Living In Lala Land

Open_Minded

:ugh: Living in LaLa Land

Where:

• Up is down
  • Right is Left
  • God has an ego - a huge ego…
  • The Kingdom of Heaven is limited to a chosen few
  • Eternal punishment awaits the greatest majority of the human population (but God loves them anyway)
  • A violent blood sacrifice is needed for "salvation" (and then we're still all prisoners to sin anyway)
  • Suffering for the sake of suffering is a good thing
  • God is in control of everything - but the Devil waits in the shadows to destroy my soul.
  • God creates gays and then hates them.
  • God creates Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Native Americans, Agnostics, Atheists, and a million other people of different belief systems and then sends them to hell anyway (but he loves them as he sends tortures them).

It's 2006 - and huge numbers of people still think this way - sometimes I feel as though I'm living in LaLa land. :ugh:

So, do you believe, then, that everyone will go to Heaven?

[*]Eternal punishment awaits the greatest majority of the human population (but God loves them anyway)

J.S. or Scott How was it that you got that everyone will go to heaven from the above quote?

Call me Scott.

I got that beause it seemed like there was a bit of sarcasm in there. By that, it seems he doesn't agree with the doctrine of eternal hell.

Call me Scott.

I got that beause it seemed like there was a bit of sarcasm in there. By that, it seems he doesn't agree with the doctrine of eternal hell.

You are correct, Scott. I don't believe in the doctrine of eternal hell.

I don't believe God has an ego .... So the idea of "punishment" of any kind is sort of moot - don't you think?

Well, I do believe in eternal hell. Maybe we should have a conversation on this doctrine and address the verses that people use to uphold the eternal hell doctrine. I've heard of people not believing in eternal punishment, but I never understood why when the Scriptures seem to talk so much about it.

:ugh: Living in LaLa Land

Where:

• Up is down
  • Right is Left
  • God has an ego - a huge ego…
  • The Kingdom of Heaven is limited to a chosen few
  • Eternal punishment awaits the greatest majority of the human population (but God loves them anyway)
  • A violent blood sacrifice is needed for "salvation" (and then we're still all prisoners to sin anyway)
  • Suffering for the sake of suffering is a good thing
  • God is in control of everything - but the Devil waits in the shadows to destroy my soul.
  • God creates gays and then hates them.
  • God creates Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Native Americans, Agnostics, Atheists, and a million other people of different belief systems and then sends them to hell anyway (but he loves them as he sends tortures them).

It's 2006 - and huge numbers of people still think this way - sometimes I feel as though I'm living in LaLa land. :ugh:

Oh... but OM you are blinded by the god of this world (being reason and rationality), that you do not understanding through the eyes of faith that even though God seems very,very human in almost all aspects like anger, jealousy, pettiness, etc, we cannot apply our minds to him because in fact up is down in heaven. "As far as the heavens are above the earth, so are my thoughts above your thoughts, and my ways above your ways."

You see, even though God is a superperson for all intents and purposes, he's not when logic no longer applies (i.e., you are confronted with a theological contradiction). Inconsistency is answered by Divinity. I'm shocked you don't know this, having studying the Bible as you have. Are you sure you've been born again?

:wicked:

(Feeling a bit cynical tonight?)

Well, I do believe in eternal hell. Maybe we should have a conversation on this doctrine and address the verses that people use to uphold the eternal hell doctrine. I've heard of people not believing in eternal punishment, but I never understood why when the Scriptures seem to talk so much about it.

Scott ... I'm very willing to have a conversation about the doctrine of eternal punishment, but I will only have this conversation with you if you are willing to follow ONE rule. The rule is:

No quoting scripture.

The doctrine of eternal punishment stands or falls on good old-common sense. If you cannot have a conversation about the doctrine of eternal punishment without quoting the scriptures - you need to back out now. Because in any conversation with me, I will expect you to do something unthinkable - I'll expect you to think for yourself - I'll expect you to use the brain you were created with.

Oh... but OM you are blinded by the god of this world (being reason and rationality), that you do not understanding through the eyes of faith that even though God seems very,very human in almost all aspects like anger, jealousy, pettiness, etc, we cannot apply our minds to him because in fact up is down in heaven. "As far as the heavens are above the earth, so are my thoughts above your thoughts, and my ways above your ways."

You see, even though God is a superperson for all intents and purposes, he's not when logic no longer applies (i.e., you are confronted with a theological contradiction). Inconsistency is answered by Divinity. I'm shocked you don't know this, having studying the Bible as you have. Are you sure you've been born again?

Thank you Antlerman - your sense of humor is welcome - I'm feeling a bit cynical myself tonight.

Inconsistency is answered by Divinity.

And I thought it was through divine revelation. We need to become divine to understand all the inconsistencies now? Heck, I'm divine, but I still don't understand... No, wait, it is my wife that is divine... no scratch that... eh... forget it...

What do you think of the Bible, Open_Minded? Do you believe it to be the Word of God? That's why I wanted to know why you don't believe in Hell. It seems the Bible is very clear on the subject. What do you think?

Universalist Christians Opinions on Hell

http://www.tentmaker.org/smf/index.php?PHP...mp;topic=2288.0

*hands OM his official Lalaland ID card*

So, do you believe, then, that everyone will go to Heaven?

No one will go to a place that doesn't exist.

And just to have pointed it out, there's no hell either.

*snort*

jebus cultists with their cheap copies of heathen originals...

What do you think of the Bible, Open_Minded? Do you believe it to be the Word of God?

Can a book so full of lies and bullshit and unspeakable crimes against humanity be the "revealed word" of any deity?

Only if said deity is an evil monster.

Go figure.

That's why I wanted to know why you don't believe in Hell. It seems the Bible is very clear on the subject. What do you think?

Then cite me the plethora of scripture from the Old Testament which supports the notion of hell as place of punishment.

What do you think of the Bible, Open_Minded? Do you believe it to be the Word of God? That's why I wanted to know why you don't believe in Hell. It seems the Bible is very clear on the subject. What do you think?

Clear on the subject? Are you kidding? Hell is hugely controversial subject even in the church. There is no standard interpretation. The scriptures give contradictory messages on what Hell is.

I have too much respect for the INFINITE to assume it can be confined to ANY book.

In LaLa Land we can take the Bible and make it say anything we want. Then we can hate people who don't see things the way we do because the "WORD of GOD" gives us permission to do so.

1. Literalist Muslims believe they have the "WORD of GOD" in the Qur'an - What do you think of the Qur'an?
  2. Literalist Mormans believe they have the "WORD of GOD" in the Book of Mormon - What do you think of the Book of Mormon?
  3. Literalist Hindus believe they have the "WORD of GOD" in the Vedas - What do you think of the Vedas?

Universalist Christians Opinions on Hell

http://www.tentmaker.org/smf/index.php?PHP...mp;topic=2288.0

Thanks Taylor - that was an interesting read. Many, many universalist Christians do feel that way - but I go a step further - if God has no ego - then the idea of "punishment" from God is moot.

*hands OM his official Lalaland ID card*
Thanks, Thurisaz.

I'm a new resident here - my parents left LaLa Land ages ago and immigrated to the real world. We children were raised in reality. Occasionally Mom and Dad would take us back to LaLa Land to visit a few relatives who lived in the rural areas. Since our visits to these sparcely populated areas of LaLa Land were short in duration, and since I saw very few other people there, I truly grew up to believe that LaLa Land was loosing population to the real world.

Now - after a few months on this board - with regular visits from residents of LaLa Land - I'm beginning to wonder if the real world is loosing population to LaLa Land.

Then cite me the plethora of scripture from the Old Testament which supports the notion of hell as place of punishment.
Great question, Skeptic. And knowing how efficient you are at putting the local residents of LaLa Land through the paces - I look forward (with great anticipation) to Scott's reply.

Although, Scott, with me - this conversation will be about common sense. Does a belief make common sense? Does it hold water in the real world - where we have to acknowledge the existence of people different from ourselves? Does it hold water in the real world - where the rules of science apply? You know - these kinds of pesky little realities that you don't have to worry about in LaLa Land.

