Goodbye Jesus

'extraterrestrial Hypothesis' Is Now Public Operative Explanation For Some Ufos In France, U.k. And China

Soulless49er

But here's a funny observation (and faulty of course):

since a/a = 1, then 0/0 = 1?

Likewise, since infinity and zero are conceptually recipricals and anything multiplied by it's reciprical = 1, then (∞ x 0) = 1?

So if 0 = 1/∞ then 1/0 = 1/1 divided by 1/∞ = 1/1 * ∞/1 = ∞;

Like Ouroborus stated, it is faulty. This is because infinity and zero are not real numbers.

So using zero is faulty in this case because it is not a number? What about other cases of using zeros? Wouldn't 0 * 1 = 0 be faulty since 0 is just a concept? And does a number, by definition, have to be useful to facilitate the solving of equations? If it's just a concept, why can't you conceptualize division by zero as another way of saying infinity?

I can see where you're going with this, but infinity is best observed through limits. Because infinity is not a single number (there is always something higher than it) it can be instead viewed as an unbounded limit. Specifically, as lim a->0+ (from the right) of b/a -> +∞. This distinction is made because ordinary algebraic arguments don't work with 0 as the divisor because no number multiplied by 0 can give anything but 0. The case that you said 0 * 1 = 0 is a valid statement though.

I found this explanation to be pretty intuitive from Wikipedia:

"There is another way, however, to explain the division: if we want to find out how many people, who are satisfied with half an apple, can we satisfy by dividing up one apple, we divide 1 by 0.5. The answer is 2. Similarly, if we want to know how many people, who are satisfied with nothing, can we satisfy with 1 apple, we divide 1 by 0. The answer is infinite; we can satisfy infinite people, that are satisfied with nothing, with 1 apple."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MagickMonkey

• Legion

• Overcame Faith

• Soulless49er

But here's a funny observation (and faulty of course):

since a/a = 1, then 0/0 = 1?

Likewise, since infinity and zero are conceptually recipricals and anything multiplied by it's reciprical = 1, then (∞ x 0) = 1?

So if 0 = 1/∞ then 1/0 = 1/1 divided by 1/∞ = 1/1 * ∞/1 = ∞;

Like Ouroborus stated, it is faulty. This is because infinity and zero are not real numbers.

So using zero is faulty in this case because it is not a number? What about other cases of using zeros? Wouldn't 0 * 1 = 0 be faulty since 0 is just a concept? And does a number, by definition, have to be useful to facilitate the solving of equations? If it's just a concept, why can't you conceptualize division by zero as another way of saying infinity?

I can see where you're going with this, but infinity is best observed through limits. Because infinity is not a single number (there is always something higher than it) it can be instead viewed as an unbounded limit. Specifically, as lim a->0+ (from the right) of b/a -> +∞. This distinction is made because ordinary algebraic arguments don't work with 0 as the divisor because no number multiplied by 0 can give anything but 0. The case that you said 0 * 1 = 0 is a valid statement though.

I found this explanation to be pretty intuitive from Wikipedia:

"There is another way, however, to explain the division: if we want to find out how many people, who are satisfied with half an apple, can we satisfy by dividing up one apple, we divide 1 by 0.5. The answer is 2. Similarly, if we want to know how many people, who are satisfied with nothing, can we satisfy with 1 apple, we divide 1 by 0. The answer is infinite; we can satisfy infinite people, that are satisfied with nothing, with 1 apple."

I can understand how division by zero is useless for algebra just as multiplication by infinity is useless. It still seems as though there is a good case for viewing division by zero as infinity, even if such a view has very little use.

The case that you said 0 * 1 = 0 is a valid statement though.

Oh yeah, I know this is obviously a valid statement. I was using it for rhetorical purposes to counter the "zero is just a concept" argument.

Michio Kaku in a nutshell:

It should be reasonable to assume that a civilization 1,000 years or even 1,000,000 years .... etc ahead of us may potentially be experimenting with laws of physics we have not uncovered yet. Shortcuts in the fabric of time and space may be available to these civilizations and we could be witness to their prowess :)

It may seem a reasonable assumption to him but for others it is wild speculation.

Reboot in a nutshell:

99.9% of humans are navel-gazing life forms whose earth-centric top-of-the-food chain perspective prevents them from accepting any higher sentience present in our galactic sector that may be interested in us (Human burgers yum). This denial is a natural self-defense mechanism that allows them to pursue day-to-day activities without allocating precious ressources to uncover entities that they could never dream of having any control over anyways LOL

:lmao:

Michio Kaku in a nutshell:

It should be reasonable to assume that a civilization 1,000 years or even 1,000,000 years .... etc ahead of us may potentially be experimenting with laws of physics we have not uncovered yet. Shortcuts in the fabric of time and space may be available to these civilizations and we could be witness to their prowess :)

It may seem a reasonable assumption to him but for others it is wild speculation.

Reboot in a nutshell:

99.9% of humans are navel-gazing life forms whose earth-centric top-of-the-food chain perspective prevents them from accepting any higher sentience present in our galactic sector that may be interested in us (Human burgers yum). This denial is a natural self-defense mechanism that allows them to pursue day-to-day activities without allocating precious ressources to uncover entities that they could never dream of having any control over anyways LOL

:lmao:

Yeah, I know. I guess all my scepticism about aliens visiting earth stems from me liking hamburgers and not wanting aliens to eat me. :grin:

grey_1.jpg

I want to believe

• Super Moderator

I don't know, Legion. He looks like he might have been born in Kenya.

Chris, 2012 - Kosmic Kindergarten :woohoo:

grey_1.jpg

I want to believe

Got to admit, he does look hungry :) (yum ! human burgers)

... on a more insane note (relatively speaking), take a look at this !

http://douglastrumbull.com/videos

Douglas Trumbull (2001 space odyssey, close encounters... etc.) is spending a fortune trying to catch these nasties ;). Saw him on other interviews and sincerely thinks that there is something to this phenomena.

IMHO, the fact that the U.K., France, Chile, Peru, Brazil... etc. are now proposing the ETH (extra-terrestrial hypothesis) as a credible explanation... while the U.S. shut down project blue book 40 years ago (1969) and refuses to address the subject is significant.

Is the U.S. pretentious enough to declare that the rest of the planet is suffering from a mental disorder ? Or is the U.S. protecting its fundamentalist christian population (evangelists) from damaging controversial ideas ?

By the way, here is a fundamentalist perception of ufo's LOL

http://eventsfinal.b...-available.html

Ufo's from hell LOLOL