Goodbye Jesus

Study of incidence of atheism country by country

Ian

http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zu...an/atheism.html

coming up on #1 is Sweden

Canada is at #20 (of 50)

The US is at #44 . (there is work to be done down there) .

Yay Sweden, go Sweden (that my homeland)

Don't you every wonder, if so much sin exists in Sweden (they've allowed gay marriage for 10 years), why the 9/11 didn't happen there instead? God should've punished Sweden for all it's sin, and not America. And America, being very religious should have been protected by God. (Gods Elected Country)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, and I don't mind religion, I just wish the christians were a little bit softer in their approach, and not as fundamentalistic.

Or so much political involved.

Atheism and Societal Health

Indeed, countries containing high percentages of non-believers are among the most healthy and wealthy nations on earth (Paul, 2004). Of course, we must always distinguish between those nations where non-belief has been forced upon the society by dictators (“coercive atheism”) from those societies wherein non-belief has emerged on its own without governmental coercion (“organic atheism”). Nations marked by coercive atheism -- such as China, North Korea, Vietnam, and former Soviet states -- are societies marked by all that comes with totalitarianism: poor economic development, intellectual censorship, widespread corruption, ubiquitous depression, etc.. However, nations marked by high levels of organic atheism – such as Sweden, the Netherlands, and France -- are among the healthiest, wealthiest, most educated, and most free societies on earth.

:sing::sing: :sing: :sing:

I'm proud to be an American,

where at least I know I'm free.

And I'd gladly thank the men who died,

and gave that right to meeeeee.

:sing::sing: :sing: :sing:

:vent:God damn, I hate that song!!! :vent:

Where did you find that quote, it was great. It's exactly what I've been thinking!

America had the greatest progress and prosperity while all opinions and beliefs were accepted. Basically the idea behind the constitution. Now when religious moral and contempt for other faiths starting to dominate the decision process in the white house, it seems that the prosperity and freedom is going away.

[Edit]

Oh, my bad, I'm such a dummy, it was in the linked document in the beginning. I didn't read the whole thing.

But I have to add that not everything is totally good in Sweden, taxes are high, and it's hard to get a break and become wealthy and prosper. The freedom of speech and belief is there, but freedom to find your own happiness is not always there.

I still believe capitalism is a very powerfull way to make a country excel in economy and strength. Freedom is a privilege under responsibility. And not a prerogative in the hands of religious leaders.

yet another reason for me to move to (or at least visit) the Netherlands

Norris and Inglehart (2004) found that 31% of West Germans do not believe in God. According to Greeley (2003), 35% of West Germans do not believe in God, but only 11% self-identify as “atheist.” According to Froese (2001), 35% of West Germans are either atheist or agnostic. According to Greeley (2003), 75% of East Germans do not believe in God, with 51% self-identifying as “atheist.” According to Pollack (2002), 74% of East Germans and 38% of West Germans do not believe in God. According to Shand (1998), 42% of West Germans and 72% of East Germans are either atheist or agnostic.

By a rough estimate combined with some maths, 45.55 % of my fellow Germans are free from the christian mind virus. Aaaaah, I feel so damned healthy... :fdevil:

(And now imagine a TV evangelist ranting against atheists over here. All bets are off - examining his maimed corpse, what would have been the lynching method? :wicked: )

Gibt es Raume fuer mich in Deutschland?

Naturlisch haben wir Raum!

Sie sind willkommen.

Naturlisch haben wir Raum!

Sie sind willkommen.

Chinky de douchtzen von kleidzen winky dinky doo op? :Doh:

Chinky de douchtzen von kleidzen winky dinky doo op?  :Doh:

Huh? I'm not sure what you said, but it sure sounds funny!

:dumbo:

Housing is quite cheap here in the recent years, for German conditions that is. :wicked:

Yay Sweden, go Sweden (that my homeland)

Don't you every wonder, if so much sin exists in Sweden (they've allowed gay marriage for 10 years), why the 9/11 didn't happen there instead? God should've punished Sweden for all it's sin, and not America. And America, being very religious should have been protected by God. (Gods Elected Country)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, and I don't mind religion, I just wish the christians were a little bit softer in their approach, and not as fundamentalistic.

Or so much political involved.

Don't be silly Sweden isn't "the chosen nation" it is too cold even for god.

God doesn't mess with the un-chosen nations, unless they have something the chosen nation wants.

Huh? I'm not sure what you said, but it sure sounds funny!

:dumbo:

Dass boincuz zhue schpanken zhue mownkay. :scratch:

NZ is okay in atheism. Only 10000 and I've met some of them....

http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zu...an/atheism.html

coming up on #1 is Sweden

Canada is at #20 (of 50)

The US is at #44 . (there is work to be done down there) .

Interesting. Although the list provided is a bit weird, with these figures I would list Vietnam as number 1. Seemed they took the highest percentage being found in a study as the most certain/valid.

Everyone is welcome in the Netherlands. It's a pity the atttitude of us, Dutch people, is becoming suspicious regarding foreigners (being afraid for fundamental Islamic influences).

I wonder if athiesm is the cause or the effect; with cause being a higher level of education among other things.

Before I found this topic I posted on another board with a similar issue. In the post I noted how those living in countries outside the Anglo paradigm have a much lower receptive rate to the gospel story. I won't rehash it here, but will provide the link: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?show...=40entry18763

(BTW, I hate that song to. The patriotic BS back in the states has gone ballistic since 9/11. So glad to be far away.)

Wierd. Colder climates seem to have less faithfull, while warmer and more temperate locations seem to be religious nutcases. What gives?

Wierd.  Colder climates seem to have less faithfull, while warmer and more temperate locations seem to be religious nutcases.  What gives?

My wife says that in the south it's too hot to think. :grin: She's Russian BTW.

Wierd.  Colder climates seem to have less faithfull, while warmer and more temperate locations seem to be religious nutcases.  What gives?

You're right. It's a strange coincident...

Maybe people just don't want to go to church on Sundays, becuase it's too cold?

Actually Sweden used to be very religious. It was the first Lutheran country.

They kicked all Catholics out (or killed them), in the 16th century, and declared the country Lutheran. Somewhere around 1520-30 CE. The king might have been Gustav II Adolf, but I'm not sure.