Goodbye Jesus

Christian Forums

HoustonHorn

Glad there's a rant section here, because I feel a rant brewing :twitch:

I'm still on the fence as to my religious beliefs, and while I still don't know that I can totally discount God I'm doubting that I'll go back to the Christian version. But since that's where I started, I figured I owed it to myself to get a Christian opinion on some of the questions I have.

So I found this forum that has a struggles by non-Christians section - most of y'all probably know which one I'm talking about because it's huge. My thought was that since the great comission tells Christians to go out and try to convert people, the "Outreach" section of this forum would be a good place to ask questions. Nope. I did receive answers, but they were fairly typical Christian responses that I've heard before. I'll ask a question or two back and usually not get a response, although there were a couple of people that seemed willing to help for a while. It seems most of the traffic on the board is debating the finer points of Christianity and not debating Christianity itself which is what I need.

But here's the real rant. It seems like many of the postings are just plants. There are several long postings of people doubting God, which of course gets the 'just pray about it' response. Then a few postings later 'I prayed, and I know God again!' Three options. Either they weren't really doubting that much, they're plants (Christians posting as doubters), or God likes them better than He likes me.

Pretty standard. The really tough questions cannot be answered logically. Inevitably a christian (assuming that she's aware of the problems - many aren't) has to either take the basic claims for granted, like the trinutty trinity, or the omni-blahyadda of jehoover (omnipotent, but can't defeat some shitty iron chariots? See book of judges...), or the inerrancy of a book full of nonsense... or, well, leave.

Sorry to hear that you're going through such a tough time... but unfortunately, this is the truth for all I know.

Heck, I think it actually makes it easier when I can almost predict what answers I'm going to get. Now if I can just convince the wife - she's been a Christian much longer than me.

Heck, I think it actually makes it easier when I can almost predict what answers I'm going to get. Now if I can just convince the wife - she's been a Christian much longer than me.

You know that brings up an interesting point. I never liked the idea of having to convert one's beliefs because you're marrying someone. But what about during the course of a marriage? Though, for your sake I hope she's openminded...

Guest Emerson

I loathe xtian forums. The people are so rude, they act in the worst ways, even the mods are rude and I'm not talking about christianforums.com. I have had an unfortunate experience at the cmcentral.com forums. Horrible, the people are so judgmental and utterly rude.

HH,

Visiting religious forums after beeing exposed to Freethought is like taking my 100 Pound Hammer, applying it to your toes repeatedly because you like things when the pain quits.

After the pain subsides, you start again..

Sooner or later yer gonna run outa toes and patience to beat upon..

I am last guy who will tell you to quit religiously causing yerself pain in the brainpan. However once you quit speechin' the xtianease and stop playing the mental mindfucks it takes to be an e.christian, your thought process clears up.

My opinion of the forums inhabited by most of the religious is akin to watching the monkees behind the glass at the Zoo. Same feces, same flinging, same 'nanners, different day.

When yer toes are tired and you don't want to get covered in shit, quit going to places that cause you to do so.

kL

Guest Emerson

I know what you mean by Christian forums being rude. Check this one out http://www.themarriagebed.com/boards/

If you do not agree 100% or post something that they think is slightly off, they will remove your post and if you ask a question why, you get the 3rd degree.....

There is no tolerance at all...

I agree. I once posted that I was pro-choice. Bad idea! I got this heated response as if I was some killer. People told me that I was evil, and I once got banned for another post for something stupid and frankly it just wasn't worth it staying there. I feel more accepted here than I ever did at any christian forum. People here don't freak out if I express certain opinions and I don't have to be a cookie-cutter person here. :woohoo:

I also noticed that in Christian Forums you have to trawl through the site for ages before finding anything interesting. Have they not ever heard of having a site search engine?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I suppose there's a lesson in here somewhere!

I replied to a posting where I thought I actually could get something of value across. But first I had to reply to one of the comments that said there's no such thing as an atheist. Apparently my comment of atheists belief of no God is as strong as a Christian's belief that there is didn't go over so well.

But the original topic was a guy asking how to witness to an agnostic friend. The typical responses of quoting verses and that type of stuff were given. My main point was that this wouldn't work for most agnostics because many wouldn't see the Bible as an authority. I (wrongly) assumed that since I'm an agnostic my views might be useful to the discussion.

Well, the next posting quoted my part about atheism and was told "it's not that you don't believe in God, you just choose to reject him." And then, the best part, I was told that as an agnostic I was not allowed to answer questions in this section. Excuse me? An agnostic cannot answer a question about agnosticism. I had to really bite my tongue to not say something stupid.

And I'll just quote him insulting me - note the misspelling, wonder if it was intentional.

agnositics or whatever you call yourself

The stronger the belief in the bullshit, the worse the spelling abilities... :vent:

Guest Emerson

Just avoid them Houston if you're going to be upset by them. That's what I do. I was miserable until I left.

I'm writing on Bibleforums at the moment. They seem to be ok - although pretty much on the conservative side. I think maybe Christians become more Christian when arguing with atheists - more defensive.

Most of the time people are very friendly. I don't take offence at the way people speak to me on there, most of the time - but their message (you're going to hell unless you believe what I believe) I find to be poisonous - and they don't even know it.

Also, I've just been put in the cooler there because I did a poll, which was outside the small Christian Answers section set aside for non-Christians.

Upset isn't really the word; frustrated is probably more accurate. And really it's only one or two people, so I shouldn't let that mess with my opinion of the place. There is an education section that has a few good discussions. Plus as long as I start a thread it's ok for me to post in the "Questions" section and I"ll usually get a somewhat decent answer (surrounded by normal Christian rhetoric).

And it got better. One called me "less than an ignorable troll". The funny thing is that an atheist had posted above me with a pretty long message about why he's an atheist. But his little "faith icon" was that of a Christian so nothing was said about him until they started attacking me.

Besides that, I think it helps to see the absurdities that are required belief for Christianity.

Guest HansJansen

Hi there.

Glad you are ranting, here is my reply.

I have more respect for someone who is looking critically into christianity, not believing it because of it not making sense than a person who simply sort of think he is in the right place because he/she fears of going to hell. Even within christianity god likes atheists more than he likes lukewarm christians.

Jesus’ words not mine!

Rev 3:15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I would that you were cold or hot.

Rev 3:16 So because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

Anyway, if there are any questions you have about christianity (from a christian perspective) to make an informed decision, and convince your wife either way give me a shout.

I understand your frustration as I am also frustrated with christian leaders who do not have an adequate understanding of christianity.

Hope you feel better soon. And whatever you do, be hot or cold!

Hans Jansen.

I was thinking it might be interesting to take a peek at some christian forums now that I'm an atheist. However, me being such a new atheist and my tendency to get very frustrated with christians, it's probably not the best of ideas.

Sorry to be beating an old thread...

I'm actually in the middle of a pretty good discussion over there. Under the assumption of Christianity the answers all make sense. Of course, out from under that assumption they tend to fall apart.

And as much as I appreciate all these people taking the time to try and help me through this, with my understanding that they're trying to help me back to Christianity; I think it's having the opposite effect. Being able to write out my beliefs is really helping.

And I just skip over the "God said it, I believe it" type answers. :HaHa:

I know what you mean. I recently posted a question in that same section of that forum and got the typical responses. Made me realize I'll never get a satisfying answer from a Christian. I wonder if they will ever realize how stereotypical and ineffective their responses are. :Hmm: