Goodbye Jesus

People's Worst Traits Come Out

The Sage Nabooru

So my dad popped in Wedding Crashers because my grandmother (his mother) is over and he wants her to see it because it's totally, like, his new favorite movie of all time. That was about five minutes ago, and here I am, already upstairs.

You see, my father believes that his mother, being a woman, is an idiot who couldn't possibly follow the complex and intricate storyline of Wedding Crashers herself, and thus dictates it to her every other scene. "Okay, now this guy, Vince Vaughn, he's friends with Owen Wilson - this chick is his secretary, now she comes in the room......" All my while my poor grandmother is nodding and saying, "I know, I know" - and my dad just talks right over her until he realizes that she's saying something to him and maybe he should listen to something other than his own voice for once. By that time, the scene is half over and we've missed a considerable amount of dialogue.

Even if I chose to simply enjoy the funny parts, it still wouldn't be any fun. My dad explains every joke as well, like my grandmother doesn't understand why a guy would have such a harrowing yet exciting time having his genitals vigorously rubbed during a dinner. I mean, literally. "See where she's touching him? That's where his privates are." Groan.......

My mother mostly does the traditional spoil-the-ending act. You know, you're sitting there, mired in suspense and steeped in curiosity about who that masked villian could be, and then she pipes up, "Oh, I know! That's the kid he insulted when he was younger." DAMMMMMITTTTT!!!! Of COURSE it is. And a whole chorus of "Jeezus Christ, keep it to your damn self" still won't replace that wonderful feeling of Not Knowing Who The Bad Guy Is.

Anyway, If anyone else has similar problems with the people they commonly view movies with, we should start an Annoyed Filmwatchers Club, which should assemble every month and watch a new movie without any commentary whatsoever.

I'm with ya, Sage. One of my best friends will start telling me about her day right in the middle of a movie. Then she has the nerve to ask what's going on (or complain that the movie makes no sense) because she missed essential pieces of it while she was talking.

Then she has the nerve to ask what's going on (or complain that the movie makes no sense) because she missed essential pieces of it while she was talking.

Does she insist you rewind so she can see what she's missed? I get that a lot, too.

I was out on my own before the advent of the VCR, but when I was a kid, my parents used to argue with the TV news.

my mom constantly tries to guess whats "really going on", even if its a straight forward plot..."oh i think hes the killer" "they're going to have an affair" etc... all the while she insists on getting up and running to other room for brief periods, or the dreaded start the vacuum while movie is on, then come back to it and start guessing some more.

and its always so far from what actually happens..it just ends up everyone yelling "just watch the damn movie to figure it out..or go away"

so when my mom visists...NO MOVIES

Does she insist you rewind so she can see what she's missed? I get that a lot, too.

I almost wish she would, because if she understood the movie she would be less likely to bitch about it when it ends.

This is why I don't like to see movies in the theater anymore, unless it is something I *really* want to see and can't wait for the DVD. The last time I was in a theater, I was sitting behind a bunch of teens and they were texting each other throughout the entire movie. Do you know how annoying it is to see flashes of light in front of you when you are watching a movie? I almost would have preferred whispering. :ugh:

I used to date a guy who refused to just watch a movie. It was always an endless stream of questions. "Who's that guy? Why is he doing that? Where are they going? Is that the guy that gets killed? Does someone get killed in this? What's that thing he's holding? Does she know that guy?" FUCKING HELL, I DON'T KNOW, I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS MOVIE BEFORE EITHER! JUST SHUT THE HELL UP AND WATCH! I KNOW EXACTLY AS MUCH AS YOU DO!

I'm usually dead quiet when I watch a movie. However, for some reason when I watched movies with the last guy I was seeing, we commented throughout the whole thing. It was actually kinda fun, but perhaps only because it was novel.

haha oh man that's terrible...

I fortunately don't get much unsolicited commentary during movies. But the one time I do remember was when I was watching a movie with a few other people including my mom's friggin' then-BF, and at some point, for some reason, he felt the need to get in a barb about Americans. Something like, 'that's Americans for you, they'll never listen to a word you say...' [major paraphrase] Fortunately, he fell asleep later.

I do get frustrated when I'm in the movie theatre and my companion whispers questions to me, since I don't like annoying everyone in our vicinity by answering beyond like one whispered word..

This is why I don't like to see movies in the theater anymore, unless it is something I *really* want to see and can't wait for the DVD. The last time I was in a theater, I was sitting behind a bunch of teens and they were texting each other throughout the entire movie. Do you know how annoying it is to see flashes of light in front of you when you are watching a movie? I almost would have preferred whispering.

Argh, I'd hate that. I remember once being in a movie theater with a bunch of hyperactive girls in their early teens who were giggling like CRAZY and throwing popcorn at the floor in front of them (they were seated behind the wheelchair row) and laughing their asses off as they watched it bounce on the floor. The usher came in and told them to stop, please, but never actually made them leave. I never went back to that theater again.

Guest Emerson

Nowadays I just Netflix it. I LOATHE going to theatres. I dunno, it used to be fun, I loved going every weekend. But yeah teens can get annoying and I hate when people talk throughout the whole movie. :( Movie tix are expensive. They upped matinee over here to $7 dollars and evening tix are $9-10 dollars. Plus the recent movies I've seen have been a disappointment, its such a waste, that I just hesitate going to the theatres nowadays.

I just download most of my movies off of bittorrent, mainly because I don't have a home entertainment system and most of my shit is still in storage. Maybe once a month I'll go out and watch a movie because the theatre is just down the street.

My mom has a serious problem sticking with movies until the end. Then she says they're not worth buying because she's already seen them :Doh:

The old man used to be pretty good about movies, until he started getting back in his fundie phase and everything he brought home was religious.

Actually what I find annoying watching movies with the family is when you say something during a non-essential part and they tell you they can't hear. My sister does that all the time. Uh, there's nothing being said in this scene, dummy. Even more irritating is how my sister will situate herself on one side of the room and my mother in another room and they'll sit there and crosstalk through the entire movie. I tell her to go in the other room, and she never does it -just tells me to go fuck myself or calls me an asshole.

Then when I was in the middle of a program I was waiting a long time to see she'd grab a video and pop it in without even asking. "Hey I was watching that. There's a TV downstairs.". "Why don't you go downstairs?". "Because that TV has a VCR and DVD player but not cable", followed by the dreaded "I was here first - you've seen that damn movie a hundred times and I've been wanting to watch this program for a long time". Then she'd start a fight. :Doh:

That's old shit, but I'm sure it would still resurface even today. I'm actually very generous about sharing, but come on - make some sense. If you can't stop arguing about Televisions, either throw the shit out or buy another one -which is what I did. She even managed to get pissed off by that "well HE gets to have a TV in his room. It's not fair", after King of the Castle turned her shit off so he could watch FAUX news. Dad: "he bought a TV. Why don't you buy one?", followed by a crying and pleading session with my mother to buy her one, even though she had a job.

:lmao: