Goodbye Jesus

Unbelievable!

Brother Jeff

From http://www.religionisbullshit.org/2006/09/unbelievable.html:

One of the classes I am taking out at the University of Alaska Anchorage this semester is "The Rise of Civilization". We are currently studying human evolution. I could not believe what I heard in class today. Before she launched into her lecture, my professor gave a disclaimer concerning evolution. I don't remember her exact words because I was so amazed at the time by what I was hearing, but she basically said that she didn't want anyone (meaning religious folks) to be uncomfortable, but that this (human evolution) is how anthropologists (and all scientists, for that matter) view human origins. That such a disclaimer should have to be made is, in my mind, a sad state of affairs. Why, in this country, are we allowing a bunch of ignorant religious fanatics to bully us into having to apologize whenever we present the DEMONSTRABLE REALITY of human evolution? Evolution is not something that is up for debate or that is questionable. It is a reality for which the evidence is OVERWHELMING. I'm sure the university required my professor to make her disclaimer to placate religious people, but in my mind, she should have just launched into her lecture and not worried about offending (often willfully) ignorant people. Religion has always been the enemy of science and of scientific progress, and what I witnessed today in the classroom was indeed a sad event. I think we all - those of us on both sides of the fence - need to WAKE UP. Religious people need to WAKE UP and realize that their religious myths do NOT equal REALITY. Those of us who live in the REAL world need to WAKE UP and realize that placating religious people and attempting to appease them by apologizing for realities that might offend them is not the way to go. Religion needs to be driven as far away from the classroom as it possibly can be for the good of us all. And just for the record, as should be obvious, no I do NOT believe that ignorance-laced beliefs about the nature of reality deserve respect, nor do I believe that willfully and stubbornly ignorant religious people deserve respect. End of rant.

Evolution is not something that is up for debate or that is questionable.

It better be or else it isn't science, but dogma. The foundational assertions regarding the Theory are overwhelmingly evidential, sure, but that doesn't mean that there aren't parts of the theory which aren't debated or questioned.

Bro. Jeff- longtimenoread!

Welcome back!

Bro. Jeff- longtimenoread!

Welcome back!

Thanks! Glory!

As far as I am concerned religion has no grounds for fact (it is only fiction/ faith based).

Science has lots of physical proof and people should be more open minded to it.

I think your problem is in the disclaimer.

Seems like everything has to have a darn disclaimer on it.

Everyone wants to break everything into groups.

Race, Religion, Rich , poor, Good, Bad and even the food groups (my favorite).

I am sure your teacher was only doing what she had to do to cover her ass for a discrimination law suit.

To many people get so butt hurt if someone says the wrong thing.

People should accept that not everyone is the same but should keep their minds open to the fact that they may be wrong in their way of thinking.

I like to always call myself a dumb ass so no one will be disappointed with me.

Why, in this country, are we allowing a bunch of ignorant religious fanatics to bully us into having to apologize whenever we present the DEMONSTRABLE REALITY of human evolution?
Damn straight! It's totally bullshit that science has to be bullied into being mousy about theories that make people uncomfortable.

It's just so incredible and EMBARRASSING that we live in a country where grown adults think that this is necessary. That fact that science is even expected to bow to the sensativities of the religious is pure bullshit! There's no place for that in science!

Evolution is not something that is up for debate or that is questionable. It is a reality for which the evidence is OVERWHELMING.
Well it's not beyond question, but it is overwhelming. So much so that we shouldn't really be having to talk about it as if it were controversial.

People expect teachers to make speeches like this at the beginning of the science curriculum, because they think it's fair to pat the creationists on the ass and award them with an undue sense of legitimacy. I would argue that singling out evolution as a controversial theory is incredibly UNfair! It's a slap in the face to the methodology of science to expect discredited, crackpot theories to share equal time in the classroom.

What next? Equal time between chemistry and alchemy? The periodic table versus the four elements? Are we going to have Kevin Trudaeu speak at colleges to medical students?

The main purpose of a science curriculum, above all else, is to teach students the scientific method, and allowing bullshit into the classroom, even in the form of a brief disclaimer, is to teach the fundamentals of science with a forked tongue.

Mr. Neil I think that you are very well spoken. And Brother Jeff I agree that it is unbelievable. It's as if evolutionary biologists must say something to the effect, "We apologize for acknowledging our true ancestry, but here is what we believe has transpired."

