Goodbye Jesus

Politix

Guest barb

Guest barb

I'm new here so I'm not sure that I'm doing this right. My apologies if my inexperience is tedious...

My question is, have you found that your politics have gone WAY LEFT since you left fundamentalism? I can't tell, in my life, if it's wisdom or knee jerk reactions to the imbecility of the Christian Right... although, it does seem that with life experience (and its ubiquitous highs and lows) comes the view that liberal politics more completely encompass the spectrum of the human experience. And, if I'm not out to protect my "wealth" (and how and why can Christians be wealthy? That is beyond me, and disturbing to boot.), why would I want money to "trickle down..." (which it does not do anyway)...

I'm new here so I'm not sure that I'm doing this right. My apologies if my inexperience is tedious...

My question is, have you found that your politics have gone WAY LEFT since you left fundamentalism? I can't tell, in my life, if it's wisdom or knee jerk reactions to the imbecility of the Christian Right... although, it does seem that with life experience (and its ubiquitous highs and lows) comes the view that liberal politics more completely encompass the spectrum of the human experience. And, if I'm not out to protect my "wealth" (and how and why can Christians be wealthy? That is beyond me, and disturbing to boot.), why would I want money to "trickle down..." (which it does not do anyway)...

Yes, my politics get lefter every year. I'm so far left democrats look like Nazis to me.

Money never trickles down; it trickles up. That is the nature of money.

Capitalism makes money pour up for those not satisfied with a trickle.

Welcome, barb :)

My politics went moderate; I consider myself a Libertarian, if I want to identify with any poltical party. I think neither right nor left has all the answers, and true progress is only found with a little of both, minus any and all political party platforms and ideologies.

After leaving Xianity, I became apathetic to politics. I do follow it more now, but still remain Libertarian... ish...

Went from politically active Republican to almost certainly voting Democratic in '06. Prior to my deconversion, I felt compelled to support Bush because of the Church's position on Abortion. I'd still probably classify myself as pro-life at this point, but I know longer think I think have to make it the only issue anymore.

Since my deconversion, most of the people who have met have come to think of me as a liberal. It could get troublesome socially if they ask me who I voted for in '04

My question is, have you found that your politics have gone WAY LEFT since you left fundamentalism?

Not exactly. German Lutheran christianity isn't (normally?) a fundie cult, but interestingly, at about the same time I deserted it toward Asatru, I indeed found that suddenly I had made "just a jump to the left" sometime recently. :)

And no, I don't plan a "step to the right" ;)

I've increasingly become less "left and right" and more Asimovian in my politics. That is, someone asks me a question about an issue and I give my opinion and let them classify me.

My question is, have you found that your politics have gone WAY LEFT since you left fundamentalism?

Hi barb,

I don't know if I'd call it "WAY LEFT", but yes my political views have certainly changed

since deconversion. I'm not sure I can credit the change completely on deconversion.

It does seem though that I can no longer justify certain attitudes anymore. I think life

changed in general for me and it changed the whole landscape. My political/religious/world

views all changed together.

I've visited virtually every paradigm at one point or another and now prefer the invisible hand of human interaction. The best way to eliminate a managed system is to allow people to transcend their inherent limitations.

One thing that I am sure of is that there is no perfect system, but the system that does not hinder the desires of an individual (necessarily decentralized) to mutual benefit is the best system.

Guest VioletV

Went from politically active Republican to almost certainly voting Democratic in '06. Prior to my deconversion, I felt compelled to support Bush because of the Church's position on Abortion. I'd still probably classify myself as pro-life at this point, but I know longer think I think have to make it the only issue anymore.

Since my deconversion, most of the people who have met have come to think of me as a liberal. It could get troublesome socially if they ask me who I voted for in '04

Same here. I voted Republican for years just because of the abortion issue. And I don't even consider myself pro-life anymore

I didn't have politics when I was a Christian. I only started learning about them and my views on them around 17. I had stopped being a Christian the year before that. As my views moved further away from Christianity, I moved further left in my political views. I still don't consider myself a Democrat though. I like riding the fence and defining my views depending ont he issue, hence I'm moderate. I have a big problem with the two party system we have.

Teh downside of being moderate is those who blindly follow one party or the other say you "can't make up your mind." I refuse to accept that something as complex as politics has A and B as answers and that's it. This came from an ex who was conservative Christian. So hypocritical since she'd move her crucifix necklace because it would get in the way when we'd fool around. Awesome. That makes sense.

I think I have become more compassionate and more respectful of people I don't agree with. Unfortunately I don't see much of that in either of the major political parties here in the US, so I don't think it's made much difference in my politics.

Hm, well, I'm Libertarian on quite a few issues, Progressive on a few issues, Paleo-conservative on perhaps one or two issues.

And I absolutely DESPISE the current American "unholy alliance" between church and state, and those who are fomenting it.

One thing I can say for sure is that I do not care for having the government OR the church intruding into my personal space. It seems so clear to me now what a tool religion is, and has been, for controlling the masses.

I think I've gone from middle-right to middle-left as I found I could no longer associate with some xenophobic christian belief, especially those surrounding sexuality and morality.

barb:

"Ballistics Party, Each Shot a Veto".

From there I get more "I don't care what you think, just leave me the fuck alone"-ish.

kL