Goodbye Jesus

New Chick Tracts Racist?

Lautermilich

Chick has come out with the first two tracts redone for blacks. They explain why on this web page.

http://www.chick.com/newseries.asp?wpc=newseries.asp&wpp=a

But would would Jesse Jackson or other black activists think of a tract showing a black man beating a child and tossing him in out in the rain to die as this tract shows?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1102/1102_01.asp

It is PC to bash caucasions but it is not to do it to any minorities.

Perhaps we should complain to the NAACP about this.

I wonder how physically painful it was for Chick to redo his tracts, the prejudiced bastard!

Taph

Painful? The man probably shot one off after every panel, the sick fuck. He must really get off on trashing everyone who's not him - that's the only way I can explain it.

It is PC to bash caucasions but it is not to do it to any minorities.

And I fail to see just WHAT THE FUCK this has to do with ANYTHING. Sounds like someone's just pissy about not being able to openly express their own racist attitudes without being told to shut up, if you ask me. But, then again, most of that post was so rambling that I couldn't follow a single sentence without asking myself "WTF is this person babbling about?", so maybe I just misunderstood.

Jack Chick trashes on EVERYBODY. E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y. Do you know what that spells? He'll trash on caucasians just as readily as he'll trash on black, Native Americans, or Middle Easterners.

I'm not black, and even I find this offensive. I find ALL of his garbage offensive, but this little gem ranks right up there with the one where he not-so-subtly implied that all Middle Eastern men were sex-crazed child molesters who want to kidnap and rape sweet, innocent little American girls. Or the one where it was strongly hinted at that pagans engage in human sacrifice.

I am black and yes it is racist. His drawing especially of the one with the little black kid are exactly like depictions of sambo's back in the day. And there are many stereotypes. It may not be intentionally racist since blacks are still depicted this way in cartoons today. He might just be going off of stereotypes and may just be misinformed.

I'm not offended since all chick tracks just are garbage christian propoganda anyway. I would never take it seriously

I'm Black too and I don't find the new tract "Hard Times" the least bit racist. On the contrary, since it updates a tract Brother Jack published at least eighteen years ago with white characters, it's actually inclusive. I don't believe Brother Jack drew this one at all, at least not the Black characters in it. The style is decidely Filipino. Brother Jack has a couple of Filipino cartoonists on staff. The design of their characters' lips is always distinctive.

It truly saddens me that there can be so much hate in the world...

Jack Chick trashes on EVERYBODY. E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y. Do you know what that spells? He'll trash on caucasians just as readily as he'll trash on black, Native Americans, or Middle Easterners.

And a number of groups which have nothing to do with any "racial"/"ethnical" distinctions too. Somehow I just remembered his bullshit tract on roleplayers...

...yeah right. All roleplayers are evil occultists and satanists. I wonder how this fits me, considering my current roleplaying activities... gamemastering one campaign in today's word, where the players are fighting a power that is definitely the christian saaataaan if there ever was one in this imaginary world... and playing in one other campaign... an angel.

Man, if there ever was a perfect synonym for "bullshit" it's "chicken tracts" :fdevil:

it wouldn't suprise me if they was racist they're against everything else. everything that exists theirs a tract against exept maybe jesus lol

I am black and yes it is racist. His drawing especially of the one with the little black kid are exactly like depictions of sambo's back in the day.

You know, somewhere else on the web I found a comment on chicken's "big daddy" tract containing the remark that the Ebil Evilutionist professor™ looks remarkably like the 3rd reich caricatures of Jews while the Good Christian™ student appears to be such a perfect aryan that himmler himself would have been proud of the brat :vent:

Then I checked out the online version of that tract... and found that this comment is 100 % correct... :banghead:

(Gee, to think that some people still claim that we Germans are nazi scum by default...)

I am black and yes it is racist. His drawing especially of the one with the little black kid are exactly like depictions of sambo's back in the day.

You know, somewhere else on the web I found a comment on chicken's "big daddy" tract containing the remark that the Ebil Evilutionist professor looks remarkably like the 3rd reich caricatures of Jews while the Good Christian student appears to be such a perfect aryan that himmler himself would have been proud of the brat :vent:

Then I checked out the online version of that tract... and found that this comment is 100 % correct... :banghead:

(Gee, to think that some people still claim that we Germans are nazi scum by default...)

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0055/0055_01.asp for those that want to see this tract.

I am black and yes it is racist. His drawing especially of the one with the little black kid are exactly like depictions of sambo's back in the day. And there are many stereotypes. It may not be intentionally racist since blacks are still depicted this way in cartoons today. He might just be going off of stereotypes and may just be misinformed.

