Goodbye Jesus

Just Broke The News To Two Seriously Fundy Friends

Lycorth

^..^

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

They might be in a state of shock. :eek: Hopefully, they'll behave at the wedding, when they actually have to experience your chosen ceremony.

I sometimes wonder if we all don't just worry a tad too much about how people will take it if we tell. Yeah, some will come against us ex-christians, and there's been some stories posted that show that. As in verbal abuse, disrespect of boundaries, etc. But many, while upset and bothered, will stick with the occasional comment, furtive email, and behind-the-scenes prayer. Which are annoying, but tolerable. Usually.

Well, that's promising news... but I would give them a while, perhaps even a few months to soak it in. What I've found is that my Christian former friends generally decided to just ignore us after our wedding. I guess it was kind of like saying "goodbye, have a nice life" to them.

I hope the same doesn't happen to you!

^..^

If they didn't flip, they aren't fundies!

I'm glad that it went well. What type of service are you going to have?

If they didn't flip, they aren't fundies!

I'm glad that it went well. What type of service are you going to have?

I agree. If they're open minded about different faiths then, most likely, they aren't apart of the fundamentalist fire and brimstone lot.

Then again, they may accept your differences, for now, just to show support. However, don't be surprised if this friendship dies a slow death.

I don't mean to be negative, but that is generally the way with fundies.

Hopefully, the opposite is true in this case. :grin:

^..^

Sometimes, you get lucky with fundies. It just depends on who they are.

Despite my devout Xian mother's many past failings, our relationship has improved a thousandfold now that everybody's grown up and out of the house. When current spouse and I got married we had a blatantly pagan wedding - circle was cast, my best friend (a Wiccan high priestess) officiated, we had pagan emblems and symbols and ritual elements all over the place.

I had a slightly tense phone call with my mom before it all happened, but it turned out okay - she just wanted to know what paganism was really all about before she sat through a ceremony she didn't understand. I think in the end she kind of thought it was a fluffy religion, but I also think that at the beginning of the convo she was nervous and just had a lot of misconceptions, and was smart enough to ask about it so she could understand better. So it turned out fine. She had a great time at the wedding in the end.

Sometimes people just sort of have something in them that lets them ask questions and find out the truth about things. Even if they're fundies. Sometimes my mom surprises me and a lot of the time I think there's a part of her that really isn't as dogmatically attached to her religion as sometimes she acts like she is. Maybe something similar is going on with your friends.

I hope your wedding goes well, btw. And congrats. :wub:

^..^

Stupid question - what are non-christian weddings like? Or at least how are they different? (This includes pagan, atheist, muslim blah blah blah)

^..^

All depends on the people involved and what their beliefs are. There are more wedding-styles then there are religious opinions to guide them.

One thing I'll wager - Heathen weddings are way more fun :wicked:

I'll make it less vague then. What should your wedding be like?

^..^

If we were not neck-deep in Xians and liable to get in a mess o' trouble, it'd be more full-blown Pagan, with a lot of Odinic elements, and none of this appearance of a "civil ceremony." But since they are throwing the whole deal for us, we're toning down the Heathenry, especially since my fiancee isn't sure just where she fits into Paganism to begin with.

Oh well - we'll just renew our vows in that way, then :)

What!!! No nude dancing around a fire? No baby sacrifice? No desecration of the Host, a la accusations of the middle ages? C'mon, my man, give the fundies what they fear the most: their worst nightmare!!!

^..^