Goodbye Jesus

Asshole On The Jref Forum

Guest JP

yeah that guy was an ass. he doesnt understand that the problem is christian mentallity. if someone told me they heard voices in their head, i'd say "yo man... you need to see a doctor," and not let's pray or god be with you....

that reminds me of a topic we discussed in another thread about christians who refuse to see psychologists and doctors because they have faith.

http://www.interfaithforums.com/showthread.php?t=4601

It seems to me that the poster may have been trying to say that Mr. Brady didn't set out to intentionally harm you. Did Mr. Brady act inappropriately? Absolutely. Did he do exactly the wrong thing? You betcha. Do you have a right to be pissed at him for what he did? No doubt about it. But I'm guessing he didn't do it with malice aforethought (of course, I could be wrong). People like Mr. Brady are to be pitied because they typically have a lot of guilt hidden away deep inside. They think they have all the answers and they end up inadvertently hurting the people they try to help.

Hm.

It kind of sounds to me like the thing the poster responding to you didn't get was that Mr. Brady's actions were predatory.

True, he didn't know you had OCD, neither did you, and he might've thought that he was trying to help... but his methods amounted to a form of mindfuck. Which isn't good for anybody, and is even worse when exacerbated by a medical condition (OCD in your case, but could be depression, anxiety, whatever).

Mr. Brady's intent doesn't matter in terms of the impact it had on you. It might only ever matter if you feel, in the future, that you need or want to forgive him for his attitude. (Which is NOT a requirement, by the way.)

I'd say the poster responding was kind of an asshat, but maybe doesn't know he was being an asshat. Mr. Brady was still pulling a mindfuck on you, regardless of any other circumstances.

You gotta remember, JP, that this brady guy is a believer. He had faith that if he could start you on the God path, then God would take over and make everything okay.

I'm sure he meant no harm. In his world, he thought he was giving you the ultimate help, eternal life, boundless joy, peace, harmony, the whole God enchilada.

Just goes to show that this God he was selling is a phony. You were sincere in wanting to find out about this. In wanting to know if this was real. Opening up to give God a chance to show himself.

Lots of us did this. And in the moments when we needed God the most, we found no one home.

What kind of God, who had limitless capabilities, would lead a person on and then leave them hanging - let them be desperate - watch them as they were drowning - and just remain silent, aloof, elusive, invisible.

Don't blame brady too much. He's just another chump who took the bait and got in deeper and deeper until there's nothing left of him but the religion that engulfs his life.

Don't blame God. He won't hear you anyway. Figments of the imaginations of men are usually a little deaf.

Blame religion itself. And be glad you're finding your way clear of it. At least someday you won't be the Mr. Brady fucking up someone else.

That poster later referred to me as a "screwed up 17-year-old kid" that Mr. Brady was just trying to help. I PM'ed him this:

I don't appreciate the fact that you referred to me as a "screwed up 17-year-old kid." Imagine you had been through something very mentally painful, and someone had the audacity to call you that? You completely disregarded the pain I went through and made Mr. Brady look like the victim and that I was the one in the wrong by having OCD. That was out of line, and I think you should take a look in the mirror if you want to see someone who is 'screwed up' enough to take someone else's life story, turn it around and spit it back in their face and call them "screwed up." You are twisted.

What an asshole.

Thanz (the poster on the JREF forum) posted a public apology to me in that thread today. I accepted. I feel better about it now.