Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Want To Believe?

Amelia

Hi Guys,

When it comes to the universe, life purpose, what happens after we die, etc, what do you WANT to believe?

I'm an agnostic, I'm open to anything sure. But ultimately I'd love for there to be a fantastic place we all go to after we die, where we can just have a great time forever without any pain, hurt, suffering, etc. It would be lovely if we were all made for a purpose, and that the creator - whoever that may be - loved us unconditionally, without the judgement and shit.

Oh and I wish that when whist we're here on earth, we get proof beyond a doubt as to why we're here, where we're heading, etc. That would be great.

Then we really could have the view that death isn't really that bad after all, because everybody is reunited. That could probably help us to swallow the hard things that happen, like terminal illness, fatal accidents - death in other words, because we're going to this fantastic place that we know without a doubt exists and we have nothing to fear. And we know we were actually worth something in this huge, freakin' huge universe.

What do you guys WANT to believe?

Cheers,

Amelia :)

If I ever wanted to believe in something, it'd be way too far-fetched...cause that's just how my imagination works.

Really though, I think this life is enough for me. I'd want to believe in nothing.

"Belief" is not necessary.

I believe that after we die life force continues--for awhile--as a dream. In this dream we live our own version of "heaven" before we fade out into non existence.

I base my belief on NDE's. Every person sees something different and comforting to them. To me that is the most logical explanation of the after "life."

While I don't believe in an actual physical realm where everyone sings hymns and praises god for all eternity, I think having a beautiful dream is even better. Because it will be all about you.

It may not be true but that is what I feel.

I would like to believe that the human energy never dies and that ultimately we are reincarnated to live life again as someone different. But then that idea sucks because what if I come back as some homeless person or if I get some horrible painful disease that kills me slowly? Or worse, what if I come back as a fundie? Aaaacckkk!

No, I think I like the idea of "this is it". Once you die, it's all over, so live life to it's fullest right now.

I personally like the idea of nonexistance. Now "me" suddenly being put into a baby would be interesting...a second life, where you have learned from your mistakes and triumphs, and thus stand to have a better life this time around would be interesting.

I would never want to be reincarnated. I am scared I would come back as a battered wife or child. No thanks!

The idea of reincarnation scares the living hell out of me.

to me, the question is phrased a little weirdly.

Genie: "What do you want to believe? it can be anything."

Me: "Uh, let's see, maybe I want to believe I'm a millionaire . . ."

Genie: *Blinks* "Ok, you now believe you're a millionaire. Of course you're actually a pauper."

Me: "No I'm not, I'm not a pauper, I'm a millionaire."

Genie: "No, you're a pauper, here's your bank statement, see? $0.37? That's your balance."

Me: "No, that isn't right. That's not my bank statement. I am a millionaire."

Genie: "Ok, then. my work here is done." (wanders off, whistling.)

Me: "I don't have time to talk to you right now, I've got to go have a word with my bank about this . . . this error."

I want to believe whatever it is that is actually true.

Maybe the question is really, "What do you wish were true, disregarding what you think really is true?"

Well, how about this, deliberately non-specific. Each second you are twice as happy as the second before that, in which you previously thought you could not be any happier without exploding, and yet somehow you are exactly twice as happy now as then, and this goes on for eternity, second after second, tick tock, for ever.

What could possibly go wrong?

Belief is a mental constraint which only prohibits one from thinking in general, and specfically from thinking about the converse of the belief.

Amelia quote:

I'm an agnostic, I'm open to anything sure. But ultimately I'd love for there to be a fantastic place we all go to after we die, where we can just have a great time forever without any pain, hurt, suffering, etc. It would be lovely if we were all made for a purpose, and that the creator - whoever that may be - loved us unconditionally, without the judgement and shit.

Yeah me too! Maybe not forever, but certainly for a good while! I would like a place with loads of good music and loads to do and see.

I must say I am a little surprised by the replies saying they like the idea of no afterlife. This is such a beautiful world I'd like there to be more after we die .. but at the same I accept that I don't know what's gonna happen after death.

I want to believe in some sort of afterlife. The concepts of heaven and hell really don't make a lot of sense to me, but I like the idea of an afterlife because there is so much neat stuff in the world, I kind of want it to continue somehow.

In reality, I'm gonna worry about death when I get there.

Since I know the Xian Hell myth is just a myth, I don't really worry much about the afterlife.

But if I could choose one for myself, it'd be like one big, eternal holodeck, where I could enjoy what I wanted and how I wanted. Or perhaps my ideal afterlife would have many holodeck-like chambers, one for all my loved ones, and all eternity was whatever we wanted it to be.

IF a god did exist, I would like to believe that IT would suffer the same fate that IT imposed on others for wrong doings.

