Goodbye Jesus

Biblical Errors

Toxic

One argument Born Agains always like to come out with is how the bible says the world is round so that must mean it must be true, etc. Can anyone provide me with a good list of scientific errors and inccurracies in the Bible? Thanks

how the bible says the world is round so that must mean it must be true

Actually, the bible says the world is a flat surface supported by pillars, and the sky is a solid object.

how the bible says the world is round so that must mean it must be true

Actually, the bible says the world is a flat surface supported by pillars, and the sky is a solid object.

And it also says the world is round, there you have it, another contradiction!

does it say round, or a CIRCLE?

Here's an amusing article from Christian Answers where they more or less put their feet in their collective mouths.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c015.html

A literal translation of Job 26:10 is "He described a circle upon the face of the waters, until the day and night come to an end." A spherical earth is also described in Isaiah 40:21-22 - "the circle of the earth."

Proverbs 8:27 also suggests a round earth by use of the word circle (e.g., New King James Bible and New American Standard Bible). If you are overlooking the ocean, the horizon appears as a circle. This circle on the horizon is described in Job 26:10. The circle on the face of the waters is one of the proofs that the Greeks used for a spherical earth. Yet here it is recorded in Job, ages before the Greeks discovered it. Job 26:10 indicates that where light terminates, darkness begins. This suggests day and night on a spherical globe. [JSM]

This is patently absurd. Most translations of Job 26:10 translates to say that God "encompasses" the waters. To translate it to "describes a circle" is somewhat esoteric and strained. Where would they get such a wonky interpretation as that? Hmm...

Perhaps a quick jaunt over to Blue Letter Bible quickly reveals where they got that phrase. Ah! Here it is!

chuwg {khoog}

1) to encircle, encompass, describe a circle, draw round, make a circle

a) (Qal) to encircle, encompass

So the verse in question isn't suggesting at all that the Earth is spherical. It's saying that the circle of the Earth is encompassed by bounds. Furthermore, the reference to the Greek's proof of a spherical Earth, by describing a circle of the horizon (note: a completely different context for the word "describe"), is a complete non sequitur.

What's worse is that the very same book of Job also describes the Earth in a way that can only be interpreted as being FLAT. In Job 28:24, it refers to the "ends of the Earth".

Job also says that the Earth hangs on nothing. This is one of the most absurd claims in the Bible, because hanging implies that a gravitational force that continuously tugs on an object that is fixed or fastened to an object that prevents it from falling.

If anything, the Earth does the exact opposite of this, because (a) the Earth is MOVING, and (B) the Earth is actually falling (the opposite of hanging), but since the Earth is also in motion, it maintains an orbit.

If anything, Job is proof that the Bible is absolutely false.

and ( B) the Earth is actually falling (the opposite of hanging),
Would you mind explaining this, Neil? :shrug:

and ( B) the Earth is actually falling (the opposite of hanging),
Would you mind explaining this, Neil? :shrug:

That's basically what an orbit is. It's a perpetual fall caused by the pull of the sun and the inertia of the planet. It's centrifugal force.

So falling can happen in a place where up and down have no significant meaning whatsoever?

If we define falling relative to the pull of gravity, then yes.

We think of the direction of gravity as "down" because we see our world as though it's a plain, but we're actually being pulled in toward a center. On planet Earth, down is not a precise direction. It's only relative to where you happen to be. If you're a few timezones away from me, then your version "down" deviates a few degrees from mine.

Maybe it's just my mode of thinking. I've always thought of falling as being pulled into a large body's mass, rather than strictly up and down relative to plain.

Maybe it's just my mode of thinking. I've always thought of falling as being pulled into a large body's mass, rather than strictly up and down relative to plain.
Well god damn! You're right. :twitch:

I never thought of it that way, but yeah, I understand what you mean now. :Doh: