Goodbye Jesus

Is The Bible Intentionally Vague

HoustonHorn

I had a flashback to high school history today (10 or 12 years ago). We were taught that the Consitution was written to be intentionally vague so that it would remain appropriate to any time and not just the time that it was written.

Do you think the Bible was written with the same intentional vagueness? That way the moral lessons would still be appropriate no matter of the time.

The Bible isn't vague. Christians who haven't read it claim it is in order to justify their own behavior and personal beliefs.

And, I wish the Constitution was a little less vague. Specifically, since "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting free exercise thereof" isn't apparently clear enough, I suggest we cross that out and write "total seperation of church and state, now and forever, stuff it Robertson".

Part of the problem I think is the fundamentalist insistence that the bible be taken as literal, inerrant and consistent as if it's one book instead of many.

I hate it whenever I try to tell a fundie that the Holy Bible (capitalized to give it the sanctity and respect it so truly deserves :liar: ) was written by humans, and is thus subject to fallibilty, and get the response, "But it was 'inspired' by GAWD!"

Even if the bible were in fact "inspired" by god, I counter, it is not the same as written by is it?

They respond with the ol' "But I know the Bible contains the word of God!"

"Why?" I ask

"Because it says so in the Bible!" :Doh:

The Bible isn't vague. Christians who haven't read it claim it is in order to justify their own behavior and personal beliefs.

For the most part this is correct, except when it comes to the predictions/prophecies. Id say "There will be wars" and "There will be great works" is pretty vague.

For the most part this is correct, except when it comes to the predictions/prophecies. Id say "There will be wars" and "There will be great works" is pretty vague.

Gotta admit, thought, you definately can't get more specific than, "There will be great trials and tribulations." Maybe John foresaw the coming of Court TV.

Absolutely agreed. Most of the wholly babble is indeed pretty clear in its literal meaning, just contradictory. That's why walking hate crime phelps and the most saintly peaceful christian in the world can refer to the same book and say "I follow it". It's all a matter of picking the right verses. :Hmm:

I hate it whenever I try to tell a fundie that the Holy Bible (capitalized to give it the sanctity and respect it so truly deserves ) was written by humans, and is thus subject to fallibilty, and get the response, "But it was 'inspired' by GAWD!"

Even if the bible were in fact "inspired" by god, I counter, it is not the same as written by is it?

They respond with the ol' "But I know the Bible contains the word of God!"

"Why?" I ask

"Because it says so in the Bible!"

I always say, "If it were inspired by God, then why are there so many contradictions and inconsistencies in it?"

They say, "Because it was written by man, who is corrupted."

"But then how can it be God's word if it's corrupted by man?"

"Well....because it says so!"

"How do you know that where it says so isn't a part that's corrupted by man?"

"Uh....you need to get in touch with the Holy Spirit!"