I'm not offended since all chick tracks just are garbage christian propoganda anyway. I would never take it seriously

OK this is not racist and yes I'm black too. How is it racist to depict some drunk black d00d beating some young child and not giving a damn about it? Crap like this happens - that doesn't mean it has to be fucking pretty. Its stereotypical of "POOR" people in general for that too happen. Just like its stereotypical of BLACK people with a higher education and bigger salaries to speak english correctly. I'm not saying slang is inherently bad;however, thats just the way things work.

Racism is the idea of one race being "better" than another race, which is rediculously flawed and stupid. And then ignorant people misconstrue the meaning even more to associate things like "stereotypical" and ethic characteristics along with racism.

Was the color purple racist because it showed a black mean being cruel to black women? Would it have been racist if it showed a white man being cruel to black women? Black man being cruel to white women? No, it shows how fucked up men can be to women. Which is why we have the feminist movement and angry androgenous lesbians.(i think the androgenous lesbians are hot btw).

White adults can be just as cruel or even worse to adolesents as depicted in that cartoon. Generally the trend follows if they are poor and idiotic. Though there are exceptions to every rule.

If not for the stupidity associate with religion in this cartoon, I would consider it a bold step to try to reach out to people of other racial backgrounds. Lets face it, its nice to see people who look like you on television and that follows with cartoons. It shows that people can look beyond race and see personalities with your local programing when we're PC about shit. (it also shows that you recognize that not everyone is white that might be looking at your program)...

I agree with you on most points. It's great to try to reach out to the black community. I'm not even saying it is intentionally rasict. But did you feel that the older cartoons of blacks or sambos were racist? I'm talking the cartoons right during the time slavery was abolished. They had big lips, big white eyes and looked ape like.

sambo.jpg

To me the character shown here and the one in the book are similar. Now the author might not have been trying to be racist but he is depicting a stereotype of african americans.

How is it racist to depict some drunk black d00d beating some young child and not giving a damn about it? Crap like this happens - that doesn't mean it has to be fucking pretty. Its stereotypical of "POOR" people in general for that too happen. Just like its stereotypical of BLACK people with a higher education and bigger salaries to speak english correctly. I'm not saying slang is inherently bad;however, thats just the way things work.

You're right. It's mostly people in poverty that are depicted this way whether white or black. In society that is how things are. But sadly up until recently almost all blacks were depicted as poverty strict, ignorant and aggressive in nature. Before these depictions we were seen as no better than animals since we were drawn being eaten by alligators and such. The author of the track I feel is just a little behind the times and is just attempting to depict blacks how he stereotypically views them. In both tracks he didn't depict either of the black characters as upper class but how he felt the common man would view blacks, poor, broken families and ignorant. When a bunch of stereotypes are placed onto one group of people of a particular race it is racist and doesn't necessarily have to be hateful.

Sorry here is a comparison so you can judge for yourself if the depiction of a black child is similar to older rasict depictions of sambos.

1102_05.gifL2.jpg

Personally I just think its a persons artistic impression of a poor black child. Actually the big eyes make him look very innocent as compared to the old asshole that beats him. I see a few similarities, but many more differences in regard to the sambo pictures. In regard to the other tract you should take in consideration the black woman that was drawn that didn't look anything like what is shown in those old comics.

Yes I feel those sambo pictures were racist in nature.

I just don't think its fair to even say the tracts are "unintentionally racist" because that is still saying that they are racist. It would be a more accurate statement to say that the style of the art work partially resembles those done back during the abolistionist movement - however, you cannot say that because they remsemble those particular pictures that they are racist. The latter part is totally inaccurate. The boy doesn't even look like an ape - its justs one cartoonists impression.

By the way, you said the tract was racist in your first post and now you're not saying its racist or even unintentionally racist. I'm not trying to be a basturd here, but which is it?

You also can't confuse stereotypes with racism. Take for example, the "the mind of mencia" - who makes jokes in reference to stereotypes of different races. You might call him a racist. However, to do so you need to know for sure that he thinks one race is better than another, a belief I'd bet my left nut he doesn't hold. When I say stereotype I mean an action or tradition that is thought to be practiced by a particular ethic or racial group.

I think lots of whites have stupid predujices towards blacks, much of which is fueled by what they see on television and hear in music or just bad experiences(ie living in a crappy inner city).

