Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Camp -- the movie

webmdave

• Admin

A review by SailerFraud

For the past 10 years, I accumulated so many DVDs I hardly have any time to watch them. It's been over a year since I bought a DVD movie, and with such a backlog of DVDs, I thought I wouldn't buy another one in a long time. The movie "Jesus Camp" came out in 2006 and was shown as an independent film at selected theaters and times, and this January it came out on DVD. After covering footage from Jesus Camp, I decided to buy the Jesus Camp DVD. So how does it rate?

I can't really give a numerical rating, grade, or thumbs up for this kind of movie. It is a reality documentary film that gives the straight details on what happens in these evangelical Christian churches, particularly in the mid-western red states. Jesus Camp provides chilling accounts of brainwashing cult tactics and religious fanaticism on the most moldable population, the young children. For those of you who think these fanatics are safely isolated from your community, Jesus Camp provides a double dose of harsh reality. First, young children are being brainwashed into religious fanaticism. Second, the adult Christian cult leaders have a strong influence ruling over the United States of America. They have direct contact and influence with President George W. Bush, which trickles down to the cabinet, Congress, and the Supreme Court, all the way to your state and local community.

haggard2.jpg

Ted Haggard was featured in the movie. A few months later, he dishonorably resigned for sexual liaisons with a male prostitute and drug abuse.

I would recommend Jesus Camp, which you can rent or buy on DVD. I can imagine Jesus Camp II coming out. In the imaginary sequel I concocted, a few years pass by and the young girls go through their teenage puberty stage. They develop womanly physical characteristics, and their middle aged pastors and counselors develop attractions and start secret sexual liaisons with them. The irony in the end is that the stringent sexual morality laws these religious right fanatics helped pass will be their own downfall, as the adulterating adults are arrested and face decades in prison under the severe anti-pedophilia laws.

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/01...camp-movie.html

I really would like to see this now after what you said about it.

If you're really desperate to see the film (that means anyone) and you don't want to waste your cash on it, PM me. I can either arrange to put it up on something like megaupload.com, or some other file-share; or I'm willing to direct connect with AIM, Yahoo, or some other thing of the like. I have it in full as one nice avi file on a clean, virus & spyware-free machine. :ph34r:

I bought it on eBay a few days ago. I can't wait to see it. From the previews, I'm not sure whether it is more sad or scary.

I bought it on eBay a few days ago. I can't wait to see it. From the previews, I'm not sure whether it is more sad or scary.

I'll tell you right now, it's terrifying and tragic. I lived through it. You cannot imagine.

I watched it at a hotel a month or so ago. It was tragic... the speaking in tongues is obviously contrived, and the children are just ... words can't describe. Apart from the speaking in tongues, my friends (and by proxy, sometimes me) were raised this way... same idealologies and ways of getting their points across. Very emotionally manipulative... I remember it well. :(

I went to see it with a friend and two of my own children. Being raised in a fundy Pentecostal home my heart breaks for these kids, there was a few times I cried as a lot of it hit to close to home for me to stay unemotional. It shows exactly how they use and rely upon manipulation and guilt. Kids try to invent things to be sorry about as to be part of the hysteria. One boys cries hysterically because he questioned his faith once. If you watch the other kids in the background or around the one it's focused on, you can see them being one of two things. Either a what in the world..... :huh: .? .. looking around and trying to fit in by doing what those around them do, most likely as to not have their 'faith' questioned by the zealots leading the hysterics. OR They are part of the hysteria. (crying, pleading as if for their lives) The entire thing gave me extreme anxiety sitting thru and these cults are tantamount to childabuse. Perhaps not in the physical sense but most certainly emotionally. The 'right to life' rally also upset me greatly, it's just something you'll have to see to get the complete horror of it.

I will hafta say there was one part with Haggard who said something like "What did YOU do last night!?!?! the entire theater erupted in laughter. (given what he was later charged with) It was almost a comic relief even if it wasn't ment to be.

I wanted to be angry when I saw it. However, it left me with this overwhelming sense of sadness and remorse. I felt so sorry for those kids. :(

It only gave me audio.

I'm wondering if it might be a codec issue???? It worked fine for me.

Rhia, thank you so much for sharing but I am somewhat concerned about you and wonder if it might not be a better idea to PM people the link rather than posting it publicly not that it's any of my business or anything....

I downloaded it, thanks Rhia for posting it! (I used Media Player Classic to watch it, it plays all files.)

Seriously though i'll say this. First, parents DO have a right to teach their kids whatever they want. If they don't agree with the public schools they have every right to pull them out, they have every right to send their kids to camps like this too.

