Goodbye Jesus

Friendships

Guest Emerson

Guest Emerson

Hi! Most of my friends were xtians, so when I deconverted it was kind of strange because I was pretty much friendless. I really kind of had to start from zero. Even now I'm finding it tough to have good friendships. I find that I usually am pursuing the friendships and walk up to people first, since most people are usually too shy to do that, and sometimes I sort of miss my xian friends because the girls that I was friends with would take friendships seriously. I'll admit those girls and I had some great times. I miss that. I was talking to pandora about some of this stuff.

Sometimes I get really lazy when it comes to friendships, and a lot of my friendships have come and gone as a result of my laziness. You don't return one phone call and they give up on you. Sometimes I'll watch Sex and the City, Friends, and movies like Fried Green Tomatoes and wish, "damn, I wish I had those type of friendships." Sometimes friendships have been disappointing and then I started seeing friends as people who I socialize with.

I've become closer to my mother and am more on friendship terms with her as a result of disappointing friendships with other women. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, I like that we're working on our relationship and that we can talk and be friends when we're not on mother/daughter mode, but I would really like to have other girlfriends besides her. Anyway, I don't want this thread to be about me.

I want to hear your experiences with friends and friendships now that you've deconverted, do your friends know you're "out"? How're you handling friendships and making new friends?

Since I fucking curbstomp every single Christian I meet, I don't have many religious friends.

I'm so hardcore.

What is a "friend"?

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

When I deconverted I had several preconversion friends waiting in the wings for me to regain my sanity. It wasn't as hard as it could have been.

If your Xian friends gave you the shaft, Emerson, doesn't sound like they really understood nor took the concept of "friendship" seriously :loser:

Myself, I still have more fallout waiting to happen. My life is too busy to worry about talking about my deconversion right now to my friends. One friend was freaked out but is still warm towards me - though I get the feeling that she was warmer during my Xian days. Oh well :shrug: