Goodbye Jesus

Quakers

Guest cold_dark_water

Guest cold_dark_water

What do you think about Quakers ?

They seem pretty decent compared to the catholic fundies...

I think that's one of the reasons why they are NOT a strong/big/dominating movement anywhere.

It would be too "nice" to exchange hordes of raging catholics for some peaceful Quakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers

i think they make the best oatmeal :grin:

Of those I met, they shouldn't really fall under the category of "Chirst-ians" since they don't belive Christ, or the bible for that matter, to be important. They're essentialy an organised Deist sect.

What do you think about Quakers ?

They seem pretty decent compared to the catholic fundies...

I think that's one of the reasons why they are NOT a strong/big/dominating movement anywhere.

It would be too "nice" to exchange hordes of raging catholics for some peaceful Quakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers

My ancestors were Quakers from right near the beginning (1650 or so) until the early 1800's. I like Quakers because they keep such good records. Births, deaths, marriages, moving from one meeting to the next, etc. Fantastic from a geneaological perspective.

From what I can tell, however, it seems like a mostly liberal political group at this point, as opposed to a religious group.

The Quakers I've known do believe in God/Jesus, and one told me that the Friends see the light (or was it spark?) of Christ in everyone. Even unrepentent atheists like me.

The Quaker meeting I attended was of the unprogrammed variety: Everyone remained silent until they thought the holy spirit moved them to say something.

It was in West Branch, Iowa-- the same meeting that Herbert Hoover attended. Which I find odd. The Quakers are generally left of center and very giving, yet produced Hoover and Nixon. Go figure.

The Quakers also have the Scattergood School there, known for rescuing a slew of Jewish children from the Nazis.