However, just because they have a right to do it doesn't make it right. I felt so bad for these kids, seriously I wanted to take that little blonde haired kid out of there. The one who was so depressed because he actually questioned God. The whole time the kid seemed so depressed and the people there just made him feel worse! You can tell too!

Plus the women preaching to the must of hated herself and this world so much she had to take it out on these kids.

Then there's the whole evolution, abortion, and "righteous government" thing. Kids that young can't comprehend or understand these concepts. What their doing is brainwashing them with no buts about it either. Evolution should be introduced when they have a firm grasp on basic biology (usually 15 or 16 years old) and so should abortion not be introduced until they have a clear grasp about where babies come from and how they got their and why people would not want them their. Don't even get me started on "righteous government."

Thanks for the link, Rhia. Looks like I will have it in an hour. This sounds like the camps we used to go to as teenagers only now they send little children? I can't wait to watch this, with some anxiety I must admit.

There is a counter movement to their "revolution." My word, but certainly there is one afoot. It used to be a secret that they would legislate morality; I guess now they openly say so. So there is legislation in Congress to make it so that when they spew hate speech on the air waves they by law will have to have an opposing view aired as well.

Of course they are hiding behind freedom of speech. The problem, as Author Chris Hedges sees it, if we tolerate intolerance to this extent, one day there will be no tolerance for the tolerant. There are examples of this happening in the past, but I don't even want to get started.

I downloaded it, thanks Rhia for posting it! (I used Media Player Classic to watch it, it plays all files.)

Downloaded it again and used Media Player again. It still was just audio.

I agree, it may be a codec problem. Try playing it in winamp or windows media and seeing if it comes up with an error codec #. If not, try downloading it again.

yeah i had the same problem the first time i tried watching it... if you look at media player while you're playing it, on the right side of the screen you'll likely see the name of the file in red with an exclamation mark in parentheses beside it. right click on it and there will be an option asking for info re: the error. you'll be able to click to an online help desk, which will send you to a place you can get the codec you need to play it right. the whole process takes maybe five minutes.

That's all it took for me, too, to get the movie to work, thank you Rhia and sarahgrace. I'm hyperventillating watching this thing, though, and it just started.

Y'know, I know we can all remember how as children, the magical thinking stages. These poor kids. There should be a law preventing this type of mind control on at least that certain age group, as it's defined through scientific studies, what the exact age range would be for magic thinking. It's so unfair, these kids don't have a chance!

I got it to work by downloading that codec, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm about to watch it now.

Haggard to a kid who preaches:

"Use your cute kid thing, until your 30, and by then you'll have good content."

Freaking snake oil...

That part you just mentioned, is where I found him to be the most-disgusting I've ever seen him. He's teaching a kid to manipulate people!

The boy, well, he's just a child. He doesn't fully understand yet, the same as I didn't at 13; but Haggard? What an ass-bastard!

I know, it's a great piece of honest footage. That kid did a perfect job of "preaching" or of imitating preaching, by the way. And yet the adults downplayed how well he did it. Kids are so open, yes. Which is why they need special protection from this type of mind f@#%.

I flash to the future on this footage of the kids though, and can only hope it's not so hard for them as I know it can be, but I can't help but know some of them are going to be awesome ex-christians one day--armed with all that information.

Heh, Haggard was on the cable news channels last night, including on Jon Stewart. Apparently he's cured of his homosexuality via a three week training course or some such nonsense. While this news aired, they showed the screen shot of Jesus Camp where Haggard is talking to that kid on stage.

I saw the bit on CNN... don't even get me started on how much crap just encompasses being "cured" of homosexuality in 3 weeks! That would be like taking 3 weeks and "curing" me of my heterosexuality.

I guess for now it's a good thing that preacher kid is homeschooled, because sooner or later teens are going to start watching that footage for some reason or another, and he's going to get the shit kicked out of him for saying that he feels "yucky" when he knows someone around him doesn't love Jesus.

Did he think about the two girls doing the documentary? I believe one of them was Jewish. Did she make him feel so horrible?

I also feel bad for that little girl, Rachel. The one that is so effing rabid, and wanting to catch people in a nail parlour to evangelize to them. I hate to say it, but unless someone intervenes and soon, she'll have a hard time acclimating to the real world, and will most likely end up a poor, brow-beaten "submissive" wife to some misogynist asshole.

I guess it's good I downloaded it. I still haven't recieved it. I checked the user's account and the past few days she's been getting negative feedback about not recieving products. She isn't a eBay user anymore, so I think I'm screwed out of the DVD.

The most appalling segment of the whole thing was when the lady preacher instructed the kids that the "Devil" was after them, and that if Harry Potter had lived in the Old Testament days, he would have been put to death. I included a brief clip of it here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ru7Ds2FZpVk