Scott, you're full of shit. You DON'T believe in hell and you are TERRIFIED of having any discussion on the subject with anyone, and I can prove it. I've already addressed this issue and you have avoided it like the plague.

See this http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=10491. This thread has been here since Jul 21 2006 and you haven't touched it. I wonder why? :wicked:

My guess is that you will continue to jerk Open_Minded around as you have done everyone else on this board, hiding being scriptures that even YOU don't believe and that you find reprehensible, but you're too dishonest to admit it. :loser:

My guess is that you will continue to jerk Open_Minded around as you have done everyone else on this board, hiding being scriptures that even YOU don't believe and that you find reprehensible, but you're too dishonest to admit it. :loser:

And the fact is you're probably jerking on Open_Minded because you see the 'Christian' symbol under her name and think, well, she's a believer right? I should be able to get her to believe this. She won't be as much of a challenge as the rest of this lot.

Or something closely akin to that.

(Am I remembering wrong that OM is a her?)

Open Minded is a beautiful, intelligent and thoughtful her.

Oh good. I was getting worried my memory was going wonky for a minute there. :phew:

WOW :HappyCry:

Thanks for your support everyone.... And Bruce...

Open Minded is a beautiful, intelligent and thoughtful her.

Thank you indeed - I was moved to tears. :HappyCry:

About Scott ... his response doesn't surprise me. He's ignored Skeptic's query as well. (sigh)

But ... as I said ... it doesn't surprise me - skipping down the road, covering one's ears and singing "La La La, I can't hear you, I can't hear you... La La La..." when asked difficult questions is one of the perks of living in LaLa Land - wouldn't you say. :wicked:

I have too much respect for the INFINITE to assume it can be confined to ANY book.

O_M, ILWYT!!!

O_M, ILWYT!!!

Thanks NotBlinded ;)

Now for Scott... He's on board right now. He's been on board several times today. And - as usual he's ignoring everyone's questions.

I took a look at his profile - here is a quote from his More about Me section:

I am a Christian who is studying apologetics so that I can better defend the Christian faith.

So.... everyone ....how do you think he's doing in his study of "apologetics" and "defending" his "Christian faith"?

Has he answered anyone's questions seriously?

Has he convinced anyone that he knows what he's talking about?

Just wondering how you all feel .... because I'm tired of his baiting and running, myself. :shrug:

Now for Scott... He's on board right now. He's been on board several times today. And - as usual he's ignoring everyone's questions.

I took a look at his profile - here is a quote from his More about Me section:

I am a Christian who is studying apologetics so that I can better defend the Christian faith.

So.... everyone ....how do you think he's doing in his study of "apologetics" and "defending" his "Christian faith"?

Has he answered anyone's questions seriously?

Has he convinced anyone that he knows what he's talking about?

Just wondering how you all feel .... because I'm tired of his baiting and running, myself. :shrug:

To me apologetics is about backpedling, dodging and bullshit in general so I'd say Scott is well on his way. :grin:

mwc

Skeptic, I haven't studied the Old Testament as much as the New Testament. I will look it over, then I will get back to you.

Mr. Grinch, you know nothing of what I believe.

Open_Minded, this is not a challenge and I'm not trying to debate with you right now. But, how can you be a Christian if you don't believe in the Bible as the Word of God? This is a sincere question.

Open_Minded, this is not a challenge and I'm not trying to debate with you right now. But, how can you be a Christian if you don't believe in the Bible as the Word of God? This is a sincere question.

I'll tell you what Scott, you answer my questions sincerely and then I will answer your questions. In case you missed them, my questions are as follows:

[*]Literalist Muslims believe they have the "WORD of GOD" in the Qur'an - What do you think of the Qur'an?

[*]Literalist Mormans believe they have the "WORD of GOD" in the Book of Mormon - What do you think of the Book of Mormon?

[*]Literalist Hindus believe they have the "WORD of GOD" in the Vedas - What do you think of the Vedas?

I look forward to your sincere reply.