Goodbye Jesus

Hell

mick

We are all mostly past caring about the Bible. However, I must admit that I am shocked at what I have learned about the poor translations, and the utter lack of support for "eternal torment" in the Bible itself.

English translations translate four Hebrew and Greek words into simply "Hell". The words are Shoel, Hades, Tarturas, and Gehenna. NONE of these words mean what we think of when we think of Hell. None of them mean the same thing as each other either. (odd since they are all simply "hell" in our Bibles) It is also clear that in the OT the idea of Hell is utterly unsupported. Amazingly there actually was a word that meant Hell in Greek availble to NT writers (the Hell we think of, was a Greek concept, and there was a word available to NT authors) but it does not appear in the NT anywhere whatsoever. Even though I don't believe the Bible anymore, I can see how it has been misrepresented to us. New literal translations of the NT do not have the word "Hell" even once.

www.tentmaker.org goes into this in detail under it's Hell section. (or lack thereof, they don't belive in Hell but do believe in the Bible and Christ)

Anyway, it is just more that makes me furious about the whole thing.

It is also clear that in the OT the idea of Hell is utterly unsupported.

So is the concept of the immortality of the soul.