Goodbye Jesus

Annoying Co-Worker

Amethyst

Somehow, my annoying co-worker and I got on the topic of religion again today. He mentioned that he was thinking about reading up on church history, and that he might check out a library at a Bible college for boks. (So it's maybe not an entirely lost cause if he is getting curious?) I suggested Amazon.com as a resource, since he was more likely to find other resources there than just the standard church-approved ones.

Anyway, we were talking for a while and he said that he thinks it is okay that god killed all the people the OT says he did, because he did it for a reason.

Why, oh why can these people not realize how brainwashed they are? I'm sure the suicide bombers on 9/11 thought they had a good reason for killing people, too.

:ugh:

Keep in mind,

These are the same moral geniuses that think the poor island people DESERVED to be ravaged by that tsunami in December.

Of course they are making the convienient ASSUMPTION that those people were unchristian (with the plague of missionary work spread out like gangrene on the planet, I doubt that area was uninfected).

Assholes.

Plain and simple.

Yeah, it is pretty scarey stuff.

My mother-in-law, rabid fundy, thinks that if it's the Lord's will that George Bush start a nuclear war, then she is all for it 100%.

These are scarey, scarey people.

Guest Kevin B
Somehow, my annoying co-worker and I got on the topic of religion again today.  He mentioned that he was thinking about reading up on church history, and that he might check out a library at a Bible college for boks.  (So it's maybe not an entirely lost cause if he is getting curious?)  I suggested Amazon.com as a resource, since he was more likely to find other resources there than just the standard church-approved ones.

Anyway, we were talking for a while and he said that he thinks it is okay that god killed all the people the OT says he did, because he did it for a reason. 

Why, oh why can these people not realize how brainwashed they are?  I'm sure the suicide bombers on 9/11 thought they had a good reason for killing people, too.

:ugh:

Most of these people don't really think of those people as breathing hunans. They villify them and that makes it OK that God killed them.

Guest Tzimisce

What I've learned from Christians:

1) God in eternal and unchanging

2) God loves everyone and is merciful

3) God killed the first born of EVERY LIVING THING in Eygpt when Pharoah wouldn't let the Jews go - Humans (even the people who thought the slaves should be released), cows, dogs, chickens, etc.

Don't #2 and #3 contradict? I don't get it. :(

Even they have a hard time reconciling the "angry" god of the OT and the "loving" god of the NT.

Guest Peyton

I chatted with a Christian woman in a bus stop just a few days after the Tsunami. She said it was God's will that it happened. I told her it had nothing whatsoever to do with 'God', that Tectonic plates shifted under the Earth, causing friction which in turn caused upheaval on the ocean floor which resulted in the mega-wave which then went on to cause such devastation, that there was no supernatural component to any of it, that it was an entirely natural disaster. She tutted and moved away!