Goodbye Jesus

Whoa, I'm Shocked!

Guest pseudoscientist

Guest pseudoscientist

I find it somewhat amusing that people can actually unite under a shared disbelief in Christianity. I identify myself as a Christian, but I have never been religious and only recently developed an interest in religion. And I swear, you ex-Christians here spend a lot more time thinking about Christianity than I've ever had! How ironic. Cheers.

Was that a rant? That was a rant.

Of course we do. Just like the slaves discussed the slavery and the white people, or just like the Evangelical and Catholic Christians discuss Atheism. Go figure...

What was the bloody point of that? Of course we think and talk about Christianity. It was an enormous part of our lives; we share a common past. That past has affected us for better or for worse, and i'd venture to say more for worse than for better, and continues to haunt most of us on some level. Of course we talk about it.

Why are you here?

Guest pseudoscientist

I think slaves were more interested in discussing freedom as opposed to the slavery itself. As for Christians, I would think they're more interested in talking about (the trinity) God rather than about atheism. In any case, dwelling on the nonexistence of (the trinity) God sort of defeats the point of becoming an atheist or a believer of some other religion, y'know?

Guest pseudoscientist
What was the bloody point of that? Of course we think and talk about Christianity. It was an enormous part of our lives; we share a common past. That past has affected us for better or for worse, and i'd venture to say more for worse than for better, and continues to haunt most of us on some level. Of course we talk about it.

Why are you here?

As I've said, I recently developed an interest in religion. This is one of the forums that popped up when I googled "Christian," and I found it stunningly amusing that I just had to register.

Thanks for the welcome.

I find it somewhat amusing that people can actually unite under a shared disbelief in Christianity. I identify myself as a Christian, but I have never been religious and only recently developed an interest in religion. And I swear, you ex-Christians here spend a lot more time thinking about Christianity than I've ever had! How ironic. Cheers.

I don't know that what you just pecked out actually was a rant. More of a question that you posed relating your incomprehension as to the importance of this site. Tell me there aren't a myriad fundy sites. What is their purpose? We're all on here for the "strength in numbers" concept to some extent or another, the only difference is we do our research, we think not just nod our heads along to the ramblings of some overpayed minister.

You identify yourself as a Christian but just recently became interested in religion? It's funny how that works.

What an idiot.

That's like saying that sober alcoholics sure do talk about drinking a lot.

Jesus Buttfucking Christ what a tool.

I think slaves were more interested in discussing freedom as opposed to the slavery itself. As for Christians, I would think they're more interested in talking about (the trinity) God rather than about atheism. In any case, dwelling on the nonexistence of (the trinity) God sort of defeats the point of becoming an atheist or a believer of some other religion, y'know?

Very funny you're here then. Is it to discuss ... what really? Are you curious? Are you interested in someone else's viewpoints?

What we're discussing is... that Christianity is false, a lie and a delusion... just like slaves didn't talk about slavery but about the freedom. We talk about the freedom from RELIGION. You talk about bondage to your religion.

And about Christian's talking about atheism, well, I guess you're either not a Christian, or you can't talk to us what we believe or not. Or you would fall into the category you just claimed doesn't exist.

When we discuss Christianity and religion, we discuss the side of it that relates to psychology, sociology, mythology, history, science and all other natural ontological sides to it. So we're not dwelling on.. "I wonder if God exists after all", but on "why the heck do people still believe this stupid things, don't they know better?" And it's a wide difference between those two.

--edit--

I know this might be over your head, but this site has one purpose, to support and build up the strength and moral amongst people that lost their faith in religion.

(sarc) Heck, another way maybe is to shoot everyone that lose faith, that would solve the problem, wouldn't it? But talking about it? Nah, it can't be allowed. No one that is hurt from a cult should ever be allowed to talk about it and try to figure out why it happened and what went wrong. That's is completely unthinkable isn't it? (end sarc)

Former Follier, necrosmith, and HanSolo, you all make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. All these things were spinning in my head as I read pseudoscientist's remarks but I thought, 'No, Sarah, calm down, maybe you're overreacting and this guy's NOT really being a condescending tool. Maybe." So I didn't reply any further.

But anyway, pseudoscientist, if you're a ) now identifying yourself as xian and b ) haven't affiliated yourself much with religion in the past and, furthermore, c ) haven't really thought about it much, there's no way you'd be able to understand the function of this community unless you ASK us. Please don't assume you know what 'the point' of leaving a religion, or adopting atheism, or converting to any other religion is. There is no one 'point'... there are as many 'points' as there are people.

Hello Pseudo.... If you've just recently become interested in religion - you might want to avoid the extremes of literalism - lest you wind up here someday ranting about how you wasted years of your life on extremist/literalist Christian beliefs. :wicked:

The main purpose of this site as far as I can see is support. So basically pseudoscientist you just came into a support group and mocked people for talking about the thing they have escaped from, and that many were abused by. You owe everyone here an apology.