The fact is when many Christians here the word "evolution" they don't think of a process, they think "monkey." It offends their sensibilities. It offends them. Their delicate egos can't take it. They become angry and prepared to do violence. In short they begin to act just like the monkeys they are supposedly unrelated to. Bless their hearts.

And then the start throwing their feces.

I already wrote it in another thread, but what the heck...

...Welcome back from me too, goo' ol' Bro Jeff! :)

I don't have anything to say related to the main topic, but I thought I'd just say welcome back to Brother Jeff and Neil.

It's good to see you guys around. :woohoo:

I don't have anything to say related to the main topic, but I thought I'd just say welcome back to Brother Jeff and Neil.

It's good to see you guys around. :woohoo:

Ditto that! Glorah!

The fact is when many Christians here the word "evolution" they don't think of a process, they think "monkey." It offends their sensibilities. It offends them. Their delicate egos can't take it. They become angry and prepared to do violence. In short they begin to act just like the monkeys they are supposedly unrelated to. Bless their hearts.

I hear that. In fact, my wife used to have a similar reaction, but she is having to learn a lot about evolution for her degree in biology education. In just a couple of weeks covering the basics of evolution, I have noticed a major shift in her opinion regarding the theory. I can only wait to see how much her mind changes when she has to spend a whole semester studying evolution.

I hear that. In fact, my wife used to have a similar reaction, but she is having to learn a lot about evolution for her degree in biology education. In just a couple of weeks covering the basics of evolution, I have noticed a major shift in her opinion regarding the theory. I can only wait to see how much her mind changes when she has to spend a whole semester studying evolution.

Hey there LoR. I am very much interested in seeing how the situation with your wife progresses. I am hoping that you will keep us informed on that front. How has her opinion shifted? Accepting evolution wasn't the only thing that gave me cause to abondon my faith, but it did play a significant role in the process.

By the way, will someone please tell me how to quote someone without quoting the whole post? My ignorant self can't figure it out.

By the way, will someone please tell me how to quote someone without quoting the whole post? My ignorant self can't figure it out.

Just manually delete all the stuff you don't want. Make sure you leave in the header and footer:

(quote name='Legion Regalis' date='Sep 11 2006, 01:15 PM' post='217694')

(/quote)

Just manually delete all the stuff you don't want. Make sure you leave in the header and footer:

(quote name='Legion Regalis' date='Sep 11 2006, 01:15 PM' post='217694')

(/quote)

Thank you Darkside. I'll be sure and try it... next time.

I enrolled in a biological anthropology night class at the local community college and the instructor's creation disclaimer seemed to be made to discourage any Christians present from taking over the class discussion. His disclaimer was that we wouldn't be discussing creationism, period, and that anyone who wanted to study creation should take the social anthropology course, which covers "the Biblical and other creation myths." :clap:

I'm taking this class just for fun, but when I took a similar course as an undergrad 11 years ago the instructor aparently didn't feel the need to even mention creationism. I've been in fundy land for most of the intervening 11 years; did the whole country regress with me or what?

Thanks for the welcome back, everybody! Glory!

I enrolled in a biological anthropology night class at the local community college and the instructor's creation disclaimer seemed to be made to discourage any Christians present from taking over the class discussion. His disclaimer was that we wouldn't be discussing creationism, period, and that anyone who wanted to study creation should take the social anthropology course, which covers "the Biblical and other creation myths." :clap:

I'm taking this class just for fun, but when I took a similar course as an undergrad 11 years ago the instructor aparently didn't feel the need to even mention creationism. I've been in fundy land for most of the intervening 11 years; did the whole country regress with me or what?

I hope that you are enjoying the class Darkside. "Biological anthropology" sounds interesting.

As for the regression, I don't know. It sometimes depresses me to think of how many people in the U.S. can't seem to bring themselves to acknowledge the basics of evolution. For me it was a very easy thing to accept. Oh well, I trust that things will work themselves out. I know though that if and when my nephews come to me and ask about these things I will shoot straight with them.

And from me as well. Good to see you on the boards again Brother Jeff.

Cheers

Bronwyn

Yes! Welcome back, Jeff!

...and Neil

And from me as well. Good to see you on the boards again Brother Jeff.

Cheers

Bronwyn

Thanks, Bronwyn! Glory!

Yes! Welcome back, Jeff!

...and Neil

Thanks, Mr. Neil! Glory!

Yes! Welcome back, Jeff!

...and Neil

Darn it, I didn't yet welcome you back, did I Neil?

Welcome back to you too! :3:

Oh boy! Attention! :grin:

:wicked:

Cute keyhole avatar BTW ;)