Goodbye Jesus

Help I Am Writing A Paper On Thomas Paine

Bael

I am looking for info on Thomas Paine. I need to support my thesis that he was unfairly persecuted for holding anti-church/religious views. Does anyone have any specific information? Please don't ask me why I chose a thesis I can't support. It is just a direction I have to go.

"Last years

Derided by the public and abandoned by his friends on account of his religious views, Paine died at 72 Grove Street in Greenwich Village, New York City, on June 8, 1809. Although the original building is no longer there, the present building has a plaque noting that Paine died at this location. At the time of his death, most US newspapers reprinted the obituary notice from the New York Citizen, which read in part: "He had lived long, did some good and much harm." Only six mourners came to his funeral, two of whom were black, most likely freedmen. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_paine

You might want to start from there and work your way through.

Asimov beat me to it - good place to start, though :)

Let us know how the paper turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the Thomas Paine paper. After reading, "The Age of Reason" I am amazed how liberally advanced the Founding Fathers were in their thinking. These guys saw religion as just an extension of the monarchy. (I wonder how the rich in todays world still use religion to manipulate and control as they-the monarchy did?) They, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, James madison, John Adams, believed that religion would become obsolete in just a few years. Imagine if they could see us today? They would have to conclude that we are stuck in some sort of science fiction religious brainwashed time warp. Why? Why can't we get beyond religion? Is it just a universal psychological emotional weakness? What???

Why? Why can't we get beyond religion? Is it just a universal psychological emotional weakness? What???
That's part of it. The other part is the fact that people keep teaching the shit to their kids.

I just finished the Thomas Paine paper. After reading, "The Age of Reason" I am amazed how liberally advanced the Founding Fathers were in their thinking. These guys saw religion as just an extension of the monarchy. (I wonder how the rich in todays world still use religion to manipulate and control as they-the monarchy did?) They, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, James madison, John Adams, believed that religion would become obsolete in just a few years. Imagine if they could see us today? They would have to conclude that we are stuck in some sort of science fiction religious brainwashed time warp. Why? Why can't we get beyond religion? Is it just a universal psychological emotional weakness? What???

I find it regrettable that we entered into the age of enlightenment and just as abruptly left it behind. I have devoured their texts, and the writings of Bacon and likewise, who were also revolutionary thinkers.

Unfortunately the "great ones" have left me feeling dwarfed. Fucking magnificent! Maybe after I invent my time machine I'll go speak to them. :scratch: