Goodbye Jesus

Why Vegetarians Should Be Force Fed With Lard.

chefranden

Indeed - it's a funny and humorous article that makes a lot of good points. Nice one, chef :goodjob:

Zealots of any kind are pretty repulsive. My ex-fiance was a vegetarian and so was his roomate. He never raised a fuss about it, but she was utterly convinced I couldn't possibly care about animals at all if I ate them, signed me up to get the PETA magazine (don't even get me started on those nutjobs), and tried to argue with me about it constantly.

I have a problem when they start telling me what to think for any reason, whether it's about my lunch or religion.

On the same side of the coin, it's not fair to lump anybody in together. One of my best friends is a vegetarian and I didn't realize that for years until I suddenly realized at a restaurant once that all he ever ordered was meatless dishes. I'm sooooo observant sometimes. *L*

also to add to what chef and dhampir said, the article is also relevant to us because of what was mentioned about self-denial.

In my opinion, Homer Simpson said it best:

"If animals weren't ment to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat?"

I won't eat any mammals because they remind me of my dog and other pets i love. I really only eat fish or seafood-the only natural meat left (i know about farm grown fish)

Some people really love animals and I'm just one of them.

I also don't like the taste of beef, pork, sheep-it tastes funky.

I know that for one to live another must die, but I don't want the ones i love the best to die.

I love animals....on my plate.

Why would anyone take this article seriously for even a second? I don't give a shit if people eat meat. No matter how deliciously pink and juicy a steak looks I can't get over the fact that it came from a cow that only has enough room to turn around and came to a horrifying death. That's me though. :close: I have no right to treat anyone else like shit for eating instinctively.

Besides, I don't think the author is dealing with pushy vegetarians or vegans. The self-righteousness he see in the veggies and vegans he's encountered is probably a symptom of being British. :shrug:

Free-range animals usually taste better than ones steroided up and confined to their little spaces. That's why I'm for free-range. It also has a less chance of disease and all that crap-hole-ah.

Actually, I haven't known that many vegetarians, and the few I did meat...er, meet (heh heh) didn't seem fanatical about it. I knew some Seventh Day Adventists at a previous job, who didn't make a big deal out of it. I guess it all depends on who you happen to come across. I still find the original article annoying though; while it may be satirical or meant in humor, there are people who write in such a style that mean every word they say. It's hard sometimes to distinguish between the two.

Speaking of Adventists, I ran across this article the other day that was about fanatical vegetarians, especially concerning the SDA church. Why I Am Not A Vegetarian

My 12 year old niece has recently told me that she's a vegetarian. I hope it's just a phase. A growing kid needs protein, and that's got to be really annoying for my brother and his wife.

There is protien in everything you eat, there is no need to eat meat in order to get protien. Meat is convient because it is concentrated protien, but it is not the only source of it. The only things that are difficult to get without meat is B6 and B12, but many products come fortified with those vitiamins. Dark greens give you iron and other micro nutrients found in meat as well. If your child wants to be a veggie, that's fine, just make sure they are eating food that will replace what is missing. Kids need different nutirents than adults, so it may be more difficult for a child, I don't know, but it is possible to be healthy without meat.

But it's a common misconception you need meat for proper protien. Actually, you don't even need to eat protien. If you consume all 20 amino acids your body will build the protiens it needs from them. All protien is is long chains of amino acids, where do cows get their protien? They build it themselves from the amino acids in their feed. When I discovered this and began making sure I was eating enough protien and a complete amino acid shake, my cravings for meat went the way of religion for me.

But it's a common misconception you need meat for proper protien. Actually, you don't even need to eat protien. If you consume all 20 amino acids your body will build the protiens it needs from them. All protien is is long chains of amino acids, where do cows get their protien? They build it themselves from the amino acids in their feed. When I discovered this and began making sure I was eating enough protien and a complete amino acid shake, my cravings for meat went the way of religion for me.

We aren't cows. Last time I checked, I had an omnivore's teeth and I lacked a rumen.

We aren't cows. Last time I checked, I had an omnivore's teeth and I lacked a rumen.

Neither of which are need to create protien from amino acids. The fact that we are humans and not cows dosen't change the fact that protien is nothing but chains of amino acids and that if you consume amino acids your body will link them together into the protien it needs. Protien is not some magical thing that can only be created in farm animals, any animal can create protien from its building blocks, including humans.

Please don't think I'm saying meat eating is bad, or being a veggie is better, because I am not. I am only saying that meat is not needed for proper protien levels. If you like meat and want to eat pounds of it every day, go right ahead, meat eating is actually alot easier because it is concentrated protien. You don't need to plan every meal. I'm only trying to counter the common misconception that you can only get enough protien if you eat meat.

