Goodbye Jesus

How Do You Deal With The Fundie Crazies?

disEnchanted

I teach in a private school. On rainy days, students in grades k-3 come into my room to watch a movie at recess. One day when I happened to have had a substitute, it rained. The kids came in. One child had a movie, Disney's "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", rated G. The substitute teacher played it for the kids. That should be the end of the story but it's not.

For 2 weeks following this incident, a mother of a 1st grade student hounded me daily about showing the "movie with all that witchcraft and magic". She complained to anyone who would listen. She even went to the headmaster.

To appease her, we had to constantly tell her that if any objectionable movie (to her son) was ever shown again that her son was free to leave the room and go read in his own classroom. We had to assure her over and over that he would not be punished for leaving the room.

I know that what she really wanted was for me to apologize for (my substitute) playing the movie and promise never to play such an evil movie again. Which got me thinking--if I can't play movies with withcraft or magical happenings there really wouldn't be any movies to show the kids now would there? Snow White - no - Wicked stepmother turns into a witch

Cinderella - no - fairy godmother uses magic

Nanny McPhee - no - nanny uses magic

The Little Mermaid - no - magic spells are used

Wizard of Oz - witches

Beauty and the Beast - magic and spells

Finding Nemo - talking animals, must be magic

Magic School Bus - well, no

Harry Potter - oh my god, no

Chronicles of Narnia - I bet she'd approve of this one even though it is full of magic, since all the christians think this one parallels the story of jesus. But I wouldn't show it because it would scare the pants off my little kindergarteners

Okay, I just needed to rant. How do I deal with crazies like this?

Okay, I just needed to rant. How do I deal with crazies like this?

Sounds like you did a pretty good job. They're out there, and you're going to have run ins with them. Just treat them as you would if they were a customer in a retail store. They are always right. You satisfy them and then go back to doing your thing just as you were.

Chronicles of Narnia - I bet she'd approve of this one even though it is full of magic, since all the christians think this one parallels the story of jesus.

Unfortunately, it does and was written intentionally to do so. Typical Christian double standard. Magic is okay as long as it's "God's Magic." :ugh:

That child is going to grow up and write a book about that crazy bitch.

Geez...

For what it is worth I think you did the right thing by NOT apologizing.

Especially for films that are geared towards children.

When I was young, my mother was against magic, but she still let me see stuff like Snow White. She was also against me reading anything remotely interesting.

I find it unusual that the fundy parent hasn't put the kid into a fundy school yet, but I suppose that will come eventually. I feel very sorry for that kid. I was there once.

Sounds like you handled it perfectly. You gave her options and didn't give into her whining. Kudos to you for NOT apologizing or justifying yourself.

That's how you handle fundie crazies. Give them another option to be polite and professional, but basically let them know their whining has no relevance outside of their tiny little minds.

Thanks for all your support! You guys are awesome!

Instead of giving her child the option to go into a different room to read when the others are watching a movie, perhaps you should let him/her watch The Passion of The Christ while the other movie is playing. :mellow:

Instead of giving her child the option to go into a different room to read when the others are watching a movie, perhaps you should let him/her watch The Passion of The Christ while the other movie is playing. :mellow:

:grin: That would be a wonderful choice!

These parents do not want to show Finding Nemo because their are talking animals?! their kids must not get to watch alot of kids movies, then. :lmao: I mean seriously, when was the last time there was a kids movie without talking animals/non-living things? :shrug:

Magic School Bus - well, no

Of course you can't show the Magic School Bus. It's got all that evil science stuff in it. Gosh! :lmao:

Sounds like you handled the situation fine.

The christian private school I went to was pretty twisted actually. Barely learned any math.

At school, I sat through The Last Unicorn probably 5 or six times.

Scrooge (musical....features a graphic HELL sequence for Ebenezer)

Darby O'Gill and the Little People

Charle and the Chocolate Factory (original....including the charming sequences from the tunnel ride)

Lion Witch and the Wardrobe cartoon movie

We watched The Neverending Story when I was seven! The sinking horse scene had me screaming! (I was told to shush....you can't get me to walk on the tidal mudflats or too near a marsh with a fucking shotgun, I'll bite your face first)

Blackbeard's Ghost.

Cat from Outer Space

Honestly, these fundies never cease to make fools of themselves. Ranting over Bedknobs and Broomsticks? That film is ancient...it was around when I was a kid! All that carrying on over a simple Disney kidfilm. Poor kid, I bet he was embarrassed.

My sister in law was like that for a while, when she was on a Jezus kick, wouldn't let her sons listen to anything on the radio but Christian stations. Needless to say, when the boys grew up they became agnostic! :HaHa: