Goodbye Jesus

Oh Aaaaammyyyyy!

Fweethawt

I personally don't buy into the "Mother Theresa was a Nazi" theory.

Where's the proof that she hoarded away all those millions? I'm sure sums of money were donated to her cause, but you only have to look at her and see how she lived to realize she lived a simple life. They never had the balls to accuse her whilst she was alive, so I say leave her alone now and let her RIP.

Kevin:

She was accused while she was alive. I knew about this and passed the information about the true nature of her "charity" on to others while she was still alive, as did a lot of other people. The fact that she died doesn't make her magically untouchable.

I actually went on a mission trip to calcutta when I was in college, and worked in the mother teresa homes for about two weeks while I was there. Most of the help is voluteer. I did everything from washing clothes by hand to carring dead bodies.....Yes I carried a dead body on two occasions.

The conditions were deplorable in many ways, I was always told by many people that it was because there just wasn't enough money to make things better and all they could do was give them a comfortable death, and after reading this article it just makes me angry, if mother Teresa really had millions of dollars she was sitting on then she IS a bitch, because those homes were horible even by the standards of most other places in Calcutta.

I also met sister Nirmala once, didn't get to talk to her much, but she was nice person....some of the other nuns though could be horibly mean, one in particular who ran the home for the dying which was next to Kali temple.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to live their life like that?

Where is the proof that mother theresa was an "evil bitch" any documents, papers, that are written by professionals that I can look up? I guess, I'm asking, where is your proof? I want to see it before I believe in it.

Where is the proof that mother theresa was an "evil bitch" any documents, papers, that are written by professionals that I can look up? I guess, I'm asking, where is your proof? I want to see it before I believe in it.

This stuff really wasn't hard to find. First page of a google for "Mother Theresa did harm"

http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/mother_...sa/sanal_ed.htm

The links on this page are also relevant.

And there's even an online book - "The Final Verdict" a few sections are free......importantly the introduction page:

http://www.meteorbooks.com/introduction.html

I'm not sure exactly who qualifes as a "professional" but I consider anyone native to India more qualified than myself, so there's this

http://www.deeshaa.org/2005/08/04/abusing-...n-teresa-style/

Here are som'e quotes from folks too:

http://www.goacom.org/overseas-digest/Reli...abeatified.html

I'd hunt for more, but I gotta go to work.

She might have been following orders.

I'm sorry Amanda, but this is never a valid excuse. Just ask the Nazi's that were tried at Nuremberg [sic]. I'm not saying she was a Nazi, but following an immoral order is just as bad as issuing the order in the first place.

It seems the main point of contention here is "who had control of the money?"

If it was Theresa, or a sub-organization of the Catholic Church over which she was responsible, then she is to blame. If it was tyhe Catholic Church itself, then they are responsible for malpractice and fraud (using donations for purposes other than intended by donator).

If she honestly believed in all this "suffering is good" and this, in turn, influenced her actions, then she a sad, pitiable figure, but ultimately still responsible for her actions and those the reported to her.

:shrug:

The sad thing is that there aren't really any laws controling how religious organizations spend money that was donated to them.

Remember the PTL scandel back in the 80's? Even with that the government got him on tax evasion, not on misuse of the donated funds.

Our laws are stupid. :shrug:

Thanks everyone! I have bookmarked them and will take my time reading them. :)

Is Mother Teresa A True Christian? (There's that phrase, "True Christian" again!) by David W. Cloud, Way Of Life Literature. A critique of Teresa from a fundy Baptist. Does the bias against Roman Catholicism necessarily negate the facts? You be the judge.

I'm still going to remain skeptical about the claims against her until I see substantial proof of where the money went etc. I can accept that the people who ran her organisation would have benefitted from her world wide popularity. It would also have been in their interests to give her the best medical attention, when she needed it. She ultimately became an icon for homeless children in Calcutta, and her popularity eventually overshadowed, and possibly impeded her original goals.

Kevin:

I'm still going to remain skeptical about the claims against her until I see substantial proof of where the money went etc.

Um....Kevin, did you read the Susan Shields article? You wanted proof of where the money went, her testimony is pretty fair evidence of where it didn't go.

Yet another critique. Mother Teresa Fundy, Fanatic and Fraud

This returns us to the medieval corruption of the church, which sold indulgences to the rich while preaching hellfire and continence to the poor. MT was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction. And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go? The primitive hospice in Calcutta was as run down when she died as it always had been—she preferred California clinics when she got sick herself—and her order always refused to publish any audit. But we have her own claim that she opened 500 convents in more than a hundred countries, all bearing the name of her own order. Excuse me, but this is modesty and humility?

