Goodbye Jesus

Oldest Denominations

HoustonHorn

In one of the churches I used to go to we read the book Trail of Blood. In it the author traces Baptists back to the original church created by Christ. Catholics make the same claim - that their church is the one Christ created. Aside from arguments from both sides, does anyone know of any sites or books that show research on this?

The problem with all of them is that they will be influenced by the authors own opinion. History of Christianity, by Paul Johnson is a good start though.

The only churches that have the oldest roots are the orthodox ones. Baptists thinks it's the original church because it makes a different interpretation of the Bible and claim this to be the original interpretation, and hence being rooted in the original church. Pentecostal, Word of Faith, ... all claim the same thing.

After thinking about this from outside looking in (which I'm still struggling with a little) I suppose it benefits the denomination to be seen as the "first church". Being the one that Jesus formed (?) gives it some validity. Of course more than one denomination will try and make this claim.

Eastern Orthodox is the oldest, technically/historically... they have kept the same traditions for hundreds of years, and they have their doctrinal base in the earliest councils of the Church. The Coptic churches are old, too but no one knows how close to original early coptic churches they are still today. Catholics and Orthodox broke apart in the Great Schism of 1054, so the Orthodox church is not really that old, considering.

I don't even understand how churches can claim to be the same church and style and doctrine and everyone as the ealy church. Which early church? And how do you know what the early churches were like? There's too much room for interpretation and time to change the church culture.

Stupid point to argue, IMO,... from a Christian's point of view.

Technically no church can claim to be started by Jesus, since the Bible doesn't say Jesus started any Church.