Goodbye Jesus

Going Back To Christianity?

theunraveler

As the topic suggest, how many of you have harbored thoughts of going back and what prevents you from "it"

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Have not considered it since I left 6 years ago.

I need evidence...proof, something tangible.

I will not rely on my emotions when it comes to an invisible deity.

I have often said that the main reason why I could never return to a belief in the God of the bible is because of the attitudes and actions of his followers.

Never. Now that I've shucked off my delusions, I don't believe in the teachings of Christianity.

I haven’t yet harbored those thoughts or desires. I’m still learning and searching about other beliefs, philosophies and religions. Maybe when I’m older. A lot older. Or maybe I’ll never go back. I guess only time will tell.

I guess my desire to understand and experience the rest of the world prevents me from actually wanting to go back to “it”. Christianity puts too many restraints in life. It puts life in a tiny cage. I hate being locked down. I hate being told what to do and what not to do without a question.

As the topic suggest, how many of you have harbored thoughts of going back and what prevents you from "it"

Every now and then I get into a feeling of "how wonderful it'd be if that 'love of jebus' stuff was true, and none of the sick shit in the same wholly babble". But then, I know that the shit is there, so it's basically just a bit of musing :shrug:

No - when I left, I left for good. I don't chase - I replace :)

I could never go back to it, anyway. I've learned way too much since I left Xianity to suspend it and go back to that. There are problems with Xianity that cannot be answered. It's god is illogical and cruel and cannot possibly exist by any intellectual or moral standard. Its rules are as cruel and absurd as the god the religion posits.

There's no way I could ever go back to that, nor would I ever want to. Ragnarok is better than a "numbing eternity in the 'blessed' bosom of Christ™." :)

I've considered cultivating some sort of organized spirituality (with or without a god or the supernatural, or reincarnation, or whatever) for myself, but never would I go back to Christianity.

It's like being unplugged from the Matrix for me. Now that I'm out and I've seen the truth I can't go back.

Christianity makes no sense, and more importantly its followers rarely follow his(christ's) example. The most hypocritical, bigoted, and self righteous people goto church on Sunday.

Lastly, through studying and using common sense I realize that the bible is a fallacy. And to base an entire "inerrant" belief system upon it(when it is so flawed and contradictory)is insane to me now.

I can honestly say that I will probably never return to the faith. However, I have my own faith. I still believe in a higher power. But the God I choose to believe in is one of wisdom and love, not that tyrant in the bible.

I dont think that I could go back. It would be like telling myself that Santa Clause is real again. I could pretend to believe it...but deep down I would know that it is total BS. I think going to a church would just really upset me because I would feel so bad for everybody there...just sitting there with their glazed-over eyes and fake smiles, not even imagining life being any different or questioning the foundations of their faith.

:ugh: those poor people...

I've considered cultivating some sort of organized spirituality (with or without a god or the supernatural, or reincarnation, or whatever) for myself, but never would I go back to Christianity.

I can honestly say that I will probably never return to the faith. However, I have my own faith. I still believe in a higher power. But the God I choose to believe in is one of wisdom and love, not that tyrant in the bible.

Yeah, that's what I do. There's plenty of religion and spirituality out there, and it's really up to us to decide what we want. It's not Xianity or bust. And no one can possibly go back to Xianity after they've defined their own path - I know I could never go back to having my road laid out for me. Going back to Xianity would be sacrificing my independence - giving up part of my humanity.

I did go back once, but that was ages ago.

I don't think I'd fall for it again. I'm stupid but not that stupid. Maybe mental deterioration, brain trauma or something.

I do have dreams where I'm in the pulpit preaching again wondering why these people want to hear an atheist preaching the gospel.

A love of the truth. To the best of my rational ability, I see the arguments supporting "Christianity is a False Religion" to be much stronger then "Christianity is the truth". I won't believe what is irrational.

There are so many things wrong with Christianity. There are biblical contradictions, theological contradictions, and most important a wealth of traits about the Christian God that contradict his omnibenevolence. I agree with LMR saying it is like being unplugged from the Matrix. It all seems so competely absurd now, I can't contemplate going back to any abrahamanic religion.

I guess we're all not alone in this feeling, I have harbor such thoughts too. Life as a christian was good it was like on a drug, u never need to care about moral issues or science since I have the good book and its all I ever need. Never need to consider the moral issues or how anti science it is, for any arguements comes my way I'd just say "god wills it!!" How simple life was back then. When I am unhappy I could just pray to God for divine intervention but now prayer seems like a joke. Couldnt believe how naive I was to believe that prayer makes a diff...

But still like LMR said, even though I am unplugged from the Matrix I still closely identify with Cypher, ignorance is indeed bliss!! It has nothing to do with science or morality but more to do with my own character and perharps a lack of will on my part...

Guest Emerson

I have often said that the main reason why I could never return to a belief in the God of the bible is because of the attitudes and actions of his followers.

That's one of the reasons for me, on why I can't go back. Xians are the most gossipy, backstabbers, deceivers that I've met. Honestly I feel more welcomed here than I ever did at any xian forum. People don't attack me on a regular basis for thinking and for being different. Its arrogant to think and believe that one person's way is the right way and that all the other ways are wrong, but its even more ridiculous when others claim the exact same thing that your religion claims!

Xians are so stupid too. They trash Harry Potter but embrace lord of the rings, when they both contain the same themes and ideas, except one was written by a xian author and the other by an author whose religion is unknown, and yet they embrace the xian author's books and ideas, simply because their a xian. That'd be like me trying to like every American just because I'm an American. Stupid!

Like LMR, I believe in God but I just can't believe in the man-made god, religion after all is

man-made. I think if there is a God, He/She/It has to be much wiser and accepting than anything mankind can come up with and they have to be bigger than religion itself.

I have not thought about going back because it is unappealing.

People who know me say they can' t *ever* see me being Catholic again. I'm afraid I'll go back to it at times, though. The more I critically think about my former system, the more disgusted I am by it. Everytime I think about "loving" a deity who created eternal hell, I feel almost physically sick. No joke. One of the reasons I deconverted was b/c I was so *desperate* to find a loving god- and I didn't find one in Christianity.

In my case, I think I'd be open to being religious again. But it would have to be a non-dogmatic religion. Dogmatism does more harm than good, from what I've seen.

Guest singlecoil

I can never go back. I've learned too much and worked too hard to free myself once. I actually like myself now and I won't give that up for Xian guilt again.

I will never go back.

I probally would only go to church if a family member had a wedding or funeral that's about it.

I am like a bird that flew out of it's cage and I have no desire to fly back in it.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Haha - oh man, that's rich!

If you ever see a flying pig, it means I've gone back. And I've been lobotomized.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Haha - oh man, that's rich!

If you ever see a flying pig, it means I've gone back. And I've been lobotomized.

quick look outside ur window before it flies away!!

I've thought of joining for the social aspects (but avoiding the sermons) as three of my friends met their husbands at church or through friends they met at church and they are all decent blokes that adore their wives.