Goodbye Jesus

Existance of Evil

Guest ExistanceOfEvil

Guest ExistanceOfEvil

My in-laws are deeply religious (wife is far from... :phew: ). A religious discussion started for some reason or another, and I asked about the existance of evil. My father-in-law stated that "evil is created by man." I responded by saying "created by an all good, all loving, all powerful god." He said, "no." Before I could get another word in he starts on about how wonderful Jesus is. I quickly left the room.

What is the best way to debate with a xtian? 99% of the time I do not even open my mouth. There are times where the stupidity level gets so high that I am forced to say something, usually to no avail.

In the past, I haven't cared about their religion. They haven't really forced their beliefs on us (other than the occasional comment) and didn't say anything about our 'non church' wedding. The game has changed abit however. We are expecting our first child, and have been asked multiple times from multiple people if we will have religion in our home (knowing full well we are non believers). I have made it known that my child will not be subjected to any religious BS and will be raised a 'free thinker'. I went as far as letting my in-laws know that if they try to force their BS on my child they will not have anything to do with him/her (not sure yet). I am serious about this, however I dont think they are taking me seriously. The great thing is that my wife is behind me 100000000%. Whats the best way to handle pushy family members? :Hmm:

Its really quite strange. When religion isn't an issue, we get along perfectly fine and do all of the normal happy family things. :woohoo:

Dealing with family & friends whose beliefs are vastly different from your own is often difficult. Really when it comes down to it, it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job.

All you can do with someone who isn't willing to listen is what you've been doing. Either just leave them be, or if they are trying to attack your standards, then stand up for yourself. Which it sounds like you are establishing that framework quite well.

Keep it up & don't let them phase you!

:woohoo:

:3:

The way your dealing is the best.

People like this will not appreciate any evidence you have for your points. Especially as they consider themselves your elders. They will just see you as being "smart" (as in smartass).

They don't WANT to know better. Save your debates and arguments for complete strangers. Never debate in-laws. They AREN"T going anywhere. They are family (like it or not).

And your own children can benefit from such family members. Gives them living convenient examples of the people they will have to deal with in real life.

Guest Peyton
And your own children can benefit from such family members. Gives them living convenient examples of the people they will have to deal with in real life.

So true!

whenever Im caught in a similar situation i do one of the following:

-find and head for the nearest exit by any means.

or if thats not possible,

-zone out (im rather skilled at that :grin: )