Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Camp -- the movie

webmdave

The most appalling segment of the whole thing was when the lady preacher instructed the kids that the "Devil" was after them, and that if Harry Potter had lived in the Old Testament days, he would have been put to death. I included a brief clip of it here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ru7Ds2FZpVk

That part was fucking hilarous though!

"WARLOCKS CAN'T BE HEROES! YOU DONT MAKE A HERO OUT OF A WARLOCK" Harry Potter is a WIZARD! That women has no clue what she was even saying. Warlocks appear everywhere in videos and fiction and it's great because when someone plays a game with a warlock I run around screaming "WARLOCKS CANT BE HEROS THE DEVIL IS TRYING TO GET AT YOU"

Just saw the movie today. Boy, what can I say? The up-and-coming school teacher within me weeps for those kids. :ugh:

First of all, the emotional manipulation by giving 9 year-olds plastic "fetuses" and saying that one third of their friends aren't there because they were killed by abortion is criminal.

I remember, when I was eleven, this anti-abortion pull-out segment that came out in the local paper on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. My great-great grandmother, one of the churchiest women I knew, wouldn't let me look at it because she thought I was way too young to be exposed to that.

And the children sitting there crying and speaking in tongues? What the hell was that? They should be at a real summer camp playing outdoors, laughing and having fun like normal children.

Thanks Rhia, I just watched it. I jsut feel sad, very very sad. That little Rachel, gads, I'm afraid for the ones that don't get out, but my heart goes out to them if the do as well. They are going to be so angry, hurt and confused.

As a parent, and as an ex childrens minstry worker I just want to go cry.

Very very good. Admittedly, I feel sorry for the kids and want to slap the childeren's pastor with a clue-by-four (*snark* what the hell is a woman doing as a pastor anyway? Guess she's just a caffeteria Christian */snark*), and I do feel sorry for the kids there. Especially the one who said he was having problems believing in the doctorine, kind of kid that will get "love bombed" back to the stone age.

I do like that they presented the people in the documentary as human, not just fanatics, but as full people, as best they could.

I'd say I'd feel sorry for the 9 year-old girl (Levi's sister, can't remember her name atm), the level of indoctrination is staggering.

And at that age, I would have been right there next to them...*shudder* not by my parents' will but my own...

I didn't understand it at the age of 9, considering that's when my indoctrination began.

But at 13 and 14, Levi's age- I was the leader of the pack. I actually had a friend jokingly threaten to drown himself in a toilet after I tried to evangelize him, because I was taught to place more emphasis on the glory of heaven than anything else.

At 13 I wanted to be a missionary.

At 14 I found myself one day on the main stage during a youth conference (one of those huge ones in a stadium) laying hands on people because one of my youth pastors had brought me forward as a "prophet". He believed I could heal and could "discern" better than most adults. (My wiccan mom thinks I'm psychic... I just say that I'm really good at being able to read people through their eyes. Afterall, eyes can convey emotion.)

This progressed, getting bigger and more absurd the older I became. Everything from my demands to be celebate for life at 16 (definitely not that now!) to feeling "called" toward martyrdom at 18.

I left at 19.

So maybe, just maybe, even though these kids are so indoctrinated, they can get out. No one ever thought that I would turn away, and I did it on my own. So there's still a measure of hope that these kids will eventually hear the voice of reason in some way, shape, or form.

Watching that movie was one of the things that helped me in losing my faith.

I just have to say, once more, thanks for that movie, Rhia. I am now able to use it to make clips on youtube. Much appreciated. I am not technically adept so also, thanks for the help on getting it together. Hugs, Xild

I didn't understand it at the age of 9, considering that's when my indoctrination began.

But at 13 and 14, Levi's age- I was the leader of the pack. I actually had a friend jokingly threaten to drown himself in a toilet after I tried to evangelize him, because I was taught to place more emphasis on the glory of heaven than anything else.

At 13 I wanted to be a missionary.

At 14 I found myself one day on the main stage during a youth conference (one of those huge ones in a stadium) laying hands on people because one of my youth pastors had brought me forward as a "prophet". He believed I could heal and could "discern" better than most adults. (My wiccan mom thinks I'm psychic... I just say that I'm really good at being able to read people through their eyes. Afterall, eyes can convey emotion.)

This progressed, getting bigger and more absurd the older I became. Everything from my demands to be celebate for life at 16 (definitely not that now!) to feeling "called" toward martyrdom at 18.

I left at 19.

So maybe, just maybe, even though these kids are so indoctrinated, they can get out. No one ever thought that I would turn away, and I did it on my own. So there's still a measure of hope that these kids will eventually hear the voice of reason in some way, shape, or form.

So...are you... like.... a mutant? :P:huh:

As always, you're welcome. I'm always willing to provide a way for people to gain information. :)

Nah, no mutant powers here.

Although my boyfriend claims that if I was one, my name would be "narco", but that's for a totally different reason. :P

My mom's a bit loopy, so she claims that anything she can't explain through reason is the result of the supernatural, except she's New Age, so it's even weirder.

I think it's something I learned as a kid, I had to be able to make eye-contact and be able to tell if the person was trustworthy immediately. I guess now I've just gotten kinda good at it. People show things with their eyes that they hide from the world. Fears, joys, truth, falsehood, etc.

Part of what bothered me about this film was that it was easy to look in these kids eyes and see confusion, and the willingness to just follow along without really knowing what they were doing. Many of them were faking it, as can be seen in the first 15 minutes of so when that damned pastor was explaining the footage of that girl speaking in tongues. The little girl was clearly just spitting out morphemes, and it's easy to see in her eyes.

Yes, Rhia, the filmmakers of it are genius for getting IN there and getting all that information...you describe. So you know, people who've not seen it are having quite a reaction to it as the movie and clips have gone utterly viral. Hugs, xild

I keep trying to rent that damned movie and every time someone has just taken it!

Luck Mermaid,

If you look through this whole thread, you'll find a link for it.

Hope it still works!

My fiancee and I had much the same reaction as most of you when we watched it; we were shocked, horrified and dumbstruck. I sat slackjaw in front of the TV as I watched the film. I couldn't believe the things that were not only depicted but blatently shown. And to think, these people actually feel like they are doing right by their god.

I was brought to tears many times through the course of the film; it was deeply disturbing. I own this film however I don't think that I will ever watch it again. It is simply too depressing... too powerful.

Thanks for posting the link, Rhia! I just watched this... I kept refering to it as 'scary movie' while IMing to friends... And it really was very scary.

And I felt so sorry for that one girl, though. She said she didn't care that other people thought her crazy because it was her god's judgement that mattered to her, but right after she said that she looked so lonely... And when she approached that lady in the bowling alley? I couldn't believe that!

Neither could I... but I really can't say much in her offense. I was just like her at about that age.

The student activities board on my campus had a screening of it tonight for the students. Not many came (my boyfriend and I convinced a few friends to go with us) - about 40 or so.

Some clapped a bit when that lady started ranting about Harry Potter, but afterward my friends were furious at the whole thing.

Which I guess is a step in the right direction, 'cause once people know, they may feel the need to do something.

We're expecting this movie via Netflix and I can't wait to watch it.

I am watching the movie right now.... it is totally freaking me out. Yikes...

I've seen it. Okay, um, that woman is nuts. I think the directors were mean, they did not play fair. It was just cruel some of the stuff they did. That kid who admitted watching Harry Potter is gonna be in so much shit when his mom finds out. I think the best shot is when Fischer has the giant scythe and is talking about how great the children's props are.

Fortunately, my religious indoctrination was neither evengelical nor long-suffering. I left full-time hebrew school at age 8. While some of the stuff I heard was insane at least I was gone by a certain time. And it as never that crazy.... but I remember hearingabout how the Philistines cut out Samson's eyes... and I said, how? Because I didn't understand how you could use scissors without something to hold on to, an edge to start cutting. And I think my teacher made a scissor-cutting motion with her hands. It's insane how people feel comfortable telling their children that some guy was nailed to a cross and speared in the side and bled to death for them.

I watched this movie last night and wow, totally scary. We were headed at one time in that direction but we left our church BEFORE I became an exer because I didn't agree with speaking in tongues nor them teaching the kids to speak in them.

Found it funny that Betty (I think that was her name) was giving a sermon on how people are "fat and lazy and not willing to fast for Jesus)...she apparently hasn't given too many meals up for Jesus either, so I'm thinking "hypocrite". She also speaks about Harry Potter as if he were a real person BUT...where is the head honcho Wizard from Lord of the Rings in all of this? One of the moms had that book on her table. Don't see any condemning of that guy going on.

Rachael, my goodness where to start. She is VERY strong in her belief, probably more so than a lot of children and adults, very bold. When she was outside coloring the cross and saying that "God doesn't like *dead* churches" but rather ones where people "shout and jump and worship" or he isn't there sounded like numerous sermons we had attending our Charismatic Pentacostal church.

The little blonde boy who said that he sometimes questioned the bible killed me. I wanted to reach through my screen, pull him out, and take him away from that INSANE nightmare. That poor child is going to be thoroughly screwed emotionally if it hasn't taken its toll already.

The Ted Haggard clip cracked me up, lmao. What a goofy looking creature that guy is, lol.

Complete and utter brainwashing is going on but yet I find myself very sympathetic to them because I used to be in their shoes. It was very obvious that these people wholeheartedly love the "Lord" and are TERRIFIED of hell. My heart broke for the children, all of them and in the end I was even more thankful to have escaped the madness of evangelical christianity.

• 2 months later...

This film is disturbing, because I was bought up with this shit. It's even here in Australia.

Oh yeah...I lost my entire family because of it too. I had to break all ties with them because they're so wound up in this cult and in denial over their abuse of me that went on for years. My father is a fundy pastor so dishes this shit out.

This movement is toxic.

I've seen that movie and it is scarier than shit.

So many happy memories of Germany in the 1930s...

So, was it quite so insane in your day?