Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Is A Jerk

Fishapod

How would a Xian respond to this?

Jesus is a Jerk

What are the holes in the argument?

I don't know that I've tried the argument, but I can tell you this. Jesus has a certain reputation, as you may well be aware. When I first read the Gospels at age 33, I was somewhat surprised. To me, in the Gospels, Jesus came off mostly as an arrogant, deluded prick. The stories didn't match his reputation at all. (In case it's not obvious, I have never been a Christian.)

I don't know that I've tried the argument, but I can tell you this. Jesus has a certain reputation, as you may well be aware. When I first read the Gospels at age 33, I was somewhat surprised. To me, in the Gospels, Jesus came off mostly as an arrogant, deluded prick. The stories didn't match his reputation at all. (In case it's not obvious, I have never been a Christian.)

Where does that "reputation" come from? What is driving it?

Are you aslking "how does religion work?"

Are you aslking "how does religion work?"

Probably. Even taking religion into account though, everyone can still read Matt, Mark, Luke and John. Your reaction was probably normal - "Jesus as an arrogant, deluded prick." It is hard to miss that. What gets lost, or what changes, when Christians read it?

The "reputation" comes from a cute little combo......one is children's bible stories.....where the tales of the bible are effectively re-written to make God's actions totally justified, using details that don't even appear in the bible in the first place....such as the Egyptians being totally evil and cruel virtually from birth, so god is justified in punishing the jebeeezus out of them.

And if "someone" never bothers to pick up a REAL history book about ancient Egypt.....what is there to change their original viewpoint?

Because after children's bible stories come the blabbity blab of Sunday school teachers.....who reinforce the idea of warm, loving, cuddly prophets; and of course the ultimate snugglepoo Jebuz.

Then the ministers on Sunday......they tone down the warm fuzzies just a little.....which means of course they are speaking to adults.

Basically the christians get by on hearsey, and a collection of "one-liner" verses from the bible, and they come across as "true christians" and "really knowledgable about the goodbook". And they get positive reinforcement from others for such behavior. They get credit for "knowing" their bible.....so why would they ever bother reading abook they believe they "know"?

It's really not that surprising really.

The "reputation" comes from a cute little combo......one is children's bible stories.....where the tales of the bible are effectively re-written to make God's actions totally justified, using details that don't even appear in the bible in the first place....such as the Egyptians being totally evil and cruel virtually from birth, so god is justified in punishing the jebeeezus out of them.

And if "someone" never bothers to pick up a REAL history book about ancient Egypt.....what is there to change their original viewpoint?

Because after children's bible stories come the blabbity blab of Sunday school teachers.....who reinforce the idea of warm, loving, cuddly prophets; and of course the ultimate snugglepoo Jebuz.

Then the ministers on Sunday......they tone down the warm fuzzies just a little.....which means of course they are speaking to adults.

Basically the christians get by on hearsey, and a collection of "one-liner" verses from the bible, and they come across as "true christians" and "really knowledgable about the goodbook". And they get positive reinforcement from others for such behavior. They get credit for "knowing" their bible.....so why would they ever bother reading abook they believe they "know"?

It's really not that surprising really.

True, it is like the kind of hold the Catholic church had with the bible being read only by some. I seem to recall the Catholic church has a law about the bible is only interpreted as decided upon by the church itself so they get by with praying to statues even though the bible forbids it.

My favorite is the Christian cheerleader association. http://www.cheercca.com/

Anybody familer with the NT knows that women are to be kept covered and have other restrictions so some poor male does not commit sin in his mind. But someone creates a cheerleader group that promises to promose christianity and the woman running around in a T&A show is just fine and makes Jeebus smile.

Well in services at most churches I've been too you never read a whole book in the bible. Just a few scriptures and based the message off of it. This way you never get a full impression of Jesus.

Also the strongest reason you never get an impression that Jesus is a jerk is the "SONGS". Songs are the fastest way to get positive ideas in someones head since it easily envokes feelings and is easy too remember

Well in services at most churches I've been too you never read a whole book in the bible. Just a few scriptures and based the message off of it. This way you never get a full impression of Jesus.

Also the strongest reason you never get an impression that Jesus is a jerk is the "SONGS". Songs are the fastest way to get positive ideas in someones head since it easily envokes feelings and is easy too remember

that is so true. they never read whole books in the bible. growing up catholic, i was accustomed to hearing a whole chapter being read. at least that's a little bit better than most christian churches. ive been into a couple of christian churches and they read 1-2 lines!!! theyll read something like "jesus loves you," or "jesus died for you," and that was that. they'd go on for 45 minutes saying how jesus died for us cause he loves us and then start singing how jesus died cause he loved us. i think that's how they brainwash em.