Goodbye Jesus

Not Really An Atheist, But Rather...

Guest Cactus Ed

Guest Cactus Ed

I've been thinking about these things for a LONG time, never being able to settle on calling myself any kind of Believer, and yet not being able to accept the word Atheist for myself as well. So...what the fuck am I? How about this: A-Confusionist(!) :scratch:

That's right. My hunger in all this Big Picture What-the-hell-is-going-on-here-and-Who-the-hell-is-in-charge searching finally gives way to the notion of what, exactly, is causing me all this pain, and it is Confusion. I hate being confused ALL the time. I read and listen to the learned and eloquent of many camps, and I constantly wonder which one of them is right. I definitely lean towards ( so-called ) atheists because their sincerity seems, well, more sincere than the other side. And yet: who the hell really knows whether there is such a thing as a God. Or several Gods. Or none. I don't think that's the issue, since no one really knows. But honest talk about these things is a good thing, and I find the talking here really helpful.

By the way, I am a fifty year-old married man with four children and all the terrors associated with that world. Many people like me go to church just for the social support, for the kids, etc. But I tried that already and found it PAINFULLY stupid, boring, mind-numbing, pointless. Lifeless, stifling, ridiculous!

And so I carry on, as always..........

I've been thinking about these things for a LONG time, never being able to settle on calling myself any kind of Believer, and yet not being able to accept the word Atheist for myself as well. So...what the fuck am I? How about this: A-Confusionist(!) :scratch:

That's right. My hunger in all this Big Picture

Hey, we need some more old codgers around here to keep these young'n's ducks in a row.

Welcome.

Why do you suppose a lable will make you feel better?

What-the-hell-is-going-on-here-and-Who-the-hell-is-in-charge searching finally gives way to the notion of what, exactly, is causing me all this pain, and it is Confusion. I hate being confused ALL the time. I read and listen to the learned and eloquent of many camps, and I constantly wonder which one of them is right. I definitely lean towards ( so-called ) atheists because their sincerity seems, well, more sincere than the other side. And yet: who the hell really knows whether there is such a thing as a God. Or several Gods. Or none. I don't think that's the issue, since no one really knows. But honest talk about these things is a good thing, and I find the talking here really helpful.

The problem may be not that no one is in charge, but that one thinks someone ought to be. Perhaps that notion is an artifact of your culture and not something that has to be.

By the way, I am a fifty year-old married man with four children and all the terrors associated with that world. Many people like me go to church just for the social support, for the kids, etc. But I tried that already and found it PAINFULLY stupid, boring, mind-numbing, pointless. Lifeless, stifling, ridiculous!

56 here, but only 2 kids now grown.

Cranky crone-in-training (48) reporting in here. Welcome to Ex-C, Ed!

I agree: Confusion sucks. Our brains have enough to do without worrying about invisible beings and what they want from us.

Only a junior geezer here (40). What about calling yourself Label-less or Non- Defined-ist

That's right. My hunger in all this Big Picture What-the-hell-is-going-on-here-and-Who-the-hell-is-in-charge searching finally gives way to the notion of what, exactly, is causing me all this pain, and it is Confusion. I hate being confused ALL the time. I read and listen to the learned and eloquent of many camps, and I constantly wonder which one of them is right. I definitely lean towards ( so-called ) atheists because their sincerity seems, well, more sincere than the other side. And yet: who the hell really knows whether there is such a thing as a God. Or several Gods. Or none. I don't think that's the issue, since no one really knows. But honest talk about these things is a good thing, and I find the talking here really helpful.

I actually have devised a simple test that will tell you whether or not you're an Atheist! It can be found here.

I'm 29, married for 4 years and have two kids. Here are some pics for everyone to enjoy!

Guest Cactus Ed

Yeah, the label thing is pretty silly. And yet I see them everywhere! People seem to love to label themselves by (1) What they believe, and (2) What they do for a living. And by what Yahoo groups they belong to, what websites they bookmark, what kind of computer thet have ( Apple? or PC?) And on and on. I have a friend who has no qualms about calling himself an atheist, and he says I am an atheist too but am just to noncommital to admit it. Agnostic perhaps? ( Typical Libra, some might say...) I do like that bumper sticker that says " Militant Agnostic: I don't know and you don't either ". I wouldn't even consider myself a Freethinker - hell, my crazy thoughts are all over the place, often taking me places I might get into trouble. Not a very disciplined thinker, at least!

Anyone ever see the movie ( or read the book ) The Razor's Edge? Even though I am 50 with a family to support I still identify with Bill Murray's character, who was 20-something living in Paris after WW1.

What about:

* Potential Higher Power

Gay.

* Interconnectedness

Hippy-shit

* Universal Consciousness

Hippy-shit^2

* Seeing Deities as types of Energies

Reaaaally gay.

* Seeing Deities as symbols of a greater reality?

Dumbest idea I've ever heard.

* Seeing Deities as the "higher self" or the "subconscious/unconscious self"

Pseudo-psychology weirdo shit.

* Pantheism

Gay.

* Panentheism

* Deism

*Monism

Gay, gay, aaaaand DOUBLE GAY!!!

There are so many many different ways to view the universe.

And besides...labels are for the people who choose to use them.

Well, considering I just destroyed your alternatives with my higher thinking, you need to come up with something else there, zoe.

LMAO Asimov...bite me!

:wicked:

Save that for when I dress up as Spike.