Goodbye Jesus

What The Hell Is Wrong With Ex-c?

Guest Zoe Grace

2. While the board has it's quirks (i.e. ocassional thread deletion) any true censorship is rare. Threads get heated, and they can go on heated for awhile before a mod ever steps in in any capacity. There isn't a constant fear of banning, or being given some kind of "time out" or "reprimand." (some people complain that mods don't step in sooner, but I really think that TOO much micro-managing of grown adults and their issues is a barrier to growth, not an aide in it. Coming from a place where you COULDN'T truly express yourself...i.e. fundie christianity and christian message boards...it's important not to have that same thing again. We all have an ignore button.)

This reminds me of a website called Television Without Pity. The moderators there are EXTREME assholes.

You, literally, have to watch every single thing you say or else you will be reprimanded and later banned.

If you say anything off the cuff the might offend someone they will warn you.

I hate those kind of moderators and they should all die. That is why I like this site.

ExC is like an internet version of Mos Eisley. :HaHa:

zoe, i don't know what's wrong with ex-c. personally, i feel it is very different. there are many new posters on here, who i haven't been introduced to, or haven't introduced myself to. by the way, i am fortunehooks. i think the differences that people are talking about has nothing to do with the boards at all, i think they just miss people who use to be here everyday. to name a few, ms.reach, moore, ibf, woodsmoke, spidermonkey, notblindedbythelight, and many more.

many people aren't here, who initially were here when i joined a few years back. i per se, don't see it as a negative, but i understand how things in life eventually change. there was a time when i was here everyday, but i have just recently started to show up on the boards again.

what i like best about ex-c will remain a mystery to me.

but I'M here. hehe ok i'm moving on lol. :wicked: No, seriously though I miss a lot of those people, but I've seen reach posting recently, as well as IBF and woodsmoke.

Aye, I'm still around, as are Reach, IBF and Zach (moore). I don't think any of us post anywhere near as much as we used to, but we still hang our hats in Dave's house every now and then.

We all gotta do what we gotta do. I've left twice and haven't managed to make it permanent. I think each of my incarnations here have been slightly differently focused. Like I don't really waste time arguing with the fundies here and I don't talk all that much about christianity here anymore.

<snip>

I've tried keeping contact with a lot of people off of here from the last time i left here, but it was never really the same.

Having taken my leave and returned a few times myself, I can relate. Like you, the only consistent reason I really come around anymore is for the company, though there is the occasional discussion or debate that snags my attention.

In my time here, I've built and lost track of more cherished friendships than I'm likely to ever mirror in my day-to-day life. LikeAFish, ISeeDeadPeople, Heimdall, Jezebel Le Fey, Dawn, Ashley, Melissa, Matthew, Stank and likely several others which currently escape my memory; online, they're just screen names, but in my mind and memories the impact they've had upon my life will remain forever.

Partial relief from those losses comes in the form of the retention of other old friendships such as that I share with IBF, Hooks, Jackson, Fwee, Pitchu, Libertus and a dozen others. The real healing salve, however, exists in the knowledge that, having built and established such cherished friendships as those before, I'm perfectly capable of doing so again.

In my not so humble opinion, that's what Dave's house is all about. :)

I am sorry Zoe I am gonna have to disagree with you on this one I think the board has changed vastly since I got here I have already decided that once I hit 1000 posts that I am really not gonna spend much time here anymore. I think that this board is a great resource for new Ex-C's. I know it was useful to me in my "Detox from Xtianity" but it has come time for me to grow farther.

I am floored that Dave made this place and that he has been gracious enough to share it with us but the time comes when people need to move on.

We all gotta do what we gotta do. I've left twice and haven't managed to make it permanent. I think each of my incarnations here have been slightly differently focused. Like I don't really waste time arguing with the fundies here and I don't talk all that much about christianity here anymore.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying though. There comes a time where it's like obsession for the sake of obsession. But sometimes you make friends and like people and want to hang around and chat with them...and well, here you are heh.

I've tried keeping contact with a lot of people off of here from the last time i left here, but it was never really the same.

Honestly, I think I've only made 100 posts so far and I don't think I've learned anything new except for that big argument with asimov about agnosticism vs athiesm. I think this is a great place for people to come and chat, however, the mental evolution many exc's experience will ultimately reach its end. And that is why people think these forums have changed and for some people change is unpleasent. I wish there were some more hardcore fundemental debates that I could work through as an agnostic. Though I feel like I've got all the answers I'm going to get and so what is there left to do?

Though I feel like I've got all the answers I'm going to get and so what is there left to do?

When I run low on answers, I ask new questions.

Zoe,

I couldn't agree more with your original post.

In my time here, I've built and lost track of more cherished friendships than I'm likely to ever mirror in my day-to-day life. LikeAFish, ISeeDeadPeople, Heimdall, ...

Heimdal does post now and then. Usually with something really clever and interesting.

I don't much care for talking about religious issues anymore. Been there, done that I guess. I hang out here since there are a lot of intelligent people to communicate with in my native language.

The biggest change I've noticed is that there seems to be a rumbling from some against skepticism. Anyone who demands a rational explanation for things is easily and quickly labled a fundy. It occurs to me that this quickness to label is more akin to the fundies who are so easily offended when we don't buy their views of reality, but that's just me.

So, all of you who want to believe in wierd unexplained phenomena, no sweat off my back. I'll just avoid those topics because I'm not here to make enemies over issues I don't care that much about.

I think that being skeptical is a good thing. I agree that it is possible to be a fundy skeptic, just like it's possible to be a fundy anything. Fundiness isn't solely owned by the Christian religion, although there are certainly a lot of Christian fundies.