Goodbye Jesus

Going To Hell

Guest biscuit

Guest Furball

Modern science is finding out that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, sensations and experiences. If the brain is responsible for everything, what need is there for a soul? It is superfluous.

Look at the simplest, most logical and most obvious answer. There is no soul. There is no spirit. When you die, your brain dies and oblivion follows.

There is no Hell. It is a mythical story to scare the shit out of anyone who does not conform.

A great post ES. I think religionists confuse the brain for a soul. Personally i don't believe in a soul or spirit. An informative post, thank you for posting it. I also pm'd you. -Scott

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

According to some experts, there has been around 100 billion humans beings on Earth. The idea that there is a magic book in Heaven with all these peoples names in it, to be read out on "Judgement day" seems very far fetched.

As does the idea that a good god would create those 100 billion soul and then send them to Hell

And finally, one book of the NT (which just failed to make the grade) has Jesus telling St Peter , that secretly He is going to let everyone into Heaven...no wonder the church voted that book out 

No Christians fear Islamic Hell, nor vice versa

The Bible is filled with stuff we know that are not true, so why should we fear a book that is filled with nonsense  

Guest Furball

According to some experts, there has been around 100 billion humans beings on Earth. The idea that there is a magic book in Heaven with all these peoples names in it, to be read out on "Judgement day" seems very far fetched.

As does the idea that a good god would create those 100 billion soul and then send them to Hell

And finally, one book of the NT (which just failed to make the grade) has Jesus telling St Peter , that secretly He is going to let everyone into Heaven...no wonder the church voted that book out 

The Bible is filled with stuff we know that are not true, so why should we fear a book that is filled with nonsense  

I have thought about that before. It is going to take months to sort out and judge 1 single person, let alone billions. How is jesus going to judge billions of people in 1 single day?

In order to get people to fear judgement, i have read that jesus is going to read everyone's personal sins out loud so the entire universe and everyone in it will know what they did. 

Fictional Non Sense

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I have thought about that before. It is going to take months to sort out and judge 1 single person, let alone billions. How is jesus going to judge billions of people in 1 single day?

In order to get people to fear judgement, i have read that jesus is going to read everyone's personal sins out loud so the entire universe and everyone in it will know what they did. 

Fictional Non Sense

Not to mention how incredibly boring it would be to wait your turn on the docket. Shit, its an all day affair when there's 20 people ahead of you in traffic court. Can you imagine having billions of people ahead of you being judged for their entire lifetimes? That whole ordeal will probably be an eternity in and of itself. Literally.

• Like 2

The very idea that a god, who is all knowing, all powerful and omnipresent would create hell or allow it to exist is absolutely ridiculous. How could a god such as that ever be considered "good"? Instead, he would be cruel beyond belief to anyone, except for people like me when I was still brainwashed. That's how powerful brainwashing is: One cannot see obvious fallacies no matter how intelligent he or she is. Anyone and everyone is potentially vulnerable to it without the use of facts and logic. Faith is a killer. Rip

I like that Valerie Tarico article. Now I wouldn't want to be doing the same thing for eternity--worshipping god, which isn't anything I want to do at all--but I wouldn't mind spending eternity trying new things I never got to do on earth. Use your imagination, Valerie; forever isn't so bad if you're exploring and learning and meeting (tons!) of new people.

But yeah. The Christian version of heaven is absolute crap. I remember even when I was a little kid, I felt unhappy when my dad talked about heaven, because he said all we would be doing is singing to god, and we would be incredibly happy from the sheer joy of doing this from our new and sinless hearts. I thought, "Well I'm sure I'll be happy if you say so, and I like to sing, but I'm not sure I want to do it every minute forever." And then later I read that there is no marriage in heaven (no sex either, then. Damn.). So god matches you up with your soul-mate, but then you can't be with that person in the same way in heaven, however much you want to, because you'll be too busy praising god? And you won't even want to, because god is so perfect you can't possibly want to do anything but worship him. Figured it sounded like mind control.

Did the idea of heaven scare anyone else even when they were Christian? Gosh, that was terrifying. Not to mention I'm unspeakably relieved to discover there probably are not ordinary people being tortured for eternity.

• Like 1

One of my daughters had panic attacks thinking of heaven/eternity when she was a kid.

I like that Valerie Tarico article. Now I wouldn't want to be doing the same thing for eternity--worshipping god, which isn't anything I want to do at all--but I wouldn't mind spending eternity trying new things I never got to do on earth. Use your imagination, Valerie; forever isn't so bad if you're exploring and learning and meeting (tons!) of new people.

But yeah. The Christian version of heaven is absolute crap. I remember even when I was a little kid, I felt unhappy when my dad talked about heaven, because he said all we would be doing is singing to god, and we would be incredibly happy from the sheer joy of doing this from our new and sinless hearts. I thought, "Well I'm sure I'll be happy if you say so, and I like to sing, but I'm not sure I want to do it every minute forever." And then later I read that there is no marriage in heaven (no sex either, then. Damn.). So god matches you up with your soul-mate, but then you can't be with that person in the same way in heaven, however much you want to, because you'll be too busy praising god? And you won't even want to, because god is so perfect you can't possibly want to do anything but worship him. Figured it sounded like mind control.