I remember walking to my car from a party and looking a few black guys, one of which yelled out "why is it whenever white people sees a black person they get scared." And I'm thinking to myself, self "white people aren't scared when they look at me." In fact, they look at me and say to themselves, "harmless" or "sexy" (yes that was pretty self-loving wasn't it?) Its probably got something to do with the fact that(I stole austin powers mojo, jk) I don't want to give the impression of super hardcore thug gang banger, I'm going to whoop your ass if you stare at me the wrong way... SON!. And I accomplish that by trying to look like i stepped out of jcpennies add - yall should shop there cause I bought two nice shirts for 2 dollars each that originally went for 30 dollars each. (nice gift coupons) :-D

Sorry for digressing, but I don't think the picture was racist... lol I think the person who made the tract is retarded for believing in religion though...

Personally I just think its a persons artistic impression of a poor black child. Actually the big eyes make him look very innocent as compared to the old asshole that beats him. I see a few similarities, but many more differences in regard to the sambo pictures. In regard to the other tract you should take in consideration the black woman that was drawn that didn't look anything like what is shown in those old comics.

Well the child would be a pickaninney (spelling?). They had big eyes, big lips and very dark skin. You are correct with the depiction of the black woman.

I just don't think its fair to even say the tracts are "unintentionally racist" because that is still saying that they are racist. It would be a more accurate statement to say that the style of the art work partially resembles those done back during the abolistionist movement - however, you cannot say that because they remsemble those particular pictures that they are racist. The latter part is totally inaccurate. The boy doesn't even look like an ape - its justs one cartoonists impression.

The man looks like an ape he would be the sambo. Actually he'd be a coon but whatever. I think personally that we would agree on a lot of issues but our definitions of racist are different. I'll touch on that a little later.

By the way, you said the tract was racist in your first post and now you're not saying its racist or even unintentionally racist. I'm not trying to be a basturd here, but which is it?

My first sentence in that post sets a wrong in impression. I do clarify in my first post saying that I think he might be unintentionally racist. I thought I made it clear my fault.

You also can't confuse stereotypes with racism. Take for example, the "the mind of mencia" - who makes jokes in reference to stereotypes of different races. You might call him a racist. However, to do so you need to know for sure that he thinks one race is better than another, a belief I'd bet my left nut he doesn't hold. When I say stereotype I mean an action or tradition that is thought to be practiced by a particular ethic or racial group.

Here is where are definitions of racist are different. To me, when someone does something that resembles a racist or descriminatory act that was done in slavery time then it is racist. Like a white person calling a black man the "N-word". He may just be saying it cause he heard it in a rap video but to most blacks the act he did is racist. But yeah by your definition he the cartoon wouldn't be racist. As far as comedians I hold them in a different light. If a certian comedian only made fun of the stereotypes of one race then it would be racist but when they make fun of all races including there own like carlos mecia then it's not. It's even better if they are brave enough to make those jokes in front of the race they are making fun of. To me it helps social progression. But yeah "Mind of Mencia" isn't racist but he isn't funny either.

I think lots of whites have stupid predujices towards blacks, much of which is fueled by what they see on television and hear in music or just bad experiences(ie living in a crappy inner city).

Whites and middle class blacks have predujices toward blacks as well. You'd be surprised the number of people who are black that talk down their own race. Well maybe you wouldn't be surprised.

I remember walking to my car from a party and looking a few black guys, one of which yelled out "why is it whenever white people sees a black person they get scared." And I'm thinking to myself, self "white people aren't scared when they look at me." In fact, they look at me and say to themselves, "harmless" or "sexy" (yes that was pretty self-loving wasn't it?) Its probably got something to do with the fact that(I stole austin powers mojo, jk)...

......I accomplish that by trying to look like i stepped out of jcpennies add - yall should shop there cause I bought two nice shirts for 2 dollars each that originally went for 30 dollars each. (nice gift coupons)

Umm... yeah I can see why they aren't scared of you. LOL. j/k

Sorry for digressing, but I don't think the picture was racist... lol I think the person who made the tract is retarded for believing in religion though...

You made good points and I see where your coming from. I believe it comes down to personal opinion.

I fail to see the "racism" in any of the new tracts. It's just the same spiritual hate-speech Chickie is infamous for, ie, everyone who is not a hardcore fundygelical Xian is an evil psychotic nutjob. Chickie is an equal-opportunity hate-monger - we're all a bunch of worthless honkies, niggers, spics, injuns, gooks, fags, dykes, and so forth because we don't have Jeezus™ in our hearts. That's the essence of Xianity.

It's the usual pots-and-kettles scenario - call everyone else evil and promote salvation via a god who hates the world so much he sent his son to preach a confusing load of crap as the condition for said salvation, thereby ensuring no one would ever get into heaven and said god can whack off to their eternal torture. There's your John 3:16 for ya.