Goodbye Jesus

Humanoid Robot Is A Crowd-pleaser

Reverend AtheiStar

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/060525_android.htm

Humanoid robot is a crowd-pleaser

May 25, 2006

Special to World Science

Korea has developed an “android” robot capable of facial expressions on its humanoid face, Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported earlier this month. It’s the second such machine to be developed after one from Japan.

According to the publication, Korea’s Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy recently invited some 60 children in Seoul to interact with the robot, “EveR-1.”

Its name combines the first female name found in the Bible, Eve, with the “r” in robot.

The Korean Institute for Industrial Technology in Chungnam, Korea, developed the android, or humanoid robot.

The android has the face and body of a woman in her 20s. It can move its upper body and express happiness, anger, sadness and pleasure, a statement from the institute said.

EveR-1 understands 400 words, according to the institute. It can also look back at whoever stands near it, Chosun Ilbo reported; its skin is made from a silicon jelly that feels similar to human skin. But it can’t move its lower half.

“Fifteen tiny motors embedded into her silicon face enable her to make a total of four expressions in tune with as many sentiments,” the institute said in its statement. “From a distance, the android could be confused with a real, flesh and blood human being.”

“The robot can serve to provide information in department stores and museums or read stories to children; it’s capable of both education and entertainment functions,” said the institute’s Baeg Moon-hong, part of the team that created the robot, according to Chosun Ilbo.

Later this year, the institute plans to debut EveR-2, which will have better vision, expressive capacities and the ability to sit or stand, Moon-hong told the publication

dammit, I wanna see a video of her interacting.

(sorry for posting twice, but the edit doesnt work)

Here is a video shot in december 2005 at the Tokyo Intertnational Robot Expo.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=091ugdiojEM&sea...anese%20android

I have no idea if this exposition is held every year, but I will be in Tokyo in December of this year, so I'll definitely try to get some info about that. I'd love to see one of those with my own eyes.

The J-Girl is almost freakish, how lifelike "she" is.

Here is a video of the Japanese model

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gD1tjTsBsJc&sea...anese%20android

My understanding of the language is a little limited, but what I understood sounded pretty coherent. I'm sure in less than 2 decades, it will be impossible to tell the difference between an android and a human.

Wow, that's soooo creepy! I felt for a second like I was in a sci-fi future flick where they show the beginnings of how things in the now dominated landscape came to be. You know, where they show old copies of that video!

On the non-paranoid side, though, it's amazing! I can see no end to the innovation that can be accomplished with this. I also tend to think, being the pervert that I am, it won't be long before we start seeing android hookers like in that very cheesy movie Cherry 3000! lol...

The J-Girl is almost freakish, how lifelike "she" is.

I agree. It's rather scary. I hope she's programmed with the three laws! lol... <nervous laughter>

Have you guys seen this? We are planning on getting one for our son for his birthday.

It really is amazing, especially because the most advanced robot I've seen (with my own eyes) is Sony's little robot dog at the Sony building in Ginza. To tell the truth, I wasn't very impressed with it. Waving his tail when I caressed his back was pretty much the only reaction he had, he wasn't even interested in playing with his toy.

And now, they have a robot woman that can listen to you and respond to your voice. Although some of her movements look a bit "3PO-ish", I'm sure it must be fascinating to interact with her.

hell a 3POish robot would be a huge step up from where we are now.

that thing looks like they took one of those Real Doll sex toys and put some motors in it lol.

when that thing can clean my house i'll be suitably impressed

that thing looks like they took one of those Real Doll sex toys and put some motors in it lol.

I agree....more like a puppet than an "android".

It really is amazing, especially because the most advanced robot I've seen (with my own eyes) is Sony's little robot dog at the Sony building in Ginza. To tell the truth, I wasn't very impressed with it. Waving his tail when I caressed his back was pretty much the only reaction he had, he wasn't even interested in playing with his toy.

And now, they have a robot woman that can listen to you and respond to your voice. Although some of her movements look a bit "3PO-ish", I'm sure it must be fascinating to interact with her.

You weren't impressed with Aibo? But it looked so cool! I suppose, though, there's a giant difference between "looking" and "being."

lol... I just got that. C-3PO. Yeah, kind of jerky movements akin to a lizard. I'd like to see her try to dance. lol...

<gag> Those dolls are gross. They look so real that without movement they look like corpses. When I saw the dolls on Real SEx it looked like a sequel to Weekend at Bernies! lol...

You weren't impressed with Aibo? But it looked so cool! I suppose, though, there's a giant difference between "looking" and "being."

Well, I guess he was kinda cool, but I expected a bit more. He only really reacted when I caressed his back, by waving his tail and barking. The rest of the time, he was walking around the small area where he was, and he didn't seem to react to noise or to be interested in anything, not even his toys or his bone. Although, I wonder if it's because it's programed to get "tired" after a while (to make it more realistic)? It's true that there were a lot of people who wanted to interact with him, and it had probably been that way since the morning.

What, a woman that listen to you and respond to you? That's not life like... :HaHa:

Put a tape recorder in the robot that repeates "do the dishes, wash the car, take the kids to school..." then we get closer.

... now I better run fast... :grin:

Talking about it, I have to confess about my dirty little mind here. One of them looked like she/it was going to take of her/its clothes. :wicked:

First it was cheap printing, then it was video, followed shortly after by the internet.

When do you think a more flexible model will come out?

:wicked:

They already have the life-like dolls (real dolls?), so they only need a little technology built in, and that's it.

It's funny, many new technologies are used in the sex industry early on.

I think a sex robot would be awesome. I'd save a bunch of money. Won't have to buy so many dinners and drinks.

Well, I guess he was kinda cool, but I expected a bit more. He only really reacted when I caressed his back, by waving his tail and barking. The rest of the time, he was walking around the small area where he was, and he didn't seem to react to noise or to be interested in anything, not even his toys or his bone. Although, I wonder if it's because it's programed to get "tired" after a while (to make it more realistic)? It's true that there were a lot of people who wanted to interact with him, and it had probably been that way since the morning.

Pleo seems to be better in this respect. Have you seen the video? It's impressive:

http://www.demo.com/demonstrators/demo2006/63039.html

I think a sex robot would be awesome. I'd save a bunch of money. Won't have to buy so many dinners and drinks.

Maybe some oil and batteries, but not dinner and drinks. lol...

And a remote. With mute button. :HaHa:

(Okay, to be honest, I don't have the problem with my wife, okay... don't want to give you the wrong impression here. My wifey is all goodness in one package. :) )

Pleo seems to be better in this respect. Have you seen the video? It's impressive:

Damn, I know I wouldve been very happy if I had one of those when I was a little kid.

Damn, I know I wouldve been very happy if I had one of those when I was a little kid.

Yeah, me too! I had something called an Armitron that my Dad picked up at Radio Shack. It was just a cheap version of one of those arms you see working on cars. Man, was it cool, though! I played with that thing for hours on end! I also had a little robotic puppy that would bark and when it bumped into something it would go the other direction. Nothing much technologically, but at the time and with my young mind, it was awe inspiring! The stuff we see available to kids now was only to be found in movies back then.