Goodbye Jesus

I Hate Urgent Care

Purple

Which is that there exists in the current Republican ideal an ingrained belief that anybody who has a lot of wealth is better than everybody else, because of the assumption that they've done something to "earn" their wealth - struggled out of poverty, built an empire from the ground up, or some other sort of 19th-century self-made American kind of thing. In the minds of people like Dan Quayle, wealthy people really are the "best" people, and everybody else can go to hell.

Very much the Neo-Conservative view of things. My roomate is absolutely convinced that if everybody just bothered to look and were willing to work, there are plenty of jobs in America where one could get a job with good pay and health benefits. You CANNOT convince him otherwise. He thought I had nothing to complain about when I was getting reamed by medical bills even WITH insurance and had to stop critical care for my kidneys because I couldn't afford to keep paying $400+ bills coming every couple of weeks. I couldn't believe anybody could be THAT dense. But he is. He's completely failed to connect in his mind that he was essentially telling me that it was my fault I couldn't get adequete coverage and it REALLY pissed me off.

Well golly gee, give me a CEO job. Come on, I could do it. I can earn that money, just hire me.

My roomie admires and sides with "Big Bidness" mostly because he admires wealth and power. He thinks that our current health care benefits are fine...mainly because he's never had anything go seriously wrong with his health...yet. Boy, is he going to be upset and forget all about his current views the day his body starts breaking down and he needs extensive medical care. Because one day, it will.

What NeoCons fail to understand in their "I've got mine, screw you" attitudes is that in order to aquire wealth, keep wealth, circulate wealth, and manage wealth, you need OTHER PEOPLE. You can't get money if nobody pays you for what you have to offer. They see people in terms of their "marketability" and ignore their humanity. Their philosophy works around "Well, what can you do for me? Why should I care about you if you can't do anything for me?"

Except, who is it that works their businesses and keeps them running? The lower classes. Who if you don't give THEM a reason to stay at your company, such as paying them decent wages and giving them health benefits which are basic human needs, they cost you money in the long run.

Ironic, isn't it?

Very much the Neo-Conservative view of things. My roomate is absolutely convinced that if everybody just bothered to look and were willing to work, there are plenty of jobs in America where one could get a job with good pay and health benefits. You CANNOT convince him otherwise. He thought I had nothing to complain about when I was getting reamed by medical bills even WITH insurance and had to stop critical care for my kidneys because I couldn't afford to keep paying $400+ bills coming every couple of weeks. I couldn't believe anybody could be THAT dense. But he is. He's completely failed to connect in his mind that he was essentially telling me that it was my fault I couldn't get adequete coverage and it REALLY pissed me off.

Well neocon mentality could be described as based on ignorance of others' existence. My mother, who is a nurse, totally believes that healthcare should remain in the private, profit sector, as should everything else. She figures if you're too poor to obtain health care, you probably deserve it. How could you deserve it, you ask? Well, she would answer, you could be black. Or Hispanic. Or an immigrant.

My mother consistently votes conservative, Republican, pro-business. Yet my mother never, ever watches the news (avoids it at all costs), reads the paper or any books that aren't about gardening, decorating or shitty romances, and refuses to discuss anything remotely resembling politics or anything that has to do with politics - unless, of course, it's to support the ultraprotestant Christian, white, pro-business, Republican ideal she believes in. As soon as you start making arguments that perhaps equal work demands equal pay, or that trickle-down economics isn't healthy, or that perhaps blacks, Hispanics, the working class, Catholics, Muslims and others should all deserve equal protection and opportunity, or that perhaps crime and poverty could be alliviated by improving the standard of living of the destitute - that's when she starts telling you to shut up and talking over you so she doesn't have to hear what you're saying.

She does this because she is perfectly aware (although she won't admit it) of the fact that if she is truly aware of these issues she will have no good reason to keep her current political leanings.