I love animals....on my plate.

:grin:

post-84-1149625621_thumb.jpg

Neither of which are need to create protien from amino acids. The fact that we are humans and not cows dosen't change the fact that protien is nothing but chains of amino acids and that if you consume amino acids your body will link them together into the protien it needs. Protien is not some magical thing that can only be created in farm animals, any animal can create protien from its building blocks, including humans.

Please don't think I'm saying meat eating is bad, or being a veggie is better, because I am not. I am only saying that meat is not needed for proper protien levels. If you like meat and want to eat pounds of it every day, go right ahead, meat eating is actually alot easier because it is concentrated protien. You don't need to plan every meal. I'm only trying to counter the common misconception that you can only get enough protien if you eat meat.

What kind of vegetarians are we talkinga bout? The Lacto-Ovid Vegetarians (Hypocrites :D ) or the Vegans (Hippies)?

What kind of vegetarians are we talkinga bout? The Lacto-Ovid Vegetarians (Hypocrites :D ) or the Vegans (Hippies)?

Well, I'm a lacto-ovo, but I wasn't discussing the different varities of vegetarians, just sources of protien. Why on earth would you say that a lacto-ovo veggie is a hypocrite? Wouldn't that depend on your own personal reasons for becomming a veggie?

Dairy animals may not be treated well either, but their flesh is not eaten. For some people, that is enough. I buy hormone free cheese, and do not consume cow's milk for the same hormone reasons, but I fail to see how that makes me a hypocrite except for the fact that it goes against whatever reason YOU think people become veggies. I've never really liked eggs much (scrambled, fried, etc.) but I will eat them in recipies like cakes and such. Again, I try to buy free range organic when it comes to that. I do not eat seafood, but again, that is something I never really cared for anyway.

The main reasons I became a veggie was the hormones that we inject animals with to make them grow faster and bigger, coupled with the anti biotics that we add to their feed in the vain attempt to deter disease. That and the fact that I REALLY love all the salted, fatty meats and I'm not too fond of the healthier meats, so I figured I might as well just stop eating it altogether. I dropped 20 pounds within 2 months, and it was fat, not muscle mass.

But I own a leather jacket and the studio has a leather couch. I don't subscribe to the anthropomorphic slant you read about in the PETA literature, if that's what you were thinking. I only want to avoid eating preservatives and hormones in my food, and I fail to see how that makes me a hypocrite. I also try to avoid hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syryp as well. I also agree with the Buddhist non-violence slant in that if animal flesh is not needed for me to be healthy, then I won't use it as a source of protien. I'll let them live their lives out wherever, and I'll live mine out.

But I don't see how this makes me a hypocrite.

Vegetarians are so tense...

:mellow:

Go make a salad.

Vegetarians are so tense...

:mellow:

We must be..with all those vegetables...

:HaHa:

I'm not a vegetarian..as I said earlier, just a nonpork and nonbeef person.

However Marty, if you happen to come back to this thread, you can buy nonhormone/totally organic meat at Whole Foods. Of course, you have to PAY more for it. I've been considering a roast..getting bored with chicken, turkey and fish.

I did try the ground beef from there..no ill effects, which tells me it is the crap they feed the Walmart Cows..(assuming Walmart has their own cows...most likely imported from a third world country where they are slaughtered in a sweat shop :HaHa: )

Go make a salad.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Seriously though, I think vegetarianism is a bit contrived - in order to really be healthy as a vego you need supplements and you have to really control what you eat. I view it as almost a denial of our humanity. We evolved to be the way we are as a result of eating meat and I think that including meat in your diet is just a part of being a human being.

Having said that - maybe we should try a huge social experiment where vegetarians are only allowed to breed with other vegetarians - maybe we'll end up with a new species of human well adapted to eating a plant only diet... Homo Vegetarianus?

But that's just my opinion - if people want to go to all the trouble and hassle of being vegetarians - I have no beef with them (no pun intended). They're lucky to be living in a time where we have the technology to make such a lifestyle possible I guess.

They're lucky to be living in a time where we have the technology to make such a lifestyle possible I guess.

Well, that's exactly where I am. I know I'm lucky to be living in a time where we can elect not to eat meat. Factory farms disgust me, and until I can afford kind meat, I'll be popping suppliments.

On a side note, I don't know if I should really be considered a veggie. I eventually plan to eat meat again, in the meantime I'm just changing a long ingrained lifestyle of eating chicken breasts as big as my fuggin head.