Goodbye Jesus

Annoying Family

Amethyst

Spent Mother's Day with my family. While I love them dearly, they can be extremely annoying, especially when it comes to their superstition.

For one thing, every time someone sneezed, my step mother had to say "bless you." Even though I said "Gesundheit." It's like, my god...it's just a f***ing sneeze!

And then the whole time she's like, "think positively" and "God has a plan for you"...we were talking about me finding a husband!

Sure, I wanted to say, God has a plan...he'll find me a husband, but he'll let millions of people die all around the world from completely preventable things. Yeah. How selfish is that? And why would anyone want to worship such a sadistic, cruel being? I can't understand why the hell people just cannot see how cruel that would be, and just how selfish it really is to think that "god has a plan" for them on one hand, and kill everyone off and torture people in hell for all of eternity on the other hand. How can people worship something like that??? :ugh:

Of course, I didn't say it. But it's extremely frustrating to be around people like that. Yeah, I care about them. But why, oh why, can't they use their fricking brains for once? Why do people have to believe in all that superstitious crap?

Spent Mother's Day with my family. While I love them dearly, they can be extremely annoying, especially when it comes to their superstition.

For one thing, every time someone sneezed, my step mother had to say "bless you." Even though I said "Gesundheit." It's like, my god...it's just a f***ing sneeze!

And then the whole time she's like, "think positively" and "God has a plan for you"...we were talking about me finding a husband!

Sure, I wanted to say, God has a plan...he'll find me a husband, but he'll let millions of people die all around the world from completely preventable things. Yeah. How selfish is that? And why would anyone want to worship such a sadistic, cruel being? I can't understand why the hell people just cannot see how cruel that would be, and just how selfish it really is to think that "god has a plan" for them on one hand, and kill everyone off and torture people in hell for all of eternity on the other hand. How can people worship something like that??? :ugh:

Of course, I didn't say it. But it's extremely frustrating to be around people like that. Yeah, I care about them. But why, oh why, can't they use their fricking brains for once? Why do people have to believe in all that superstitious crap?

My father-in-law does something like that. He created a rule "no Atheist talk/religious bashing" in his house. We are also not allowed to go to Atheist sites on his computer. He makes it a point to say "GOD BLESS YOU!" when any of us (including the children) sneeze. It's quite annoying.

We had a fight over sitting out prayer during Thanks Giving a few years ago. Since then holidays have been down-graded. I did my best to create a new Thanks Giving godless tradition but my father-in-law took it upon himself to bash it by making fun of what I was doing. Then he created a little debate about the bible during dinner. It was very rude.

He's a great guy, really, he's helped us out so much. But he's got a chip on his shoulder the size of America. He has no respect for us and shows us this just about every chance he gets. He has yet to say he's sorry for insulting me the first time he met me. He actually told my husband I was only there to steal his sperm.

My mother-in-law has tried to give our kids religious books. She's talked about angels and god before to our children.

It's an ongoing battle. They've learn to accept us a little more but the dislike is still there. No only do they show dislike but also distrust. My father-in-law called us two teenagers. He thinks we are childish and shouldn't have had children so early in our relationship (without being married and having a "good" job).

Life goes on, I guess. We try our best to respect them no matter what they believe; I wish they could do the same.

My father-in-law does something like that. He created a rule "no Atheist talk/religious bashing" in his house. We are also not allowed to go to Atheist sites on his computer. He makes it a point to say "GOD BLESS YOU!" when any of us (including the children) sneeze. It's quite annoying.

The funny thing is, I'm not atheist. I'm agnostic. Yet it seems like she just has to do that. I suppose she finds "gesundheit" threatening, even though I've always said it out of habit, and she had no problem with it before. She even knows what it means, or should, because I've told her. It's a wish for good health.

She's not a fundy, but she drives me nuts sometimes.

I know how you feel!

My ex-parents-in-law are Rush Limbaugh CoC'ers! They hated me for leaving the ministry! We've had our fights at the dinner table for sure, so much so that he kept getting red-faced and had to leave in anger (Hah!)

When the "God bless you" thing got started, I played it right back, not in the form of atheism, but even better - in the form of mockery, "The power of almighty Zeus bless bless this house."

(JH)

The funny thing is, I'm not atheist. I'm agnostic. Yet it seems like she just has to do that. I suppose she finds "gesundheit" threatening, even though I've always said it out of habit, and she had no problem with it before. She even knows what it means, or should, because I've told her. It's a wish for good health.

She's not a fundy, but she drives me nuts sometimes.

My in-laws aren't fundies either. It's just very childish to act this way. I know the bible says god comes before family and friends but please! Yeah, I've been trying for 4 years to get along with them. But they make it hard sometimes.

Count your blessings. Of all the problems people have with their family, yours isn't too far up the list. Hell, I doubt there are too many people whose family doesn't annoy them in one way or another.

There are plenty of people who no longer have a family due to death, or even worse faced an abusive family. Heck there are even plenty of people who aren't on speaking terms with their family due to religion- you at least get along with yours.

Count your blessings. Of all the problems people have with their family, yours isn't too far up the list. Hell, I doubt there are too many people whose family doesn't annoy them in one way or another.

There are plenty of people who no longer have a family due to death, or even worse faced an abusive family. Heck there are even plenty of people who aren't on speaking terms with their family due to religion- you at least get along with yours.

All of the above Alexandria. In the past five years I've had 4 close family members die, very hard to cope with. I grew up in an abusive very religious family. I've been disowned by two family members I grew up with.

