Goodbye Jesus

Davinci Code Rant

ThePureOne

I'm getting so tired of seeing articles like this one lately:

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle....C1-ArticlePage3

They want to pursue legal action? Fine, first prove legally that there is a shred of truth to Christianity, or sit down and shut up. You want a disclaimer on the movie that it's a work of fiction? Fine, put one on every Bible too.

This article goes a step further than this typical hypocrisy/delusion/intellectual compartmentalization, or whatever you want to call it. It's noteworthy in that 1) these are high-level Cardinals expressing this opinion, 2) they are talking as if Christianity's (purported) tolerance and forgiveness are a bad thing(!), and 3) most shockingly they are advocating an Islam-style intolerance!

Geez, one movie and the Christians are willing to roll the clock back 1000 years. Some things never change.

I'm getting so tired of seeing articles like this one lately:

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle....C1-ArticlePage3

They want to pursue legal action? Fine, first prove legally that there is a shred of truth to Christianity, or sit down and shut up. You want a disclaimer on the movie that it's a work of fiction? Fine, put one on every Bible too.

This article goes a step further than this typical hypocrisy/delusion/intellectual compartmentalization, or whatever you want to call it. It's noteworthy in that 1) these are high-level Cardinals expressing this opinion, 2) they are talking as if Christianity's (purported) tolerance and forgiveness are a bad thing(!), and 3) most shockingly they are advocating an Islam-style intolerance!

Geez, one movie and the Christians are willing to roll the clock back 1000 years. Some things never change.

It's fine with me if the christians want to make a big stink about a work of fiction. The more controversy they stir up, the more people will see the movie, and maybe just some of them will begin to question the babble they've been force fed.

It's fine with me if the christians want to make a big stink about a work of fiction. The more controversy they stir up, the more people will see the movie, and maybe just some of them will begin to question the babble they've been force fed.

Oh, I agree. I read something along the lines that over 50% of people surveyed felt the book had an impact on their spiritual views. This is why the religionists are in a panic. I hope the success of the book and movie breeds even more "fantasies on top of fantasies".

It just blows my mind when I read so many lines like "it makes it seem an ancient religion is based on a deception". Gee, really? Let's get right to the point shall we? The biggest secret, fraud, and hoax already has a name: "Jesus".

Well, a legal action is gerarally a demand for monitary damages, so I think this would be a GOOD thing. If the Vatican want to pursue it, they'll be forced to admit the real issue - that they've lost money as a result of someone believing movie fiction instead of their own.

Is it just me or is it really strange that the cardinal said "Christians must not just sit back and say it is enough for us to forgive and to forget," 4th paragraph. :scratch:

Wait a minute, I thought that was exactly what Christians were supposed to do?? Geez, if holding grudges and not forgiving is being xian then it looks like im on the wrong site. :thanks:

Well, at least Christians aren't rioting in the streets and sending Jihad hit squads after Dan Brown

I finally read the book a few weeks ago, what a disappointment. The real point of the book seemed to be whitewashing the Masons, I found the plot predictable and mundane. I felt the same about National Treasure when that came out a few years ago, it's more like a Masonic infomercial than an action thriller.

It doesn't bother me that the DaVinci Code implies that a certain ancient religion is based on deception, what bothers me is that they imply Catholicism is the ONLY ancient religion based on deception.

Wake up people, all religions are fictional.

I bought the paperback a couple weeks ago and read it.

Yes, very similiar to "National Treasure".

I also expected a bit more meat. What dissapointed me the most was that the whole book takes place within approximately 24 hours. But all in all, I enjoyed it.

I am curious enough to see how the movie looks and will probably go see it. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the movie, but since the established Church insists we must not, and since my own personal church will be handing out tracts to people leaving the theater, I will go just to "stick it to the man". If it'll piss them off, I go. :)

I finally read the book a few weeks ago, what a disappointment. The real point of the book seemed to be whitewashing the Masons, I found the plot predictable and mundane. I felt the same about National Treasure when that came out a few years ago, it's more like a Masonic infomercial than an action thriller.

My parents have both read the book and are excited about the movie... UGH! I told them straight-out that I DO NOT want to read it. I've seen too many "Is the Da Vinci Code true???" programs to want to read the book, because I know it's not something I'm interested it.

I just want people to get over it already!

This book is the most overrated in recent history.

I read it a few months ago. BORING. NEXT.

wat happen to "turn the other cheek?"

This may be a tad bit off topic…but the thing that bothers me is that I’ve heard some Christians that I grew up with talking about protesting and preaching at the movie theaters when the movie actually does start playing. To me, that’s just fucking rude. I instantly start to wonder how the Christians would’ve reacted if a whole bunch of secular people started to protest and “preach” secularism at the theater while the movie Passion of Christ played? They would feel violated and bashed, right? Why can’t they see that that is exactly how the Da Vinci moviegoers are going to feel? The Christians are not going to get anywhere by that irritating tactic…. they’re just going to piss a hell of a lot of people off.

The Christians just need to realize it’s a fiction movie/book and just get the fuck over it. :rolleyes:

I liked the book. I know it is fiction, but there is still truth to the topics discussed in the book. I think Tom Hanks was a very good choice for this role. I'm going to see it opening day. Hell, I might see it 2 or 3 times... :woohoo::wicked:

They want to pursue legal action?
I think it's time for non-believers to pursue legal action against the church for misrepresenting people who don't believe what they believe.

Well, a legal action is gerarally a demand for monitary damages, so I think this would be a GOOD thing. If the Vatican want to pursue it, they'll be forced to admit the real issue - that they've lost money as a result of someone believing movie fiction instead of their own.

The Church needs to make up for the losses they've taken over the priest sex abuse scandals somehow. Maybe this is one way to get their money back?

Well, a legal action is gerarally a demand for monitary damages, so I think this would be a GOOD thing....
I whole-heartedly agree. Let's move the debate to where their hearts truly are. It's all about money..

I also think it's great that the Xtians have their panties in a bunch once more over a work of fiction. I remember their picket lines in front of The Exorcist back in the 1970s. They were warning everyone that they'd experiance something more than the content of the movie (demon possesion) if they watched the film. I replied "What? All for the price of a ticket? This sounds more fun than Cinerama or surround sound."

The more ridiculous causes Xtians take up they show just how ridiculous their beliefs are.

• Down with The Divinci Code
  • Remove Harry Potte from the library.
  • Rebuke the TeleTubbies

I saw a 4 disc DVD set at Costco yesterday - an "educational course" on how to decypher the entire Da Vinci Code :lmao:

The Church needs to make up for the losses they've taken over the priest sex abuse scandals somehow. Maybe this is one way to get their money back?

This occurred to me as well. I'm sure the church is desperately seeking a new source of income as donations have dropped off. Many of the Catholics I know do not want to hand over donations that will be used to defend pedophiles.

This occurred to me as well. I'm sure the church is desperately seeking a new source of income as donations have dropped off. Many of the Catholics I know do not want to hand over donations that will be used to defend pedophiles.

Maybe they could get some of their money back by holding an Altar Boy Slave Auction. :lmao:

Maybe they could get some of their money back by holding an Altar Boy Slave Auction. :lmao:

oooooo, that was nasty! :lmao:

never read the book never had an interest

My question is how are people so stupid? Think about it people you bought it in the FICTION SECTION WTF!!!???? It really makes me want to lash out and smack some people but that wouldn't make me a very nice person....

This is how I know that there is not god stupidity isn't pianful. :D

It is sunday morning and I am flipping through the channels and what do I see, every other precher waving a copy of the Davinci Code. "It is the "DEVIL'S TRASH" they say, "A book full of lies, misinformation, inconsistenties, and contradictions!".....Hellooooo :Doh: .give me a break! Then they go on to tell them why they should not go see the movie directed by Opie! Yep I heard one preacher make that exact comment. These people need to get a life.. And then they go on to say to pray and read thier bible for the truth. What is so funny 90% of the flock will go home and put the bible back on the self until next week. Most preachers know this and they count on it. They know that if person really study the bible they may see the problems and this will never do. It is all about $$$$ and control. This novel may hit cord and cause many to question and this will take away thier (CLERGY) credibility. I say..READ YOUR BIBLE CHILDREN.. :lmao:

I read the book and plan to see the movie..

I'm actually more pissed off at the media for actually giving this book the appearance of having a shred of evidence. I'm willing to bet there probably was some guy named Jesus who walked around and did a lot of sermoning to Jewish locals in the Roman era, as there were many others who did the exact same thing - although I wouldn't attribute all the stories in the Bible to him. But this whole "cover-up" of the church and Knights Templar and what-not being revealed in paintings?

And YES, people actually believe this stuff! (Probably the same way they believe in the Egyptian pharaohs using anti-gravity machines to build the pyramids, and the Mayans making 13 crystal skulls which formed a vast supercomputer of information far surpassing our measly Microsoft attempts of the modern era.) Even when the much-advertised A&E specials admit at the end that the book doesn't have a fat chance in hell, they still eat it up like pancakes.

Oh well. So what else is new........

The Davinci Code is simply another proof that Fundy's and other Evangelical Christians really do mastrubate, yell, and pray simutaneously.
And fling poo. Don't forget, flingin' poo.