Goodbye Jesus

Hello

StrawberrySundae

I was directed to your site by someone on christianforums.net. I guess he could see I would fit in better here. :)

I was raised funamentalist. When I was 8- in the third grade, my taecher had a halloween project where we had to color ghosts and goblins and witches, etc. Of course when my mom found out about it, she threw a FIT. Had me released from the project, and sat me down for about an hour talking about how ghosts and such were the work of the devil, and how my teacher was obviously not a christian or she would never have allowed such an assignment. I basically thought, I know and understand the difference between reality and make believe, fantasy and truth. Making such a big deal out of cartoon images is STUPID! It was at that point I started questioning the existance of god. How could god be so stupid as to think coloring a halloween ghost would make me start worshipping satan? It also made me distrust my parents and start doubting anything they told me.

I also was never allowed to believe in santa claus, tooth fairy, etc., as it was akin to worshipping a false idol. Anyone else?

Anyway, I spent most of my childhood and teen years trying to convince myself I did believe in god, going to church several times a week, teaching Sunday school, etc. When I got into high school I started noticing the behaviors of people who called themselves 'christian.' Adulterers, liars, selfish people. The way they treated gay people made me sick. Not all, certainly I have known many good christians. But the bad ones weren't just bad, they were the head of my church.

Then I started asking questions. How can such a wonderful god be so cruel to innocent children, etc. I have seen many of the same questions asked here. It was so amazing to come here for the first time and see that. For so many years I wondered why no one esle asked those questions, and was it something wrong with me, or them?? Thanks to you all, I know its them. ;)

The typical answers were- it was all in faith. And when I really started pushing for answers, was told I was a blasphemous sinner who was going to hell.

So I left the church, not knowing if I were a Christian, atheist, agnostic, what. I just sort of let it go for many years. Eventually I came to be an uncertain agnostic atheist. A few weeks ago a conversation with a fundie friend re ignited the old questions, that had never been answered, leading me to post on the other forum. It is so funny, b/c if I were a believer, I could say it was meant to be, or god led me here. Probably not funny to anyone but me I guess, but you get where I am coming from.

Ok, I'll nip it there. I could easily go on for pages. I do have a lot of questions to ask those of you who have been accepting of your atheism longer than I have, especially if you are rasing kids. Once I get used to this forum and the appropriate places to ask such questions, I'll look forward to your reply.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome!

I'm just curious.... what were you saying that made the cf people direct you here?

Welcome!

I'm just curious.... what were you saying that made the cf people direct you here?

Hi Pandora, it was one poster over there. Rather than try to explain my post, I'll just post a link to it, if you don't mind. It will be easier to understand that way, I think.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=22538

Well, praze the Magic Sky Man! Welcome to the forums! Glory! :)

Hello and welcome.

First, I want to say we are not all atheists here as CF said. We are not Christians anymore, which isn't the same thing, although Christians have a hard time understanding this.

However, there are many athiests and agnostics here who can answer your questions. Many of us have children.

Taph

Strawberrysunday,

Welcome here. Your screen name makes me hungry!

It is so funny, b/c if I were a believer, I could say it was meant to be, or god led me here. Probably not funny to anyone but me I guess, but you get where I am coming from.

You know, I think that what people call god is either our brain or something out there that uses our brains as anthenas. From that point of view, god did lead you here.

BTW, I read the questions you asked on the christianforums. Great Questions!

Any god that leads you to this board has got the right idea ;)

Welcome to the forum, StrawberrySundae! Always nice to have a newbie on board. Enjoy your stay :)

Taph- I totally get what you are saying. You know, sometimes I wonder if I really am an atheist, or if I just like saying that b/c it is so offensive to xians, and I still have a lot of issues in that area, if that makes sense. Some type of higher power does make sense to me, although an advanced civilization of aliens makes more sense to me than a god, let alone the xian god. I don't know, I am still pretty confused, but I feel more at home here than any other place!

Jeff, Lorena, Varokhar- nice to meet you! :)

Taph- I totally get what you are saying. You know, sometimes I wonder if I really am an atheist, or if I just like saying that b/c it is so offensive to xians, and I still have a lot of issues in that area, if that makes sense. Some type of higher power does make sense to me, although an advanced civilization of aliens makes more sense to me than a god, let alone the xian god. I don't know, I am still pretty confused, but I feel more at home here than any other place!

Jeff, Lorena, Varokhar- nice to meet you! :)

It makes total sense. Lots of us here have those same issues, so you are not alone. Lots of us have also been hurt by the church and/or Christians, but that's not why we left the faith behind. So, we can relate to everything you are saying.

Lately, we have had a dry spell of fundies, but when they come on they accuse us of having been hurt by other Christians and are bitter or that we were never really Christians or we would not have left the faith.

You seem like you are going to fit in here very well, and Ex-C can be quite addictive.

Taph

Welcome!

Hi Pandora, it was one poster over there. Rather than try to explain my post, I'll just post a link to it, if you don't mind. It will be easier to understand that way, I think.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=22538

Lol, I've been banned from christianforums.net....funny things is I don't ever remeber posting there, or being banned, wierd.

Anyway, welcome to the forums :grin:

I do have a lot of questions to ask those of you who have been accepting of your atheism longer than I have, especially if you are rasing kids. Once I get used to this forum and the appropriate places to ask such questions, I'll look forward to your reply.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome.

Quite a number of us here understand what you are going through. It is disconcerting at first, but once you accept your own atheism, you realize you are just one of the crowd, not better or worse off than before. It is just the transition that's troublesome.

(JH)