The rich world has a poor conscience, and many people liked to alleviate their own unease by sending money to a woman who seemed like an activist for "the poorest of the poor." People do not like to admit that they have been gulled or conned, so a vested interest in the myth was permitted to arise, and a lazy media never bothered to ask any follow-up questions. Many volunteers who went to Calcutta came back abruptly disillusioned by the stern ideology and poverty-loving practice of the "Missionaries of Charity," but they had no audience for their story. George Orwell's admonition in his essay on Gandhi—that saints should always be presumed guilty until proved innocent—was drowned in a Niagara of soft-hearted, soft-headed, and uninquiring propaganda.

One of the curses of India, as of other poor countries, is the quack medicine man, who fleeces the sufferer by promises of miraculous healing. Sunday was a great day for these parasites, who saw their crummy methods endorsed by his holiness and given a more or less free ride in the international press. Forgotten were the elementary rules of logic, that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. More than that, we witnessed the elevation and consecration of extreme dogmatism, blinkered faith, and the cult of a mediocre human personality. Many more people are poor and sick because of the life of MT: Even more will be poor and sick if her example is followed. She was a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud, and a church that officially protects those who violate the innocent has given us another clear sign of where it truly stands on moral and ethical questions.

Ever notice how little our icons are ever examined or questioned? ("Jesus", Mother Teresa, George Washington, JFK, Ronald Reagan, Billy Graham, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Ghandi and so on.) Ever notice how propaganda is favored over truth? People WANT, and even NEED their icons to be "perfect" and larger than life. No dirt may EVER be allowed to tarnish their image. And anyone who dares question motives, or insist upon an audit is summarily dismissed as a "bad person" full of venom and sour grapes.

It's no wonder we're a world of deluded fools.

Ever notice how little our icons are ever examined or questioned? ("Jesus", Mother Teresa, George Washington, JFK, Ronald Reagan, Billy Graham, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Ghandi and so on.) Ever notice how propaganda is favored over truth? People WANT, and even NEED their icons to be "perfect" and larger than life. No dirt may EVER be allowed to tarnish their image. And anyone who dares question motives, or insist upon an audit is summarily dismissed as a "bad person" full of venom and sour grapes.

So true, Mista Grinch. Heaven forbid we DARE to question the motives or habits of our so-called "icons." We live in a world so poor in true heroes that people need whatever icons there are to be perfect. Couple that with the human desire to exalt their heroes, and you have people practically worshipping other humans.

Deluded fools, indeed.

Oh, Mr. Grinchy :wub: , you must :yellow: not forget :jesus: that there are :wub: two sides :wub: to every delusion. :magic::yellow:

Oh, Mr. Grinchy :wub: , you must :yellow: not forget :jesus: that there are :wub: two sides :wub: to every delusion. :magic::yellow:

i like doing that.

:HaHa:

:P

:)Asuryan, I would like to ask you something... since I'm really not all that familiar with the Catholic syndicate.

Is the money given to Mother Tereasa, or the Catholic church?

Does Mother Tereasa have the ultimate responsiblity of these donated funds, or does the Catholic church?

Is the idea that suffering is good propagated only by Mother Tereasa, or is it a teaching of the Catholic church?

Couldn't it be possible that Mother Tereasa is just another victim of brain washing, and even those all the way to the top might be victims of brainwashing, selected to perpetuate the brainwashing? It seems that as much of their life they've placed on these foundations, confined to these teachings... they may not even have had the opportunity to seriously consider any other reality.

I certainly may be wrong... please enlighten me. :help:

Ok, here I am. Let's see...

As far as I know, the donated funds go straight to the Mother Teresa Foundation. It is a foundation, though, not exactly a sacerdotal order (such as francescans, dominicans, jesuites, and so on), so the money donated to the Mother Teresa Foundation could be administrated directly from the Foundation itself and its leaders (meaning, Mother Teresa, I don't know who's administering the dough right now that she's dead). Much like the Italian Charismatic movement, and the Templars of old, it HAS ties with the Catholic church, and good relationships with it (this means encounters with the Pope, blessings, and one-praising-the-works-and-importance-of-the-other), but ultimately seeing as it is an indipendent group it administrates its money and property independently.

So. The money went straight to the Mother Teresa Foundation. Mother Teresa was the one that decided how to use the money.

The idea that Suffering is Good is an old popular catholic tenet, but nowadays it only survives in certain regions of southern italy, just like the custom of flagellation, and it's a local "tradition", not a real tenet anymore. In fact, the more disadvantaged (higher poverty rate, less scholarization, presence of analphabetism, higher crime) the region, the more the Suffering is Good tradition holds ground. I guess there's a lesson there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that sucks. Mother T was one of the few Christians I thought really exemplified anything decent.

This is actually more disturbing than coming to the conclusion that there's no God.