Did the idea of heaven scare anyone else even when they were Christian? Gosh, that was terrifying. Not to mention I'm unspeakably relieved to discover there probably are not ordinary people being tortured for eternity.

I vaguely remember thinking something along the lines of "I'm really supposed to look forward to that?" when I learned what the concept of heaven was. I'll take the Shinto concept of hell any day of the week over that, at least I would have some autonomy there...

Yes, it scared me. That's why I invented my own version where each person would enjoy the heaven that he or she desired. Only later did it dawn on me that if God were anything like the kill-joy dick-tator described in the bible, there would be no relief from its demands.

Yes, it scared me. That's why I invented my own version where each person would enjoy the heaven that he or she desired. Only later did it dawn on me that if God were anything like the kill-joy dick-tator described in the bible, there would be no relief from its demands.

Eternity is too long a time span and would drive even a god mad. Even if you did everything, you would do it over and over again forever.  I wouldn't mind a few extra thousand years to explore the Universe, but that's about it. If I reincarnate, I think in my next life I'll help colonize Mars. But I won't remember my previous life. Didn't Jesus tell his followers that in order to gain eternal life, they had to be reborn as a little child? Maybe eternal, dreamless "sleep" really is the best option. Peaceful.

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind sleeping for a few thousand years. :) Maybe I could have some funny dreams to laugh at later. (It's not peaceful if you aren't experiencing it.)

Hey Thackerie, I did the same thing haha. Though I didn't discover he is a dictator until awhile after de-converting.

Yes.  I realized that I could never be "happy" in a heaven knowing that there are potentially billions of human souls suffering in a hell.  Especially when a primary, underlying reason why many of those souls did not believe Jesus was the son of God and died for their sins and were sent to hell would be due to geography (where they were born), who their parents were, and/or what era of history they lived in.  Because I could easily see how the circumstances in which I was born and raised in a Christian context led to why I believed what I believed and had a specific theological viewpoint on who Jesus was.  And if I had been born in another part of the world and raised by my same parents but in a different faith or belief system, I honestly could not see myself converting to Christianity later in life.  So in other words, that could easily be me being sent off to hell - no matter what type of moral, humble, charitable, compassionate life I led - because I did not believe the right way. 

Which is more frightening, the Christian Hell or Heaven? According to the NT, there is no food or drink in Heaven, because there is no hunger or thirst. There is no Free Will because you can't sin or even ask to leave. There is no fatigue so no sleep. No marriage or sex in Heaven. Just an eternity prostrate before The Great White Throne singing hymns of praise to a cruel and vengeful god. If I had to choose, I would rather burn in Hell.

Valerie Tarico has a great article describing why Heaven would be worse than Hell.

10 Reasons Popular Versions of Christian Heaven Would be Hell

The no free will in heaven always threw me off. Here is why.

If heaven doesn't have free will, how and why did Luicie rebel against God? That was one of those questions that never got answered when i was a question. If it was different rules then, that tells me that the state in heaven can change at the whim of God. I am so glad i dont believe any of this hogwash anymore. It is enough to drive someone crazy, and probably has.

And if Heaven has no free will then that means "no free will" is the perfect condition and God was being a

jerk for creating free will in the first place.  That makes God evil and responsible for all the suffering that has

ever or will ever exist including all the torment everyone experiences in Hell.  God should have skipped 

creating Earth and gone strait to making perfect beings in the perfect existence of heaven.

This is the same thing I keep coming back to about free will, and I posted this on another thread.  Because the way I see it, there are human souls who never made a free-will choice to believe that Jesus died for their sins and are in heaven, and these souls enter heaven on a constant basis.  This is taking into consideration the position that human life begins at the point of conception, and that there is an "age of accountability" to be reached by a human in order to fully comprehend and understand God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.  The souls of fetuses, infants, or young children who die, by most Christian perspectives, go to heaven.  Seems that if Christianity were true and if God requires humans to make a free-will choice to believe that Jesus died for their sins to in order to enter heaven, then from the time of conception until the age of accountability (let's say the age of 10, for example), it should be impossible for any human to die.  Once God "creates" a human, that human should not die until he or she reaches the age of 10 (or whatever the age of accountability would be)...IF free will is a mandatory requirement for entry into heaven.

Then, there are humans who do reach an accountable age or adulthood but who may have been born with mental deficiencies, and this can prevent him/her from understanding or comprehending the who/what/why of religions in general, and Jesus in particular.  When these humans die, I think by most Christians perspectives, their souls will go to heaven.  But as with the young, these humans are not self-aware to the point of making a free-will choice to believe Jesus died for their sins. 

So if God is essentially allowing, on a constant basis, SOME human souls to enter heaven without the need to make a free-will choice about Jesus...why not just allow this for everyone?  Why would God not just create everyone's soul directly in heaven in the first place?  If earth is supposedly this fallen, corrupt world after Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, then why not just bypass earth and our existence in human bodies altogether?  Especially when God is essentially sending some human souls directly to heaven by default, anyway?

• Like 1