Other than that I just want to believe the facts that we know now(keep it real)

I want to believe that inference can be brought into congruence with causality. That is, I want to believe that understanding can be obtained. That's about it.

Mine is simple. A beer volcano and a stripper factory. FSM Bitch!!!

Hm, I don't really "want to believe" anything; like GodlessWonder, I want to know what's actually be true.

But it'd be nice if there were a lovely afterlife full of great weather, blooming meadows, and sandy beaches, where I could visit my grandparents one more time, and maybe see my dogs again.

I think it'd also be cool if something happened like a human consciousness could travel around the universe for awhile after death, and see stars being born and visit other galaxies and find out whether or not there's life elsewhere in the cosmos. *That* would be cool.

Wishful thinking won't make illusions true, though; so I'd rather know what's really true in any situation, as much as possible.

I would love to be able to reincarnate whenever I wanted to, however many times I wanted to.

I want to believe that anyone can control their reality simply by their thoughts. It would be so cool if we could get everything that we wanted just by thinking about it. I wish the law of attraction was actually true (though I think its false).

I still hold open the possibility of there being life on other planets. The universe is so vast that it would be weird not to even fathom the possibility. So I think there is extra terrestrial life out there...

Well I assumed the question was along the lines of "what do you WISH were true". Well... to keep it relevant to the topic at hand, it would be nice if there was an afterlife paradise, my ideas of which I won't take up space describing.

But yeah, I want my beliefs to be in line with what is true rather than what I wish was. Personally I think death is simply the end. (And BTW, while I can imagine better things than oblivion, I can certainly imagine worse things. I mean, it just doesn't seem so bad to me... I'm not going to know the difference! Like sleeping dreamlessly forever. The idea of HELL is much much scarier to me.)

The idea of future reincarnations always scared me too, LosingMyReligion... I can only imagine what kind of horrible situations you could get born into...

I am not sure I *want* to believe anything because whatever I believe won't change the facts. Whatever happens, will be.

I don't "want" to "believe" anything. I go by my own personal experiences. Due to being ill, I think I may have crossed over and/or "died" briefly many times but somehow got back (my body just started again, maybe).

My favorite saying is "Reality does not exist". It means basically, that what we percieve is "real" is NOT real to someone else. But our ability to communicate influences what other will percieve as "real". So it's like you are adapting to or having parts of other's realities merge with yours while in this physical body. However, life isn't a physical body. It's conscienceness. It can exist in just about *anything*, really.

When I go, I will probably dream for awhile until I realize I am not waking up from the dream. If that scares me, I am sure to wake up, but as someone or something else, and not much recollecction (if any) of my previous life. I think what wakes us is the physical body or brain. But in absense of one working, nothing to wake you. Nature takes it's course, you fade into another life.

I get the feeling I have lived a few times before because I knew I was able to understand a lot of things as a kid that some other kids could not understand. Yet others could. And yet other kids were smarter than me. It's like you forget something but in school or in your new life you are reminded and then it is easier to pick up on because you've done it or experienced it before. Otherwise you don't catch on as quickly if you didn't experience it before.

I don't know what I was or what I did in other lives. But I know I existed, and will always exist in some form. There is no such thing as "death". Death, like Hell, is used to scare people. And it's pretty convincing when people you know suddenly their bodies stop working and you don't see them anymore. But... you probably meet them again years later and never know it, or never see them again, or that spider you squashed... you get the idea. Oh well, on with their next life!

Fear of Death and/or hell though is something some people really use for manipulation. I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of suffering worse than death, which I have also done a few times, due to my illness.

It's my perspective anyway.

Whatever you think it is... that is what it is. It won't be that way for someone that thinks otherwise. Instead, they will experience whatever they think it is.

Thus, reality doesn't exist. Our lives/worlds just collide in the universe and we just exist. Over and over. Some way some how...

It's just natural. No big deal.... Or I would LIKE to think.

So I guess there's the answer to the question.

Hi Guys,

When it comes to the universe, life purpose, what happens after we die, etc, what do you WANT to believe?

I want to believe that life after death would be exactly how the psychic Sylvia Browne describes it in all her books.

I could go on and on about the details if you want me to.

I was reading Sylvia Browne's Novus Spiritus site and then followed a link to "God the Female". She seems to think the only viable answer is a male/female pair in *everything* in the universe which simply is not so. Some types of life forms found on earth, scientists have found are neither male nor female. Some people are born both male and female. Not a "mistake" or a "freak of nature" but just another occurance in nature. Some people never marry or pair up with a partner either way. Nothing wrong with that. They are not "incomplete". They, like some of the life forms the scientists found, don't need another to be happy. Then there's those who are born unable to reproduce. They just weren't meant to, naturally, while others were.

Again, the rather limiting idea of what God is. Regretably, I didn't find time to dig into what she thought the afterlife is like, etc. Maybe another time if I think of it.