Goodbye Jesus

Christian video games -- a nascent boom?

nivek

Christian video games -- a nascent boom?

Reuters

"Will the spiritual and gaming worlds transcend their realms? Hoping

to tap into the same audience that has made Christian Pop music a

force in the entertainment industry, some developers are betting that

Christian-themed video games can claim a sizeable chunk of the $10

billion gaming market. So far, games such as 'Spiritual Warfare' and

'Exodus: Journey to the Promised Land' have drawn a loyal following by

combining biblical themes with mild action. Users can travel through

biblical lands, solve puzzles based on scripture and, in some games,

slash demonic foes." [Editor's note: And next ... games based on the

Left Behind books? - MLS] (05/17/05)

http://tinyurl.com/7hpmy

And I thought computer tennis sounded dull!

Merlin

"Exodus: Journey To The Promised Land" sounds like a buy-bull version of "Oregon Trail".

Wasn't there a game called Bible Adventures for 8 bit Nintendo?

Guest Peyton

I love the way it says 'mild action'. Well, that's me sold, where can I find some of these games? NOT!!!!!

if they did it right, some of those games could be really sweet. Fighting giants, waging wars, killing demons?? SWEET!!!

hoping to tap into the same audience that has made Christian Pop music a

force in the entertainment industry,...

:lol::lmao:

I love the way it says 'mild action'.  Well, that's me sold, where can I find some of these games?  NOT!!!!!

Then, most likely, the game is not according to the old book.

Slaying kids, pregnat women, raping, pillaging and all that stuff.

I guess they did some censoring.

Guest Tzimisce

A good video game is a good video game. *shrugs*

Slaying demons sounds fun actually. Worked in that "Evil Dead: Hail to the King" game.

Guest Peyton

What about a game whereby you get to slay Christian proselytisers who insist on telling you about The Lawd? You could get a choice of weapons and ways of offing them. I'd buy that!

What about a game whereby you get to slay Christian proselytisers who insist on telling you about The Lawd?  You could get a choice of weapons and ways of offing them.  I'd buy that!

now that would be fun! :wicked:

:HaHa: And if these games were going by the Bible accordingly then they would also have when you whack kids and little dogs ( if you have read one of James Dobson's child raising books you would get what I'm saying) with your belt you win points.

First, why is this in the science section?

Second, I'd like to see a Christian video game that includes the priest character from "Dead Alive". And every time he goes into action he shouts, "I KICK ASS FOR THE LORD!"

Christian or not, I would play that.

Oy. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Narnia game due to the upcoming movie.

You can already slay demons in lots of games. Diablo II and Sacred, for instance. It's loads of fun.

Oh cool! I can't wait until Smite the Amelakites comes out! Extra points for killing babies and cows.

And then there is Chariots of Iron in which God anoints you to smite those Chariots he can't handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Here a couple of good Christian game titles they could come up with

(c'mon help out here guys)

1. Empty Tomb Raider - Lara Croft is back, and yes she's converted.

2. Personal Space Invaders - intergalactic God botherers hit your shopping mall

to spread the good news.

3. Grand Theft Auto 5 - Salt Lake City: Door to Door.

4. Eternal (Half) Life - Can Gordon Freeman turn Black Mesa into an evangelical centre? Can he convince those evil scientists that evolution is wrong?

5. Jerusalem (Rome): Total War - The ulitmate biblical showdown, as all the religions of the world 'get it on.'

6. Halo 3 - Master Chief converts the Flood to the ways of the Lord. God sorts out the Covenant Old Testament style.

7. Abes Oddysee: The Great Flood Adventure - Abe and Munch set off to put all the Oddworld creatures on a big boat before the big rains come.

:woohoo:

Mr. Neil, to answer your question: yes, there was. And it was truly astounding for its time, revealing for us Noah and his superhuman strength, how Moses is indeed made of wood, and, well, how completely fucking crazy Christains in 8-bit can be.

Guest ^o^CORVUS^o^

^ Beat me to it :)

Anyway, if past games are any indicator, I don't think there will be any boom. A thud maybe :lmao:

The last batch of Christian-themed games featured bad graphics and horrible gameplay. Unless some REALLY talented developers decide this is something that must be done, the same (and possibly worse) will be true of the next batch of games.

Hahahaha! Oh jeez.... I love Seanbaby.

The company that made that Bible Adventures game (which was an unlicenced release, they did need some good reverse engineering skills to even get the thing to run on the NES due to Nintendo's lockout chips, despite the game itself sucking some serious donkey wang), also made a shoot-em-up with the Doom engine that was released for the SNES (At least I believe it was the DOOM engine). This was largely due to NOA hacking idSoftware off.

There is actually a bit of interesting history there if you look.

And as an asside, is anyone else tired of those knockoff cartrige based "systems in a controler" deals. Ran into a 2600 with what they called "Adventure" couldn't believe that the game was screwed up on it, but it was definately built off of some Asian (probably Taiwaneese) knockoff cart. For reference, I cut my teeth on a 2600, and I know that particular game exceedingly well. Kind of hacked me off at what they were trying to pawn off on consumers nowadays.

/rant now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

That's right. I was going to mention the irony of a Bible-based game having to go through the shady process of dodging Nintendo's licensee policy. So Christianity had to sneak into the video game market through the backdoor. Nothing new as far as the faith goes.

Nintendo's licencee policy at the time for third party developers wasn't exactly legal, hence a DoJ decision against them in the early 90's, specifically against their lockout technology. It looks that this company actually "clean-roomed" the lock chip, taking some skill. They may have taken a back door, but it was against an illegal policy.

It was also due to a lot of Nintendo's policies, that they lost a number of 3rd party developers in the 90's, notably Capcom, Konami and Squaresoft, once they were released from contractual obligations. Some of those wounds are healing, but there isstill a fair bit of bad blood there.