Goodbye Jesus

Proportion Of Christians Who Leave

dibby

Hi people. Just wondering what the general feeling is among you about how much doubt there is about the christian faith there is among believers?

A good proportion who go up during emotionally charged rallies, quickly let go of christianity when they go back to the real world. (Thank god!)

When people have learned of your struggle, did any of them tell you (maybe secretly?) that they too were doubting?

During my time as a christian, even though jesus was supposed to be the answer an awful lot were struggling with all sorts of issues. Masturbation, relationships, emotional upsets, division and infighting, criticizing other churches or fellowships, demonizing other believers.We were definately not of "one accord". My own fellowship split up when one group of people thought another lot were under the influence of satan.

All this helped me realise that we were merely human......not the righteous, blood soaked chosen of the Lamb, just people trying to make sense of the world.

What proportion of believers will eventually give it all up do you think?

I think what happens with extreme fanatics and fundies is that a lot of people will eventually wake up because their viewpoint is so skewed and narrow. But they'll probably settle on some milder, 'workable' form of xtianity, and wind up deferring to the extremists out of fear/guilt.

They might also become evangelists/ministers if they're greedy - they know it's all bullshit, but it's good income if they keep the charade going.

Or if they can't handle the truth, they'll become terribly screwed-up, like Phelps and his Westboro 'church'. Most of the lunatics going around screeching at people with bullhorns about their own personal version of Jebus fall under this category. It's like they realize the standard version of the bible is a mess, so they have to figure out their own version to make it work.

Either way, religious fanatics are mostly either hypocrites, con-men, or nutjobs.

Or all three.

I know that Mormonism's only real growth rate is among established Mormon families; the vast majority of new converts drop it after a few years or even months.

Of course, that's not going to stop the Temple from keeping their names on their rolls.....

...They might also become evangelists/ministers if they're greedy - they know it's all bullshit, but it's good income if they keep the charade going...

Ex-evangelist chef says :lmao: