncommon in this case for a full de-conversion to take many years.

Full de-conversion does not consist in dropping every inherent belief at once, but rather slowly rejecting a belief after examination, reflection, and ponderance. De-conversion is not the original goal by those who have undergone it, but instead was simply a natural consequence of their experiences, sometimes with their original intent being simply to better understand their faith.

How would you folks quantify the Ex-Christian community. Do most ex-Christians you know come from the more strict, literalist and fundamentalist backgrounds?

Has anyone ever done any surveys on this type of thing to find out?

I ask because, although I know many people from mainstream (non-literalist) backgrounds who do not feel the need to attend church, or be involved in organized religion, they still consider themselves Christian.

In my experience (outside looking in) the ex-christians in my life are people who have had to deal with a literalistic view of the Bible. (It's either all "true" or all "false"). I've come to believe this is a very real dynamic for leaving Christianity. If you all feel that literalism makes it impossible to find middle ground - then that should be part of the article as well.

When I was a Christian, I didn't believe it was absolutely all true, for example the creation stories. However, once I started digging for the "origins" of man's relationship with god (I figured the farther back I went the more I could pare away the BS and find truth), I very quickly realized two things:

1. The traditional Christian idea of god is definitely incorrect.

2. If there is a Creator, it does not interact with the universe, ala Deism.

Dan

I did a minor spelling and grammar fix on the main page. Overall, I like the entry.