Right now, my father is finding Jesus in jail. The only family I really have is my husband's family. I am doing my best to make it work.

Amethyst,

Please don't take my statements as being paternalistic. I got news for you and anyone struggling with family as you are. EVERYONE finds their family annoying. It is the ability to look beyond the annoyances and learn to love them. I have a mother who likes to treat me as if I am 10 years old and she hates my wife. Make no mistake, I will not let my mother be mean or snide to my wife but there is a level of decorum everyone can have but there are also boundries you can set too. People in general will only push you as far as you let them. After 10 years of watching my mother give my wife a hard time, I finally got in her face and yelled at her until she was shaking. I do not suggest that unless the situation is bad, and for me and my wife it was. Since then, she has at least been civil if not loving. You will have to decide what is minor enough to ignore and what is deemed important enough to go to war and die for. Remember, they are your family and they are the only family you have. You can learn diplomacy and boundries or you can be walked on then finally end up being alienated in blow up everyone will regret. Again, I do not mean to offend, just offer some insight I have learned in my 40 years of existence.

That is very good advice Burndout. That is exactly where we are right now. My husband did his share of defending me. It took him a while to work up the nerve (believe it or not) and it was emotionally painful for all involved. Being that I've lost a lot the value I have for family is bigger than life itself. We really are trying to get a long. I espcially want this for the kids. Growing up my grandparents were the only people I could count on and I adore them. I want my kids to have what I had and more.

Thank you for your insight. :thanks:

Amethyst,

Please don't take my statements as being paternalistic. I got news for you and anyone struggling with family as you are. EVERYONE finds their family annoying. It is the ability to look beyond the annoyances and learn to love them. I have a mother who likes to treat me as if I am 10 years old and she hates my wife. Make no mistake, I will not let my mother be mean or snide to my wife but there is a level of decorum everyone can have but there are also boundries you can set too. People in general will only push you as far as you let them. After 10 years of watching my mother give my wife a hard time, I finally got in her face and yelled at her until she was shaking. I do not suggest that unless the situation is bad, and for me and my wife it was. Since then, she has at least been civil if not loving. You will have to decide what is minor enough to ignore and what is deemed important enough to go to war and die for. Remember, they are your family and they are the only family you have. You can learn diplomacy and boundries or you can be walked on then finally end up being alienated in blow up everyone will regret. Again, I do not mean to offend, just offer some insight I have learned in my 40 years of existence.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. And please don't get me wrong, I don't hate them. I just needed a place to vent.

It really does get frustrating. ESPECIALLY when you are trying to keep up the facade that you still believe in Christianity.

My mom will say so many things that annoy the hell out of me...But to her credit she is opening her mind and realizing how Christianity enslaves people and etc...

But yeah, the obligatory catchphrases are always there...

"God has a plan for you..."

"It will all get better by and by"

"The lord won't put on you more than you can bear(a phrase that kept my mom married to a cheating alcholic for over 30 years)..."

And all the incesstant bible banging...

That is why I hate holidays now. It is like my own personal hell. I usually just eat and get in the car and drive somewhere. Of course, since I live in Texas, all the other bible bangers are out in mass...

can't win for losing.

It really does get frustrating. ESPECIALLY when you are trying to keep up the facade that you still believe in Christianity.

My mom will say so many things that annoy the hell out of me...But to her credit she is opening her mind and realizing how Christianity enslaves people and etc...

But yeah, the obligatory catchphrases are always there...

"God has a plan for you..."

"It will all get better by and by"

"The lord won't put on you more than you can bear(a phrase that kept my mom married to a cheating alcholic for over 30 years)..."

And all the incesstant bible banging...

That is why I hate holidays now. It is like my own personal hell. I usually just eat and get in the car and drive somewhere. Of course, since I live in Texas, all the other bible bangers are out in mass...

can't win for losing.

My parents know I'm agnostic, but I haven't exactly told the other members of my family. They think I'm just an extremely liberal Christian.

The stupid cliche's drive me up the wall. I know they were probably designed to keep people in the trap and from thinking on their own. At least most of my relatives aren't fundies, but still. I just wish they would use their heads once in a while and question superstitions rather than blindly believing in them.

I see holidays as an excuse to visit family members that I wouldn't see otherwise, mostly because I know I won't always be able to. If my grandma on my dad's side goes to a retirement home or passes away, we probably won't even all see each other more than once a year, if that. We all go to her house for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

There is something to be said about nonthinking people...."Ignorance is Bliss." :woohoo:

True.....but if that is the case, why are most fundies so damn pissed all the time? The bliss factor doesn't seem to balance with the ignorance factor. A lot more people should be going through their day just pleased as punch and happy as clams.

Spent Mother's Day with my family....

I'm so with you on this. I had lunch with my parents, (like most Sundays) and it was especially rough because:

A: They don't know I've lost the faith.

B: The conversation was mostly about what god's doing in my life. (massive silence/ vague statements from my side of the table)

C: A couple weeks ago, my mom said something about how she'd feel like a failure if any of her kid's didn't get to heaven.

So mother's day didn't seem like the best time to break the news. If it ever will be. Because they will never let it go. If my mother's still telling me I need a haircut after thirty years of me ignoring that, what's the chances I'm going to get any peace about this? So I'm not sure if I'll ever tell them. Which I hate. I'd like to be able to be honest.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just to let you know I can sympathize.