And I swear, you ex-Christians here spend a lot more time thinking about Christianity than I've ever had! How ironic. Cheers.

Actually it's sort of sad. Do you realize you just implied pride that you've thought less about your chosen religion than we have?

Does the tragedy escape you?

What I find shocking is how little time christians spend really thinking about their own religion. Most of them, because they know the major "stories" of the bible, and have a few handfuls of single verses memorized, feel this understanding is perfectly comparable with actually having read the bible.

Here is something worth thinking about....

Why does the Christian god value belief over actions?

(Nods to HanSolo)

I find it somewhat amusing that people can actually unite under a shared disbelief in Christianity......

Of course you need to believe that. It's all part of the mental gymnastics one has to go through to maintain a belief in fairy tales.

Why would you make the false assumption that your silly god is all we talk about? Except for a few minutes a day here, your god is irrelevant and not in any of my thoughts..... that is unless I see some silly christian acting silly. They never fail to amuse me.

Here is something worth thinking about....

Why does the Christian god value belief over actions?

(Nods to HanSolo)

:thanks:

Jesus is the Disneyland god. Just believe really, really hard, and wish on a star and you'll go to heaven.

Huh??

I don't understand, pseudo...

What do you mean, you are "amused"?? You identify yourself as a christian, but you're not religious?? That makes no sense. You've only recently developed an interest in religion? But you say you're a christian?? You comment on ex-christians thinking about christianity, yet you say you're a christian, but you never did??

That is not irony, pseudo, that's nonsense.

Please tell us what the bloody hell you're talking about...

Hi pseudo,

Welcome to the site.

I think I understand where you're coming from: you really don't care that much about a faith that you just don't think about that much.

Most of us here at ex-c land, on the other hand, were Knee Deep In The Freakin' Hoopla. We were members of ministry teams, outreach programs, discipleship/mentoring stuff. The list just goes on and on. We were Jesus Fanatics. We took it WAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. And when we came to our senses and stopped believing, the shock waves are felt often all of our lives. Being brainwashed about your very existence will screw you up for a long time.

You simply are a lukewarm believer it sounds like to me. No biggie to me, no criticism intended. But our anger and bitterness about being duped and lied to (and even worse, duping and lying to others), wasting some of the best years of our lives on a non-existing deity is understandable if you had been in our shoes.

But you haven't. I hope you stick around on the site and check it out. I also hope it keeps you from becoming a Jesus Fanatic.

Guest ukchris
Actually it's sort of sad. Do you realize you just implied pride that you've thought less about your chosen religion than we have?

Does the tragedy escape you?

That was great :woohoo:

And I swear, you ex-Christians here spend a lot more time thinking about Christianity than I've ever had! How ironic. Cheers.

Indeed - and it's even more ironic that we know more about Xianity than most Xians.

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Xianity is the enemy, so naturally, we know it well.

For a "secular" Xian, you sure rave like an apologist. That thin veneer of "objectivity" falls apart fast, huh?

I swear, you ex-Christians here spend a lot more time thinking about Christianity than I've ever had!

...which is why we are ex-christians.

I find it somewhat amusing that people can actually unite under a shared disbelief in Christianity.

We are not unitied in a shared disbelief. It is true we do not believe, but we are united in the support of each other over coming the brainwashing that we endured. Some here are atheist, some are deist.

We all have a past in common and it helps to hear that someone else went through the same thing. This site is helping me through one of the toughest times in my life. I just left the faith four months ago and my wife and kids still believe. It would be so much easier if I still believed. It is much better to believe the truth than to persist in delusion, not matter how comforting it is - Carl Sagan

I refuse to live a life of delusion.

:twitch:

Uhhhhm...you DO realize this is an internet forum? For talking about Christianity/Ex-Christianity? Just sort of go figures that's what we'd be thinking about and discussing it here then, wouldn't we?

And why is it ironic if we do spend a lot of time thinking/discussing it? Just because we believe it's a myth doesn't mean it's not a facinating subject and we can't enjoy talking about it.

Hey there Pseudoscientist. I can tell you why I came here and maybe that will provide you with some insight. I don't know. I came here because I once was a Christian but no longer am. The circumstances of my life are such that I am still yet surrounded by those who believe. That can sometimes be an isolating experience. After some time of that, I felt that it would be nice to encounter those who shared this same sort of conundrum. So here I am.

I actually spend very little time thinking about Christianity. I spend much, much more time trying to obtain a more suitable understanding rather than rail against outdated modes of understanding. I don't hate Christainity and I'm not resentful of those who remain in it. I maintain a hope that in time those that still adhere to it will grow out of it, taking with them that which is good about Christianity while leaving many of it's childish notions and ways behind.

Anyway, for what it's worth I do think that to spend too much time wishing that the past had been different can be counter-productive. I think at some point it is proper to simply accept the past, embrace the present, and try and anticipate the future.

I find it somewhat amusing...

I find it more ironic than amusing.

Perhaps if you spent as much time thinking about Christianity as we did, there'd be no reason for us to exist.