Goodbye Jesus

Should I tell my parents I am an atheist?

bluewizard

I'm not sure how to tell my parents about it. I'm moving to college next month and I'd probably want to tell them before I leave. Heck, my brother and my sister already know about it and they still respect me. I know my parents would too but I just don't know how and when to bring up the subject. I'm not that close to my parents, we don't have great discussions. So talking about something this personal with them is a bit akward for me. But they probably have a hunch, well they're smart enough to notice I don't go to church anymore, they stopped asking me too, plus my mom found The Purpose Driven Life and other christian stuff in the garbage the other day. If they ask about it I'll tell them but it's going forward on my behalf that's the hardest. Any tips guys?

Discretion is the better part of valor. If you're parents suspect you've ditched faith, and don't ask you about it, it's because they don't want you to confirm it. There's no law that says you have to tell your parents your metaphysical positions.

If I were you, I would keep quiet about it, but be prepared to answer if they ask you. My canned response for those who might ask and start trying to reconvert me is "I've embraced reason".

My advice is simple while at the same time not distressing to me or you. Don't bring it up, but stand your ground. If someone asks me what religion I am, I tell them honestly and also honestly tell them that I don't like to discuss my religion with people.

While many people will be ask again what exactly it is you beleive or why you stopped/never beleived in what they believe, I just tell them again that I don't talk about religion.

My advice is simple while at the same time not distressing to me or you.  Don't bring it up, but stand your ground. If someone asks me what religion I am, I tell them honestly and also honestly tell them that I don't like to discuss my religion with people.

While many people will be ask again what exactly it is you beleive or why you stopped/never beleived in what they believe, I just tell them again that I don't talk about religion.

I will have a problem with my college admission forms to, I want to put atheist or no religion but I'll probably end up putting Southern Baptists to shut my parents up. On my ACT's, I'm putting no religion or Jewish next time, cause Judaism sounds like a cool religion.

I wouldn't claim a religion I wasn't. Don't they have an agnostic option?

Guest fit2btied
I will have a problem with my college admission forms to, I want to  put atheist or no religion but I'll probably end up putting Southern Baptists to shut my parents up.  On my ACT's, I'm putting no religion or Jewish next time, cause Judaism sounds like a cool religion.

bluewizard, yes not discussing religion is a firm way of avoiding odd questions, but I gotta tell ya kiddo in the south its all about religion, so it is rather difficult at best to avoid some situations that would get the easiest going of peoples back up the wall. But thanks, mayhap I will give that a whack!.......fit :HaHa:

post-505-1120855516_thumb.jpg

Can't you just leave that part of the form blank? Then if your parents notice, just tell them you must have overlooked it and fill it in with Southern Baptist.

If people coerce you into lying, you shouldn't feel bad about doing it.

Can't you just leave that part of the form blank?  Then if your parents notice, just tell them you must have overlooked it and fill it in with Southern Baptist.

If people coerce you into lying, you shouldn't feel bad about doing it.

Ok, I'll just leave it blank.

Discretion is the better part of valor.  If you're parents suspect you've ditched faith, and don't ask you about it, it's because they don't want you to confirm it.  There's no law that says you have to tell your parents your metaphysical positions.

If I were you, I would keep quiet about it, but be prepared to answer if they ask you.  My canned response for those who might ask and start trying to reconvert me is "I've embraced reason".

My advice is simple while at the same time not distressing to me or you. Don't bring it up, but stand your ground. If someone asks me what religion I am, I tell them honestly and also honestly tell them that I don't like to discuss my religion with people.

Yeah, I guess that's what best to do for now. It's funny though because a christian friend I hadn't seen for months approached me the other day and wanted to know how my 'walk with christ' was going. :ugh: Is inexistant an answer? lol I had to explain to him that I didn't believe in god anymore and that as we discover more about us and the universe christianity makes absolutely no sense. He seemed a bit shocked but he didn't try to reconvert me... at least not for now. He'll be praying for me he said, yeah like that 's going to change something. I still respect him though, he's a good person, mislead but respectful. I hope one day he'll embrace reason too instead of living a fairytale. I can't believe he's gone all the way to British Columbia to take bible classes (what a waste of money and time). Anyways, gotta get some coffee, morning has broken!

I tend to regard this situation in rather harsh terms.

If your parents respect you as an individual, and do not simply regard you as a pillar off which to bounce their own religious perspectives and thereby reinforce them, then they should be able to tolerate and understand that you will almost certainly have different perspectives than they, whether they agree with them or no. If not, they are not worth worrying about.

Christopher, I don't know if you know this or not but... That is how most fundies are. I think it comes from a deep rooted insecurity of self that leaves them always needing to proove to the world exactly what they are and believe in.

-Jake

Christopher, I don't know if you know this or not but... That is how most fundies are. I think it comes from a deep rooted insecurity of self that leaves them always needing to proove to the world exactly what they are and believe in.

-Jake

My dad was getting on my nerves last night. He said I'm against abortion because it's killing babies and you'll answer on judgement day. he was saying xtian true believer shit about how you must answer to god and well, we're totaly different. If I was in the situation where I got a girl accidentally pregnant, you damn right I'd want an abortion. But the sad part is, he's brainwashed into xtianity and never questions it at all. I just wish he became like me and left it all an dhe even said Bill Clinton will answer to his maker for his immoral actions. :vent: And the weird part is he's a Democrat. :lmao: What's wrong with him?

I will have a problem with my college admission forms to, I want to  put atheist or no religion but I'll probably end up putting Southern Baptists to shut my parents up.  On my ACT's, I'm putting no religion or Jewish next time, cause Judaism sounds like a cool religion.

I don't remember any of my college admissions forms asking my religion, but of course it would depend what colleges you apply to. The college I ended up going to had a space for religion on the course registration forms but you could leave it blank. I usually left it blank, sometimes put atheist, sometimes put none, and once put rooster worship.

I tend to regard this situation in rather harsh terms.

If your parents respect you as an individual ...

That's a pretty big "if".