Goodbye Jesus

Does Death give Life a meaning?

Ouroboros

If we would have eternal life here on earth, would that mean we wouldn't care about what we do today? Would we be postpone things, because we can do them tomorrow, and become blase' and lacy?

I think it's just because we have a limited time, and we know it, that we try to do something with our life, and that we can progress and evolve. Without death we would work for a better tomorrow.

Boundaries make for better games, and death is the most stringently enforced boundary of all.

Boundaries make for better games, and death is the most stringently enforced boundary of all.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. If it weren't for death, life would be worthless.

Think about it this way.

Why are diamonds so valuable? Gold?

Why are they worth more than pebbles or rocks you find in your backyard?

Answer: scarcity.

Life is valuable, because it is in limited supply. If no one ever died, living wouldn't mean anything because life would be an unlimited commodity. It would be as common as rocks.

But because we have only so many years, it makes those years scarce, and therefore more valuable.

I've often thought this, too. Part of our love of, say, a crisp, autumn day comes from knowing that its beauty is fleeting. Roses are valuable to us because they wilt so fast.

I think most people fear the event/act of dying but not the knowledge that someday they'll be dead. Does anyone really want to live indefinitely in this world as we know it? When we think of living indefinitely, we always imagine some other, better, transcendent plane for that: Mt. Olympus for the Greek immortal gods, or heaven or paradise or cosmic consciousness or whatever. We always want to link immortality with vaulting out of this world; only the vampire lives on in this world (maybe some Elves and others).

only the vampire lives on in this world ...

And what a vampirical concept it is that the blood of Jesus brings eternal life.

Life is valuable, because it is in limited supply.  If no one ever died, living wouldn't mean anything because life would be an unlimited commodity.  It would be as common as rocks.

But because we have only so many years, it makes those years scarce, and therefore more valuable.

On the other hand, there are some people in this world who take life for granted, and see no value in life at all. Eg: abusers (see many other threads on this site)

I've also noticed that people that have a lot of money and have everything they need, tend to go out on the far end by doing drugs and living a very strange and wild life.

Let me explain.

The area I live in have a lot of very rich people and some (I admit not all of them), have these sex parties, wife swaps, high divorce rates, a lot of drugs and so on. It's almost like money and wealth was not enough after all, and they have to find new things to do.

Struggeling for your daily bread actually is a good thing. You want something to long for and work for. Almost like you have to have the dream of the better tomorrow to live a happy life.

Does it make sense?

I think having "don't die" as a life goal keeps things interesting.

The area I live in have a lot of very rich people and some (I admit not all of them), have these sex parties, wife swaps, high divorce rates, a lot of drugs and so on. It's almost like money and wealth was not enough after all, and they have to find new things to do.

I don't think there is any evidence that the percentage of rich people who engage in these activities is any more or less than the general population. In fact I can probably find you a ghetto with just as many poor people doing those same things.

In my own opinion, I don't think death gives life meaning, I think it only gives life a sense of urgency. I think if people knew they were going to live forever, I think they would be more relaxed, happier, etc. Sure, people would get bored with things after awhile, but there would always be new things to discover. As long as things continue to change, there would be opportunity for something new.

The area I live in have a lot of very rich people and some (I admit not all of them), have these sex parties, wife swaps, high divorce rates, a lot of drugs and so on. ?

Do any of these people require a pool cleaner?

Why did life florish at the begin with? That kind of disturbs me that it came to be, then it goes. This kind of logic doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing I find worth it is how the ultimate aesthetics is the erotic health of living for which I would have loved having eternity with. I find that what we assume to be boring is the exspelled energy and fatigue. But when energy is replaced after sleeping and such, we have the same interest to do what has been done before. So bordom to me is an excuse. Not what really would bother us for eternity. Not in my mind yet anyway. It is the thought that there will not be an eternity of living the idea life that really depresses the hell out of me.

Have anyone of you read Isaac Asimov’s books the Foundation and the Robot series?

There you will see how a robotized society and long life likely would affect people. It's really intriguing.