Goodbye Jesus

What group do non-christians rule?

Eponymic

I was thinking today- ya know, the vast majority (80% or more) of the theatre people I know are non-Christians. I also know a lot of people in the arts community (photography, poets, artists, musicians, etc.) that aren't Christian either.

I think the arts have a high propensity towards independent thought so there's a larger percentage of us that are open minded & non-Christian.

What groups, professions, etc. do you see that often have a higher percentage of non-Christians?

:scratch:

Guest Kevin B
I was thinking today- ya know, the vast majority (80% or more) of the theatre people I know are non-Christians. I also know a lot of people in the arts community (photography, poets, artists, musicians, etc.) that aren't Christian either.

I think the arts have a high propensity towards independent thought so there's a larger percentage of us that are open minded & non-Christian.

What groups, professions, etc. do you see that often have a higher percentage of non-Christians?

Maybe, but a lot of your psychologists and other hard core scientific types are generally agnostic or atheist.

I would say the two professional spheres that I am part of are highly populated by non-Christians.... and that would be the Theatre world (yes, I know, already discussed..) and the Anthropology world.

I wish I knew that many personally. :twitch: All of my non-Christian associates I can count on one hand; my athiest associates, half a hand. Everyone else mostly varies between Christian who couldn't care less if they converted anyone or even went to church weekly, to a few who preach like the hypocrites they are, go to church, and voted for Bushie. :vent:

I wish I knew that many personally. :twitch: All of my non-Christian associates I can count on one hand; my athiest associates, half a hand.    Everyone else mostly varies between Christian who couldn't care less if they converted anyone or even went to church weekly, to a few who preach like the hypocrites they are, go to church, and voted for Bushie.    :vent:

Well, the down side of my knowing a bunch of non-Christians is I probably already know a good percentage of the non-Christians in Anchorage. Then again, there are a lot of liberal people up here, some of them just aren't educated enough yet.

Frankly, it's really wierd up here.

Heck, considering we live in this really bizarre, liberal state that almost wants to legalize marijuana (but not quite), its no surprise there are a lot of non-Christians here. Yet this is the same dipshit state that voted for Bush with a higher percentage, 61%, than any other state. GACK!

Its like we have this pseudo-safe unspoken "The Village" type bond where we good decent open-minded people don't go into the woods of the blood thirsty jaberwocky, red cape wearing Christians. And I'm just waiting for the day where we wake up and find all are doors marked with red antichrist symbols telling us to get out or get attacks by the crosses of holy fire.

In 10 years of programming, I've yet to meet a christian programmer that was worth a damn. I've met a few that sucked.

Most of the people I know are scientists, and most of them are agnostic or atheist. There are some Christians, but they're mostly quite liberal and sensible in their thinking. From what I can tell, this might be because they've separated their religious thinking from their scientific thinking, as Zoe Grace suggested. I know that's certainly how I managed it.

There is, however, a visible minority of evangelical Christians on campus. I have no idea how they manage to corroborate their fundamentalist beliefs with their scientific knowledge (almost everyone on campus is a scientist or engineer of some descripton). Pretty much everyone who's come into contact with them, including the other Christians, think they're scary and not entirely sane.

I get the feeling that they are actually a very small percentage of the student body here; they're just much more visible than other groups since they have a strong emphasis on a "campus revival for Christ", and get plenty of financial backing from their evangelical church group to print out tons of glossy, full-colour flyers and posters which they plaster all over the common rooms.

So on the whole, if you want an atheist/agnostic haven, come to science! We don't have (nor claim to have) all the answers, but we do have an excellent recipe for liquid nitrogen ice cream. ;)

So on the whole, if you want an atheist/agnostic haven, come to science! We don't have (nor claim to have) all the answers, but we do have an excellent recipe for liquid nitrogen ice cream. ;)

mmmm..

Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream.

Can I get that in Peanut Butter & Chocolate?

Can I get that in Peanut Butter & Chocolate?

We've already done chocolate, and if you brought the peanut butter I'm sure we could do a batch specially for you. :)

We've already done chocolate, and if you brought the peanut butter I'm sure we could do a batch specially for you. :)

:woohoo::wub::clap::notworthy::woohoo:

Much love for the chocoalte.

The liquid nitro chocolate no less.

Engineers have lots of Xtians. It's about 50:50 from what I've struck.

The ability to apply rigid principles seems to work well with them...

I crossed over into engineering from science and found the work environment,

and the types of people much more conservative.

Engineers have lots of Xtians. It's about 50:50 from what I've struck.

The ability to apply rigid principles seems to work well with them...

I crossed over into engineering from science and found the work environment,

and the types of people much more conservative.

2nded. I think your 50/50 guess is right on too. I happen to work with a firm that is almost all non religious and they are some of the brightest and most open minded engineers out there.

I think religion or the lack thereof can help OR hinder engineering. On the one hand, having faith that you can solve a problem, even when you haven't figured out how, is a benefit.

However the most closed minded individuals that I've worked with (the ones convinced that their assessment of a situation was right) were the christian ones.

I will second the assessment on coders(programmers), with a caveat. There may have been christian ones that I have worked with, but I don't really know, it tends not to come up that much around where I am. I've found most to be pragmatic in that way.

Catholic Church Priests? Just kiddin'.

The arts, music and movie industry seems to be the highest ranking, and of course scientific field and people working in the biology field. But I don't think there is any field with 100% atheists.

Maybe, but a lot of your psychologists and other hard core scientific types are generally agnostic or atheist.

biologists, psychologists, mathematicians [kinda]... certain college professors.

Definitely agree with the "geeky" professions...computer science, regular science, etc. I have a computer programming degree myself, but am currently not in that profession. Also, I've noticed that non-Christians tend to be open-minded and read a lot, like movies that engage the mind like science fiction, and generally enjoy learning things.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of the people I know are scientists, and most of them are agnostic or atheist. There are some Christians, but they're mostly quite liberal and sensible in their thinking. From what I can tell, this might be because they've separated their religious thinking from their scientific thinking, as Zoe Grace suggested. I know that's certainly how I managed it.

There is, however, a visible minority of evangelical Christians on campus. I have no idea how they manage to corroborate their fundamentalist beliefs with their scientific knowledge (almost everyone on campus is a scientist or engineer of some descripton). Pretty much everyone who's come into contact with them, including the other Christians, think they're scary and not entirely sane.

I get the feeling that they are actually a very small percentage of the student body here; they're just much more visible than other groups since they have a strong emphasis on a "campus revival for Christ", and get plenty of financial backing from their evangelical church group to print out tons of glossy, full-colour flyers and posters which they plaster all over the common rooms.

I plan on going into a career in Business or a Lawyer. Are there many atheists like myself in that field?

THEOLOGIANS

I plan on going into a career in Business or a Lawyer.  Are there many atheists like myself in that field?

Some lawyers think they're god.